Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Default Common call for launching file browser

tom bell wrote:
> I opened a konsole and typed "firefox /home" and it went through.

xdg-open $HOME

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> said:
> Charlie, you _know_ this is Linux - we can do anything!
>
> As long as you can identify the desktop, it can't be that difficult
> (as xdg-open shows) to invoked the appropriate application for the
> desktop - or it could be done through the "alternatives" system.

As for xdg-open, it seems to me that it only opens a file with the
preferred application or a URL with the preferred browser. Am I missing
something? If it /does/ open a file manager I haven't been able to do
it.
I am not familiar with the "alternatives" system.
<googles>
hmmm...
<reads man page>
I can't find a correct group name for a file manager
in /etc/alternatives.
<checks gconf-editor>
I can't find a place to change the default file manager anywhere. I
would love to set it to use PCManFM if I only could.

I /know/ that we, as Linux users, can do anything. I am stumped by
the, "how?"
Even inside my own system this doesn't look so easy, much less
for /any/ system.

Help?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 AM
David Curtis

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:43:58 -0500
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cybe_r_wizard@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> said:
> > Charlie, you _know_ this is Linux - we can do anything!
> >
> > As long as you can identify the desktop, it can't be that difficult
> > (as xdg-open shows) to invoked the appropriate application for the
> > desktop - or it could be done through the "alternatives" system.
>
> As for xdg-open, it seems to me that it only opens a file with the
> preferred application or a URL with the preferred browser. Am I missing
> something? If it /does/ open a file manager I haven't been able to do
> it.

'xdg-open ~' or 'xdg-open /etc' works for me. XFCE on Jaunty. LXDE does _not_ work, there seems to be a problem with pcmanfm and /etc/mailcap. A bug?

> I am not familiar with the "alternatives" system.
> <googles>
> hmmm...
> <reads man page>
> I can't find a correct group name for a file manager
> in /etc/alternatives.

Right, there's no x-file-manager, or whatever it would be.

> <checks gconf-editor>
> I can't find a place to change the default file manager anywhere. I
> would love to set it to use PCManFM if I only could.
>
> I /know/ that we, as Linux users, can do anything. I am stumped by
> the, "how?"

Maybe we could get a 'sensible-file-manager' script?

> Even inside my own system this doesn't look so easy, much less
> for /any/ system.
>
> Help?

It seems xdg-utils is the way to go, as long as the DE is compliant/set up properly. I know nothing about mime types or mailcap re:LXDE/pcmanfm.

--
David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com>

Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM
Victor Padro

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:24 PM, David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com> wrote:

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:43:58 -0500

"Cybe R. Wizard" <cybe_r_wizard@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> *said:

> > Charlie, you _know_ this is Linux - we can do anything!

> > As long as you can identify the desktop, it can't be that difficult

> > (as xdg-open shows) to invoked the appropriate application for the

> > desktop - or it could be done through the "alternatives" system.

> As for xdg-open, it seems to me that it only opens a file with the

> preferred application or a URL with the preferred browser. *Am I missing

> something? *If it /does/ open a file manager I haven't been able to do

> it.

'xdg-open ~' or 'xdg-open /etc' works for me. XFCE on Jaunty. LXDE does _not_ work, there seems to be a problem with pcmanfm and /etc/mailcap. A bug?

> I am not familiar with the "alternatives" system.

> <googles>

> hmmm...

> <reads man page>

> I can't find a correct group name for a file manager

> in /etc/alternatives.

Right, there's no x-file-manager, or whatever it would be.

> <checks gconf-editor>

> I can't find a place to change the default file manager anywhere. *I

> would love to set it to use PCManFM if I only could.

> I /know/ that we, as Linux users, can do anything. *I am stumped by

> the, "how?"

Maybe we could get a 'sensible-file-manager' script?

> Even inside my own system this doesn't look so easy, much less

> for /any/ system.

> Help?

It seems xdg-utils is the way to go, as long as the DE is compliant/set up properly. I know nothing about mime types or mailcap re:LXDE/pcmanfm.

--

David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com>

I don't know if this helps but in gnome terminal you can do:

vpadro@workstation:/# nautilus /home/vpadro

and it opens the vpadro's home folder(s)...

hope this what you wanted in the first place...

P.S. actually I have configured a shortcut using Ctrl-R to open a terminal and perhaps I'm trying to emulate the Super+R in windows...who knows.* * old habbits...

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Victor Padro

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 1:48 AM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:24 PM, David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com> wrote:

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:43:58 -0500

"Cybe R. Wizard" <cybe_r_wizard@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> *said:

> > Charlie, you _know_ this is Linux - we can do anything!

> > As long as you can identify the desktop, it can't be that difficult

> > (as xdg-open shows) to invoked the appropriate application for the

> > desktop - or it could be done through the "alternatives" system.

> As for xdg-open, it seems to me that it only opens a file with the

> preferred application or a URL with the preferred browser. *Am I missing

> something? *If it /does/ open a file manager I haven't been able to do

> it.

'xdg-open ~' or 'xdg-open /etc' works for me. XFCE on Jaunty. LXDE does _not_ work, there seems to be a problem with pcmanfm and /etc/mailcap. A bug?

> I am not familiar with the "alternatives" system.

> <googles>

> hmmm...

> <reads man page>

> I can't find a correct group name for a file manager

> in /etc/alternatives.

Right, there's no x-file-manager, or whatever it would be.

> <checks gconf-editor>

> I can't find a place to change the default file manager anywhere. *I

> would love to set it to use PCManFM if I only could.

> I /know/ that we, as Linux users, can do anything. *I am stumped by

> the, "how?"

Maybe we could get a 'sensible-file-manager' script?

> Even inside my own system this doesn't look so easy, much less

> for /any/ system.

> Help?

It seems xdg-utils is the way to go, as long as the DE is compliant/set up properly. I know nothing about mime types or mailcap re:LXDE/pcmanfm.

--

David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com>

I don't know if this helps but in gnome terminal you can do:

vpadro@workstation:/# nautilus /home/vpadro

and it opens the vpadro's home folder(s)...

hope this what you wanted in the first place...

P.S. actually I have configured a shortcut using Ctrl-R to open a terminal and perhaps I'm trying to emulate the Super+R in windows...who knows.* * old habbits...

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

you can do something like in windows to open the IE from the Run window:
iexplore.exe http://www.google.com
but in linux is:
vpadro@workstation:/# firefox http://www.google.com

therefore many applications can be run from the terminal just like in windows...

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Derek Broughton

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> said:
>> Charlie, you _know_ this is Linux - we can do anything!
>>
>> As long as you can identify the desktop, it can't be that difficult
>> (as xdg-open shows) to invoked the appropriate application for the
>> desktop - or it could be done through the "alternatives" system.
>
> As for xdg-open, it seems to me that it only opens a file with the
> preferred application or a URL with the preferred browser. Am I missing
> something? If it /does/ open a file manager I haven't been able to do
> it.

In KDE it opens a "file" _with_ the file manager ("kfmclient"). It doesn't
leave you _in_ the file manager, because that isn't what you asked it to
do. However, if you ask it to open a directory ("xdg-open ~"), then sure
enough you get a file browser. Perhaps you can't do that in Gnome :-(
--
derek

Old 03-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I work in a team (windows and linux) which develop programs using Qt for
> both systems. One of the windows team has created a functionality which
> opens the file browser (explorer) to browse through files. She uses
>
> explorer c:mydir
>
> What is a linux equivalent for doing a similar thing that will work in both
> KDE and GNOME (and perhaps also XFCE or other window managers)?

Don't forget to add an override option, or document how users can
change their preferred file manager. Users will configure their
preferred PDF app, web browser, and email client, but do not generally
configure their preferred file manager as that is opened from a direct
shortcut.

For instance, in KDe3 the default file manager was Konqueror, but in
KDE4 it is Dolphin. Despite this, many KDE4 users use Konqueror: they
just add a Konqueror shortcut to the panel. Other KDe users use
Kommander. Still others may prefer to manage files in Konsole! I know
that quite a few Gnome users use Thunar instead of Nautilus as well.

In short, don't assume that the configured default is the preferred
file manager. Either give an override option, or document how the user
can set his preferred file manager.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Dotan Cohen

Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Victor Padro

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> *said:

>> Charlie, you _know_ this is Linux - we can do anything!

>> As long as you can identify the desktop, it can't be that difficult

>> (as xdg-open shows) to invoked the appropriate application for the

>> desktop - or it could be done through the "alternatives" system.

> As for xdg-open, it seems to me that it only opens a file with the

> preferred application or a URL with the preferred browser. *Am I missing

> something? *If it /does/ open a file manager I haven't been able to do

> it.

In KDE it opens a "file" _with_ the file manager ("kfmclient"). *It doesn't

leave you _in_ the file manager, because that isn't what you asked it to

do. *However, if you ask it to open a directory ("xdg-open ~"), then sure

enough you get a file browser. *Perhaps you can't do that in Gnome :-(

--

derek

can someone using KDE(kubuntu) could do this on the konsole:
youruser@yourmachine:/# konqueror /home/username (or any other directory)maybe it works.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Dotan Cohen

> can someone using KDE(kubuntu) could do this on the konsole:
> youruser@yourmachine:/# konqueror /home/username (or any other directory)
> maybe it works.

What if the user prefers Dolphin? Kommander?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il