FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Pol
 
Default scientific authoring at the summer of code?

I would like to suggest developers to consider designing a powerful
environment for scientific text authoring, centrered around the lyx editor.
Will you please forward my request to the most interested developers?

In my view, authors should be able work on lyx texts together with
applications for automatic symbolic/numeric computations (maxima,
mathematca, maple, mathlab, etc), geometrical contructions (geogebra, etc),
plotting graphs (gnuplot, etc)
Moreover, since lyx is planned to switch to a suitable xml native format, in
the next future (i guess in one year), it might be interesting having
konqueror able to render lyx text.
Further developments could deal with format conversion with koffice, for a
well specified set of latex classes.

I would be glad to contribute to such project, as user.

thank you
---Pol


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
"D. R. Evans"
 
Default scientific authoring at the summer of code?

Pol said the following at 03/11/2009 04:44 PM :
> I would like to suggest developers to consider designing a powerful
> environment for scientific text authoring, centrered around the lyx editor.
> Will you please forward my request to the most interested developers?

1. This is definitely not the right place to post your e-mail. I'm not sure
where would be, at least not without a lot more detail in the request.
Maybe TUG? I know they're involved with the SoC.

2. I really don't understand what you're asking for, so you should make
that a lot clearer. You seem to be suggesting some set of new features
revolving around lyx. I've used TeX for more than 20 years, in both
scientific and non-scientific environments. Although I'm sure there is an
audience for lyx I'm not sure who actually uses it: no one I know does,
because it's simply easier to use an ordinary text editor in almost all
cases. Maybe you should try to locate a reflector or support forum
dedicated to lyx.

>
> In my view, authors should be able work on lyx texts together with
> applications for automatic symbolic/numeric computations (maxima,
> mathematca, maple, mathlab, etc), geometrical contructions (geogebra, etc),
> plotting graphs (gnuplot, etc)

I don't understand what you're saying here. Some explicit examples would be
helpful (but not on this reflector... like I said, this request belongs
somewhere else).

> Moreover, since lyx is planned to switch to a suitable xml native format, in
> the next future (i guess in one year), it might be interesting having
> konqueror able to render lyx text.

Again, I'm a bit lost. "lyx text" is just text (I think), so konqueror can
already render it.

> Further developments could deal with format conversion with koffice, for a
> well specified set of latex classes.

You can already convert from .doc and .odt to LaTeX if you really want to.
You can't go the other way (at least, not in any way that's very useful),
because TeX contains far more information than any word-processing format.

Anyway, I suggest that you be much more specific about what you're thinking
of, and then submit it to the appropriate place. (Although, actually, it's
pretty late to be submitting an idea; most of the groups involved in SoC
seem to have already figured out what they want to do.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Pol
 
Default scientific authoring at the summer of code?

<posted & mailed>

D. R. Evans wrote:
I don't understand what you're saying here. Some explicit examples would
> be helpful (but not on this reflector... like I said, this request belongs
> somewhere else).

I mean to be able to compute math expressions that appear in a lyx text and
have the result in their place. The same for geometric pictures: changing
features of a picture so that the new picture replaces the original one.

>
> Again, I'm a bit lost. "lyx text" is just text (I think), so konqueror can
> already render it.

Math lyx text cannot be rendered by konqueror. I think a specific kpart is
needed

>
> You can already convert from .doc and .odt to LaTeX if you really want to.
> You can't go the other way (at least, not in any way that's very useful),
> because TeX contains far more information than any word-processing format.
>
That does not work very well.

---P


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org