FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

> That said, Thubderbird is not likely to ever use it. So, until there is an
> email app that knows how to handle HTML email as well as T-Bird, I will not
> be able to take advantage of this. I really wish KMail would grow up.
>

Grow up? I'd love to hear how. I will file the relevant bugs and help
you to get kmail to fit your needs.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-*-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه*-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-*-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-*-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

On Tuesday 10 March 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Grow up? I'd love to hear how. I will file the relevant bugs and help
> you to get kmail to fit your needs.

About the only addition to Kmail I would like to see is embedded images so
you can add captions to each photo.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Paul Lemmons
 
Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)
From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>
To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: 03/10/2009 10:29 AM

That said, Thubderbird is not likely to ever use it. So, until there is an
email app that knows how to handle HTML email as well as T-Bird, I will not
be able to take advantage of this. I really wish KMail would grow up.




Grow up? I'd love to hear how. I will file the relevant bugs and help
you to get kmail to fit your needs.



been there done that

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86423

If you go to bugs.kde.org and do a search for kmail and html you will
get more than 200 hits. Kmail is totally useless in a corporate
environment where html based email is not only the norm but a
requirement. I wish it were not so but it is. To call its support of
html formatted email poor would be a complement.


--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> That said, Thubderbird is not likely to ever use it. So, until there is
>> an email app that knows how to handle HTML email as well as T-Bird, I
>> will not be able to take advantage of this. I really wish KMail would
>> grow up.
>>
>
> Grow up? I'd love to hear how. I will file the relevant bugs and help
> you to get kmail to fit your needs.

I'm sure he means in the sense of being able to send HTML mail. I only send
one HTML email a year (it's a party invite) but I have to jump through
hoops to do it because I use KMail, and I can't even forward an HTML mail
_through_ it without something being lost - and there have been plenty of
bugs filed about this over the years. Nobody's interested in implementing
it. Unless somebody comes up with a pluggable html editor that KMail can
use, I very much doubt it will ever happen.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

> been there done that
>
> http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86423
>

Ah, HTML mail. The devs know and are actually working on it. Yes, they
are. I've discussed this over on the KDE-PIM and bugsquad lists. There
is hope for KDE 4.3 but I don't expect it to be usable until 4.4.
That's about a year away.

> If you go to bugs.kde.org and do a search for kmail and html you will get
> more than 200 hits. Kmail is totally useless in a corporate environment
> where html based email is not only the norm but a requirement. I wish it
> were not so but it is. To call its support of html formatted email poor
> would be a complement.
>

I know.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-*-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه*-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-*-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-*-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

> About the only addition to Kmail I would like to see is *embedded images so
> you can add captions to each photo.
>

The email format itself does not support inline images. The best that
you can do is to use either HTML mail or some proprietary email
replacement, such as AOL or Exchange. Kmail in KDE 4.3 will support
enough HTML to handle inline images, and that should be out in about
five to six months.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-*-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه*-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-*-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-*-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Pastor JW
 
Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 12:20:10 pm Paul Lemmons wrote:
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)
> From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>
> To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: 03/10/2009 10:29 AM
>
> >> That said, Thubderbird is not likely to ever use it. So, until there is
> >> an email app that knows how to handle HTML email as well as T-Bird, I
> >> will not be able to take advantage of this. I really wish KMail would
> >> grow up.
> >
> > Grow up? I'd love to hear how. I will file the relevant bugs and help
> > you to get kmail to fit your needs.
>
> been there done that
>
> http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86423
>
> If you go to bugs.kde.org and do a search for kmail and html you will
> get more than 200 hits. Kmail is totally useless in a corporate
> environment where html based email is not only the norm but a
> requirement.

My son's company (a bank), has fired several people for using html emails on
company network systems, Of course they also fired five people just last week
for allowing their Vista equipped laptops onto the network so not all
corporations hold your view. My son's now ex boss was one of the ones fired.


--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Paul Lemmons
 
Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re:Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)
From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com>
To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Date: 03/11/2009 12:16 PM

On Tuesday 10 March 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:


Grow up? I'd love to hear how. I will file the relevant bugs and help
you to get kmail to fit your needs.



About the only addition to Kmail I would like to see is embedded images so
you can add captions to each photo.

Thunderbird will do this.

I agree with you though. I wish KMail would catch up with the real
world. KMail and the whole KDE-Pim suite has such huge potential. It has
all of the right parts to compete with other corporate office
productivity suites but for some reason there does not seem to be much
interest in making it any more than a home user or hobbyist's
distraction. It is like a Hollywood Old West Salon. From the front it
looks real. Take a look behind the swinging doors, though and all you
see a dirt lot. The real thing is somewhere else...


I just noticed that Dotan says that the developers are working on it and
it should be ready in a year... I have waited for 3 or 4 years now and
have become both impatient and disgruntled. If he is right, one more
year will seem like it is just around the corner... on the left through
the swinging doors... I sure hope there is a place to sit and cold root
beer on tap


--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Paul Lemmons
 
Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re:Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)
From: Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org>
To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: 03/11/2009 02:01 PM

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 12:20:10 pm Paul Lemmons wrote:


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)
From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>
To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: 03/10/2009 10:29 AM



That said, Thubderbird is not likely to ever use it. So, until there is
an email app that knows how to handle HTML email as well as T-Bird, I
will not be able to take advantage of this. I really wish KMail would
grow up.


Grow up? I'd love to hear how. I will file the relevant bugs and help
you to get kmail to fit your needs.


been there done that

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86423

If you go to bugs.kde.org and do a search for kmail and html you will
get more than 200 hits. Kmail is totally useless in a corporate
environment where html based email is not only the norm but a
requirement.



My son's company (a bank), has fired several people for using html emails on
company network systems, Of course they also fired five people just last week
for allowing their Vista equipped laptops onto the network so not all
corporations hold your view. My son's now ex boss was one of the ones fired.
To say that all companies hold this view is clearly wrong. Likewise, to
say that all companies don't is also incorrect. And honestly, it is not
*my* view. It is the reality in which I live.



--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

> I agree with you though. I wish KMail would catch up with the real world.
> KMail and the whole KDE-Pim suite has such huge potential. It has all of the
> right parts to compete with other corporate office productivity suites but
> for some reason there does not seem to be much interest in making it any
> more than a home user or hobbyist's distraction. It is like a Hollywood Old
> West Salon. From the front it looks real. Take a look behind the swinging
> doors, though and all you see a dirt lot. The real thing is somewhere
> else...
>

ׁHave you any suggestions for replacements? There are at least four
outstanding KDE-PIM bugs that I must 'work around' at least once a
day. I forget why I discounted Evolution as a viable alternative, but
if you have other suggestions then I would like to hear them. Thanks.

> I just noticed that Dotan says that the developers are working on it and it
> should be ready in a year... I have waited for 3 or 4 years now and have
> become both impatient and disgruntled. If he is right, one more year will
> seem like it is just around the corner... on the left through the swinging
> doors... I sure hope there is a place to sit and cold root beer on tap *
>

To be honest, KDE 4.3 wil see KDE-PIM on the new Akonadi backend and I
expect there to be problems. However, I have very high hopes for 4.2
even though it is a full year away. Not only in KDE-PIM, but in Plasma
(specifically, spaces or places or whatever they call the multiple
desktops). A lot of foundations were laid in KDE 4.0 and that's why it
was so feature-incomplete. Now, all those new features that are
possible due to Plasma will start coming out. It will be exciting!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-*-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه*-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-*-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-*-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org