Old 03-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Derek Broughton

Default Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

Pastor JW wrote:

> My son's company (a bank), has fired several people for using html emails
> on company network systems,

There's a significant difference between inappropriate use of email and
using emails formatted with things like bullets. I'd be _really_ surprised
if a bank disallowed that, but HTML mail support is required to do it
(though, of course, KMail can do _that_ much).
--
derek

Old 03-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Paul Lemmons wrote:

> I have used Evolution and it suffers its own problems. I used it for
> over a year with its connector to Exchange and it was just never stable.
> I still go back a look every obnce in a while and it has not improved
> much. I have setup an alias "kill-evo" that I used almost daily to start
> it up clean and hope it stayed up.

I completely agree. To paraphrase the old joke: "A man goes to see his
doctor, who tells him he's very sick. He says he'd like to get a second
opinion - so the doctor says, 'OK, and you're ugly too'". Evolution is the
only tool I can use to access the one client's Exchange server, but it's a
poor tool. And It's bad enough that evo doesn't work terribly well, it's
worse that it's ugly.
--
derek

Old 03-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 19:29 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > That said, Thubderbird is not likely to ever use it. So, until there is an
> > email app that knows how to handle HTML email as well as T-Bird, I will not
> > be able to take advantage of this. I really wish KMail would grow up.
> >

> Grow up? I'd love to hear how. I will file the relevant bugs and help
> you to get kmail to fit your needs.

I have some news-related email that I allow that uses html images within
the text. I find it annoying as heck, as the article will display some
text, dnload the image, jerk me to the top of the body of the message,
then dnload the next image, jerk me to the top again, dnload the next
image, JERK ME BACK again to the top ...annoying behavior. Extremely
annoying. I fail to see the utility nor the necessity of it. I have yet
to see an image that conveys more meaning than the text that makes up
for being tossed around like a rag-doll while trying to READ the
message. If I were a knuckle dragging drool-er, pictures are nIcE. Ham
bushes and blanket trees would be too. And sing-alongs. <cackles> Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 22:27 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > About the only addition to Kmail I would like to see is embedded images so
> > you can add captions to each photo.
> >

> The email format itself does not support inline images. The best that
> you can do is to use either HTML mail or some proprietary email
> replacement, such as AOL or Exchange. Kmail in KDE 4.3 will support
> enough HTML to handle inline images, and that should be out in about
> five to six months.

I think I mentioned this already, Evolution handles in-text images just
fine. But for the life of me, I cannot get it to generate in-text images
other than using just one for background. So, you can annotate one
graphic image with text, in that fashion, but only one at a time. AFAIK,
Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I have some news-related email that I allow that uses html images within
> the text. I find it annoying as heck, as the article will display some
> text, dnload the image, jerk me to the top of the body of the message,
> then dnload the next image, jerk me to the top again, dnload the next
> image, JERK ME BACK again to the top ...annoying behavior. Extremely
> annoying. I fail to see the utility nor the necessity of it. I have yet
> to see an image that conveys more meaning than the text that makes up
> for being tossed around like a rag-doll while trying to READ the
> message. If I were a knuckle dragging drool-er, pictures are nIcE. Ham
> bushes and blanket trees would be too. And sing-alongs. <cackles> Ric

This jerking behaviour is in Kmail? Have you tested in other clients
(thunderbird, for instance)? Please do, and file a bug with the name
of the email list. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Thursday 12 March 2009 04:46:52 Terrell Prud Jr. wrote:

> The truth, my fellow Free Software using friend, is that our competition
> is more than just Microsoft. It is the army of MCSE's who are scared to
> death for their jobs. That's why if it ain't Microsoft, then in their
> world, it just ain't, and if you actually bring up Linux, you sometimes
> get this:
>
> http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2009/03/tempers-flare-as-recession-creeps-into.html

Don't be afraid of the MCSE's. If it wasn't on the course, they can't answer the question. I'm not one myself but I once learned the course before doing a round of interviews. I asked every MCSE something directly from the course texts (90% got it right) and something very closely related but not directly from the course texts (nobody got it right). These days, I don't even bother interviewing people with MCSE. The last MCSE we employed didn't realise that ethernet needed a cable connected to the PC....

Apologies to anybody who actually has that qualification. The fact you're on this list indeminifies you. But you wouldn't get a job in my team.

Mark

Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Thursday 12 March 2009 19:02:10 Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 19:29 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > That said, Thubderbird is not likely to ever use it. So, until there is an
> > > email app that knows how to handle HTML email as well as T-Bird, I will not
> > > be able to take advantage of this. I really wish KMail would grow up.
> > >

> > Grow up? I'd love to hear how. I will file the relevant bugs and help
> > you to get kmail to fit your needs.
>
> I have some news-related email that I allow that uses html images within
> the text. I find it annoying as heck, as the article will display some
> text, dnload the image, jerk me to the top of the body of the message,
> then dnload the next image, jerk me to the top again, dnload the next
> image, JERK ME BACK again to the top ...annoying behavior. Extremely
> annoying. I fail to see the utility nor the necessity of it. I have yet
> to see an image that conveys more meaning than the text

No no, you can always represent a complex idea better with a picture.

A picture is worth a thousand words, unless those words are the words of an idiot. In which case, just give me the picture and I'll paraphrase.

Being jerked while reading your email is good.. although it depends on who is doing the jerking I guess.

Mark