Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   KGet, CPU and temperature (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/261003-kget-cpu-temperature.html)

"O. Sinclair" 03-11-2009 06:26 AM

KGet, CPU and temperature
 
Using Hardy 8.04.2 on a Dell laptop.

Just a note that I have several times noted that KGet can raise the CPU
temperature to dangerous levels EVEN WHEN no download or activity is
taking place. I just noted it again, shut down KGet (that was just
residing in tasktray) and the CPU temperature has gone down 20 Celsius.

Don't ask me why, I have not analysed it or filed a bug or even asked
some list or developer why - I have just noted the phenomena several times.

Sinclair

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 03-11-2009 02:07 PM

KGet, CPU and temperature
 
O. Sinclair wrote:

> Using Hardy 8.04.2 on a Dell laptop.
>
> Just a note that I have several times noted that KGet can raise the CPU
> temperature to dangerous levels EVEN WHEN no download or activity is
> taking place. I just noted it again, shut down KGet (that was just
> residing in tasktray) and the CPU temperature has gone down 20 Celsius.
>
> Don't ask me why, I have not analysed it or filed a bug or even asked
> some list or developer why - I have just noted the phenomena several
> times.

I'd suggest that no application should be capable of raising the CPU
temperature to dangerous levels unless your ACPI thermal settings are
broken. You really need to look into that. (on my last laptop, I found I
always had to unplug/replug the power after resuming from hibernate,
otherwise the ACPI sensor always reported 0 degrees C, and of course the
fans didn't come on).
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"O. Sinclair" 03-12-2009 05:33 AM

KGet, CPU and temperature
 
Derek Broughton wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Using Hardy 8.04.2 on a Dell laptop.
>>
>> Just a note that I have several times noted that KGet can raise the CPU
>> temperature to dangerous levels EVEN WHEN no download or activity is
>> taking place. I just noted it again, shut down KGet (that was just
>> residing in tasktray) and the CPU temperature has gone down 20 Celsius.
>>
>> Don't ask me why, I have not analysed it or filed a bug or even asked
>> some list or developer why - I have just noted the phenomena several
>> times.
>
> I'd suggest that no application should be capable of raising the CPU
> temperature to dangerous levels unless your ACPI thermal settings are
> broken. You really need to look into that. (on my last laptop, I found I
> always had to unplug/replug the power after resuming from hibernate,
> otherwise the ACPI sensor always reported 0 degrees C, and of course the
> fans didn't come on).
Maybe I overstated it when I wrote "dangerous" levels. Nevertheless -
that a single, nonactive, application does raise the temperature by 20 C
is strange and most unnecessary. I will look for where to file a bug.



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Willy Hamra 03-12-2009 11:10 PM

KGet, CPU and temperature
 
2009/3/12 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com>:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> O. Sinclair wrote:
>>
>>> Using Hardy 8.04.2 on a Dell laptop.
>>>
>>> Just a note that I have several times noted that KGet can raise the CPU
>>> temperature to dangerous levels EVEN WHEN no download or activity is
>>> taking place. I just noted it again, shut down KGet (that was just
>>> residing in tasktray) and the CPU temperature has gone down 20 Celsius.
>>>
>>> Don't ask me why, I have not analysed it or filed a bug or even asked
>>> some list or developer why - I have just noted the phenomena several
>>> times.
>>
>> I'd suggest that no application should be capable of raising the CPU
>> temperature to dangerous levels unless your ACPI thermal settings are
>> broken. *You really need to look into that. *(on my last laptop, I found I
>> always had to unplug/replug the power after resuming from hibernate,
>> otherwise the ACPI sensor always reported 0 degrees C, and of course the
>> fans didn't come on).
> Maybe I overstated it when I wrote "dangerous" levels. Nevertheless -
> that a single, nonactive, application does raise the temperature by 20 C
> is strange and most unnecessary. I will look for where to file a bug.
>
i actually remember this very same behaviour from kget when i used
hardy, and i posted about it here in the list. kget used to kill my
CPU even when idle

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.