FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Home Email Servers

I sent this once but I sent it as HTML. Whoops. Anyway...

Not strictly Kubuntu related this one, but there seem to be plenty of clever people on here. Kind of follows on from the kmail discussion we were having. Because I have one of these new-fangled laptop things ( ) I want to be able to access my email when I'm on the move. However, my ISP, in their infinite wisdom, will only let me access their mail servers if I am connected to my home cable connection. (I can see why they do this though). So at the moment I am limited to webmail (and that really is evil ).


So.. what I want to do is to have a server at home. I should be able to connect to this server via ssh from anywhere (I already have dynamic DNS and the server, I just need to know what to install on it....). This server provides me with IMAP mailbox(es), and collects my POP3 mail from my ISP into those mailboxes. It also provides me with an SMTP relay server so I can send mail via my ssh connection to my ISP. I think the latter can be done somehow with sendmail.. but the former..??


Doing it this way avoids the complexities and expenses of registering my own email domain, which I really don't want to do.


Any hints or links gratefully appreciated.


Mark

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Glen Barber
 
Default Home Email Servers

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
[snip]
>
> Doing it this way avoids the complexities and expenses of registering my own email domain, which I really don't want to do.
>

Then how do you expect to receive mail? Not registering a domain for
an email server is a great way to get blacklisted.

--
Glen Barber

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Glen Barber
 
Default Home Email Servers

I may have misread initially. You could use the mutt mail client,
which supports POP3 and IMAP mail servers. It is a fully functional
mail client, used over CLI.

http://www.mutt.org/

--
Glen Barber

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
David Fletcher
 
Default Home Email Servers

I have an account with One And One that provides authenticated SMTP that I can
use from anywhere. I also run a small machine as a mail server which
downloads with fetchmail then puts everything through procmail to do some
filtering into evreybody's mail boxes. If I'm out somewhere and lucky enough
to be able to get a WiFi connection, I can collect mail from my server using
POP3 over SSL which runs on port 995. You need to configure your Internet
router to port forward 995 requests to your server to make this work.

What you could do is set up your server with Squirrelmail. Yes it's web mail
but it would be running on your own server, if that's any consolation. You
need to make sure you run it over SSL which is port 443 I think.

I would go for postfix rather than sendmail. Just my personal experience in
which I managed to get postfix to do what I need but never sendmail. I guess
you should be able to go in from outside to use your server as a relay, but
be very Very VERY careful about doing this. I mean that - be very careful.
Don't end up being an open relay otherwise every spammer in creation will be
using it too. You would have to set it up as authenticated SMTP like One and
One does. This I've never done, so you might be better off either using
Squirrelmail over SSL or paying a few pounds a year for a dedicated outside
email account like I use. Postfix can be configured to act like a client to
an authenticated SMTP server for your outgoing messages, or maybe you can
just is your ISP's box to make it easy.

Dave


BTW What hardware are you running your server on? I'm interested in making
these take as little power as possible whilst running a standard 3.5 inch
hard drive. Trouble is the less power you want to take the more expensive the
hardware gets, it seems to me.


--

Registered Linux user number 393408

I use and recommend the email service at 1 & 1
For domain registration, email and web hosting please visit:
http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default Home Email Servers

Mark Greenwood wrote:
> I sent this once but I sent it as HTML. Whoops. Anyway...

Sending it three times (HTML+plaintext, then plaintext again) is not
really helping the list's bandwidth.

> Not strictly Kubuntu related this one, but there seem to be plenty of
> clever people on here.

I don't really see this as off-topic.

Kind of follows on from the kmail discussion
> we were having. Because I have one of these new-fangled laptop things
> ( ) I want to be able to access my email when I'm on the move.
> However, my ISP, in their infinite wisdom, will only let me access
> their mail servers if I am connected to my home cable connection. (I
> can see why they do this though).

I could kinda see why they would block /sending/ mail (only kinda) from
external networks, but not at all why they would block receiving.

> So.. what I want to do is to have a server at home. I should be able
> to connect to this server via ssh from anywhere (I already have
> dynamic DNS and the server, I just need to know what to install on
> it....). This server provides me with IMAP mailbox(es), and collects
> my POP3 mail from my ISP into those mailboxes. It also provides me
> with an SMTP relay server so I can send mail via my ssh connection to
> my ISP. I think the latter can be done somehow with sendmail.. but
> the former..??

I think you can avoid installing anything on your home server and just
use SSH's built-in port forwarding. On your laptop, you would run
something like:

sudo ssh -L 996op.mail.isp.com:995 -L 26:smtp.mail.isp.com:25
username@homeserver

For gmail, for instance, that is:

sudo ssh -L 996op.gmail.com:995 -L 26:smtp.gmail.com:25
username@homeserver

The ports before the first colon are specified by you, and can be
whatever you want, as long as they're free. Note you don't have to run
it as root if you use local ports above 1024 (e.g. 1025 and 1026
instead of 996 and 26). The ones after the second are the normal SMTP
and POP ports specified by your ISP (these you may have to change from
my example). All you have to do is leave this ssh session running on
your laptop, then configure your mail program to use localhost 996 for
POP3 and localhost 26 for SMTP (keep the other settings the same).
This method is conceptually simple. Anything your laptop sends to or
receives from localhost 996 or 26 goes to pop.mail.isp.com 995 and
smtp.mail.isp.com 25 respectively, via your home server. It's
completely undetectable by your ISP (unless they're timing you, which is
obviously unlikely), and obviously secured between your laptop and server

Now, the advantage to running a actual server as suggested is that then
only one box is talking to your ISP with POP3, so you don't have to
worry about "Leave mail on server" and such (having multiple boxes talk
to a single IMAP account is smoother). But I doubt it's worth the
complexity.

Matt Flaschen

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default Home Email Servers

Mark Greenwood wrote:
> I sent this once but I sent it as HTML. Whoops. Anyway...

Sending it three times (HTML+plaintext, then plaintext again) is not
really helping the list's bandwidth.

> Not strictly Kubuntu related this one, but there seem to be plenty of
> clever people on here.

I don't really see this as off-topic.

Kind of follows on from the kmail discussion
> we were having. Because I have one of these new-fangled laptop things
> ( ) I want to be able to access my email when I'm on the move.
> However, my ISP, in their infinite wisdom, will only let me access
> their mail servers if I am connected to my home cable connection. (I
> can see why they do this though).

I could kinda see why they would block /sending/ mail (only kinda) from
external networks, but not at all why they would block receiving.

> So.. what I want to do is to have a server at home. I should be able
> to connect to this server via ssh from anywhere (I already have
> dynamic DNS and the server, I just need to know what to install on
> it....). This server provides me with IMAP mailbox(es), and collects
> my POP3 mail from my ISP into those mailboxes. It also provides me
> with an SMTP relay server so I can send mail via my ssh connection to
> my ISP. I think the latter can be done somehow with sendmail.. but
> the former..??

I think you can avoid installing anything on your home server and just
use SSH's built-in port forwarding. On your laptop, you would run
something like:

sudo ssh -L 996op.mail.isp.com:995 -L 26:smtp.mail.isp.com:25
username@homeserver

For gmail, for instance, that is:

sudo ssh -L 996op.gmail.com:995 -L 26:smtp.gmail.com:25
username@homeserver

The ports before the first colon are specified by you, and can be
whatever you want, as long as they're free. Note you don't have to run
it as root if you use local ports above 1024 (e.g. 1025 and 1026
instead of 996 and 26). The ones after the second are the normal SMTP
and POP ports specified by your ISP (these you may have to change from
my example). All you have to do is leave this ssh session running on
your laptop, then configure your mail program to use localhost 996 for
POP3 and localhost 26 for SMTP (keep the other settings the same).
This method is conceptually simple. Anything your laptop sends to or
receives from localhost 996 or 26 goes to pop.mail.isp.com 995 and
smtp.mail.isp.com 25 respectively, via your home server. It's
completely undetectable by your ISP (unless they're timing you, which is
obviously unlikely), and obviously secured between your laptop and server

Now, the advantage to running a actual server as suggested is that then
only one box is talking to your ISP with POP3, so you don't have to
worry about "Leave mail on server" and such (having multiple boxes talk
to a single IMAP account is smoother). But I doubt it's worth the
complexity.

Matt Flaschen


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default Home Email Servers

Glen Barber wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> Doing it this way avoids the complexities and expenses of registering my own email domain, which I really don't want to do.
>>
>
> Then how do you expect to receive mail? Not registering a domain for
> an email server is a great way to get blacklisted.

He already said, he has an ISP, and an associated address. Ultimately,
they will receive mail for him from the outside world.

P.S. Has anyone else noticed the list lagging heavily?

Matt Flaschen

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Norberto Bensa
 
Default Home Email Servers

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com> wrote:

[snip]

>

> Doing it this way avoids the complexities and expenses of registering my own email domain, which I really don't want to do.

>



Then how do you expect to receive mail? *Not registering a domain for

an email server is a great way to get blacklisted.
why? If I read him correctrly, he wants to fetch the email and store it locally. Then use ssh to tunnel an imap connection to his private server. For smtp he could relay thru his isp. That's what I do.


I even have multiple transports in postfix and one of them goes thru google.com.

Regards,
Norberto


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 12:33 AM
David McGlone
 
Default Home Email Servers

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 6:50:01 pm David Fletcher wrote:
> I have an account with One And One that provides authenticated SMTP that I
> can use from anywhere. I also run a small machine as a mail server which
> downloads with fetchmail then puts everything through procmail to do some
> filtering into evreybody's mail boxes. If I'm out somewhere and lucky
> enough to be able to get a WiFi connection, I can collect mail from my
> server using POP3 over SSL which runs on port 995. You need to configure
> your Internet router to port forward 995 requests to your server to make
> this work.
>
> What you could do is set up your server with Squirrelmail. Yes it's web
> mail but it would be running on your own server, if that's any consolation.
> You need to make sure you run it over SSL which is port 443 I think.
>
> I would go for postfix rather than sendmail. Just my personal experience in
> which I managed to get postfix to do what I need but never sendmail. I
> guess you should be able to go in from outside to use your server as a
> relay, but be very Very VERY careful about doing this. I mean that - be
> very careful. Don't end up being an open relay otherwise every spammer in
> creation will be using it too. You would have to set it up as authenticated
> SMTP like One and One does. This I've never done, so you might be better
> off either using Squirrelmail over SSL or paying a few pounds a year for a
> dedicated outside email account like I use. Postfix can be configured to
> act like a client to an authenticated SMTP server for your outgoing
> messages, or maybe you can just is your ISP's box to make it easy.
>
> Dave
>
>
> BTW What hardware are you running your server on? I'm interested in making
> these take as little power as possible whilst running a standard 3.5 inch
> hard drive. Trouble is the less power you want to take the more expensive
> the hardware gets, it seems to me.

I second this. I am using postfix with procmail filtering into the correct
mailboxes
Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Home Email Servers

Glen Barber wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Doing it this way avoids the complexities and expenses of registering my
>> own email domain, which I really don't want to do.
>>
>
> Then how do you expect to receive mail? Not registering a domain for
> an email server is a great way to get blacklisted.

Not as long as your SMTP server is just a smarthost - ie, it relays to your
ISP's SMTP server.

Registering a domain for a server and not getting your DNS records straight
is an even easier way to get blacklisted :-)
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org