Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Hans Henry von Tresckow

Default Home Email Servers

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:

BTW What hardware are you running your server on? I'm interested in making

these take as little power as possible whilst running a standard 3.5 inch

hard drive. Trouble is the less power you want to take the more expensive the

hardware gets, it seems to me.
I don't use mine as a mail server (yet) but I recently got a Linksys NSLU/2 for ~$50 off of ebay. Check out http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ for more ideas on how to use these lovely little boxes. I use mine as a samba server, an rsnapshot based backup system and a local dns server.

--
Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)
Bob Hope *- "Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle."

Old 03-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Mark Greenwood

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 22:50:01 David Fletcher wrote:

> BTW What hardware are you running your server on? I'm interested in making
> these take as little power as possible whilst running a standard 3.5 inch
> hard drive. Trouble is the less power you want to take the more expensive the
> hardware gets, it seems to me.

Wow, thanks all. A lot of information to process there. Will get around to it soon.

My theory about using SSH was simply to prevent my box being used as an SMTP spam relay. I'd also like to understand ssh a bit more so it was a bit of a project too

I'm running this on a Asus eee box. very cheap. very low power (about 8W or less when it's idling). Now, it has an internal laptop hard drive, but I have a 1TB USB drive connected, which for what I use it for (mythtv*) is more than adequate. Seeing as it's on all the time and usually not doing much I figured it'd be good to use it as an email server too.

Thanks all,

(Oh, and yes, I've noticed the list is lagging. That's why I sent this twice, I thought the initial HTML one had been binned for being HTML.. Sorry about that).

* Yes, it realy does run mythtv, full screen DVB/DivX playback on my flatscreen TV via the VGA-out. I was amazed myself...

Mark

Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
David Fletcher

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 12:07:39 Mark Greenwood wrote:

> I'm running this on a Asus eee box. very cheap. very low power (about 8W or
> less when it's idling). Now, it has an internal laptop hard drive, but I
> have a 1TB USB drive connected, which for what I use it for (mythtv*) is
> more than adequate. Seeing as it's on all the time and usually not doing
> much I figured it'd be good to use it as an email server too.
>

> Mark

I wondered if it might be something like that. Problem with these is, I've
heard that laptop drives don't work well in servers that run 24/7. Apparently
they wear out pretty quickly when used like this.

Is this still the case, anybody who knows?

Dave

Old 03-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Derek Broughton

Mark Greenwood wrote:

> I'm running this on a Asus eee box. very cheap. very low power (about 8W
> or less when it's idling).

Cool. I'm always interested in low-power devices, since I live off-grid.

> Now, it has an internal laptop hard drive, but
> I have a 1TB USB drive connected,

what does _that_ draw?

> * Yes, it realy does run mythtv, full screen DVB/DivX playback on my
> flatscreen TV via the VGA-out. I was amazed myself...

More cool!
--
derek

Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 PM
John L Fjellstad

Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com> writes:

> So.. what I want to do is to have a server at home. I should be able
> to connect to this server via ssh from anywhere (I already have
> dynamic DNS and the server, I just need to know what to install on
> it....). This server provides me with IMAP mailbox(es), and collects
> my POP3 mail from my ISP into those mailboxes. It also provides me
> with an SMTP relay server so I can send mail via my ssh connection to
> my ISP. I think the latter can be done somehow with sendmail.. but the
> former..??

It's similar to the setup I had until I put up an external mailserver.

For mailserver, install postfix or exim. Set up for smart smtp or
whatever they call it.
For retrieving your mail from your ISP, use fetchmail.
For IMAP, I use courierimap.

Use ssh certificates, and only allow certificate based login.

Actually, for laptop, I actually sync my mailserver with my local mail,
so that I still have access to my mail even if there is no network
connection. I use offlineimap to sync local/remote imap.

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 13:43:19 David Fletcher wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 March 2009 12:07:39 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> >
> > I'm running this on a Asus eee box. very cheap. very low power (about 8W or
> > less when it's idling). Now, it has an internal laptop hard drive, but I
> > have a 1TB USB drive connected, which for what I use it for (mythtv*) is
> > more than adequate. Seeing as it's on all the time and usually not doing
> > much I figured it'd be good to use it as an email server too.
> >

> > Mark
>
> I wondered if it might be something like that. Problem with these is, I've
> heard that laptop drives don't work well in servers that run 24/7. Apparently
> they wear out pretty quickly when used like this.
>
> Is this still the case, anybody who knows?

I think you're right. I have enabled laptop-mode so it spins the drive down when it's not being used. Also produces less noise, which is good when it's in the living room

Mark

Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 15:15:24 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mark Greenwood wrote:
>
> > I'm running this on a Asus eee box. very cheap. very low power (about 8W
> > or less when it's idling).
>
> Cool. I'm always interested in low-power devices, since I live off-grid.

I should mention that's 8W with the wireless disabled. It pulls a little more when wireless is on.

> > Now, it has an internal laptop hard drive, but
> > I have a 1TB USB drive connected,
>
> what does _that_ draw?

Good question! The power supply for it is rated at 18W. Again I use laptop_mode to spin it down when it's not in use so it doesn't draw that continually. Seems to be fine so far. Standard hard drives don't like to be spun up and down a lot, but with the usage patterns of this box it probably doesn't spin up more than once per day on average. (I do all the TV recording to the 160GB internal drive and only archive stuff out to the USB drive if I want to store it for a long time).

Mark

Old 03-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Derek Broughton

Mark Greenwood wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 March 2009 15:15:24 Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Mark Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> > I'm running this on a Asus eee box. very cheap. very low power (about
>> > 8W or less when it's idling).
>>
>> Cool. I'm always interested in low-power devices, since I live off-grid.
>
> I should mention that's 8W with the wireless disabled. It pulls a little
> more when wireless is on.

Sure - but that's really quite good.

>> > Now, it has an internal laptop hard drive, but
>> > I have a 1TB USB drive connected,
>>
>> what does _that_ draw?
>
> Good question! The power supply for it is rated at 18W. Again I use
> laptop_mode to spin it down when it's not in use so it doesn't draw that
> continually.

And, in fact should be drawing well under the rating. I'm not sure what the
requirement is, but I don't think you would get your Underwriter's Lab
certification using a power supply that provided only 100% of actual
requirement.

--
derek

Old 03-12-2009, 03:37 PM
David Fletcher

On Thursday 12 March 2009 15:18:31 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mark Greenwood wrote:
> >>
> >> Cool. I'm always interested in low-power devices, since I live
> >> off-grid.
> >
> > I should mention that's 8W with the wireless disabled. It pulls a little
> > more when wireless is on.
>
> Sure - but that's really quite good.

I'm just wondering while we're on the subject of low power hardware, has
anybody here had an opportunity to play with one of these?

http://emea.kontron.com/products/boards+and+mezzanines/embedded+motherboards/miniitx+motherboards/ktus15mitx++11+basic.html

What I really like about this one is that it does away with the ATX power
supply. I reckon in my unit at home, the power supply is wasting nearly as
much power as the motherboard is using.

Dave