Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Norberto Bensa

Default Home Email Server?

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

>>> /me stares at port 995. ???
>>>

> Heh...I never configure pop3 let alone pop3s.

Neither I do.

I know my ISP blocks everything: 80,443,587,etc... in fact, all common
service ports, except for 22.

They suck, but it's the only thing available at a reasonable price.
The day they block 22, I'll move to another town :-D

Regards,
Norberto

Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Alan Dacey

Norberto Bensa wrote:

>> Heh...I never configure pop3 let alone pop3s.
>
> Neither I do.
>
> I know my ISP blocks everything: 80,443,587,etc... in fact, all common
> service ports, except for 22.
>
> They suck, but it's the only thing available at a reasonable price.
> The day they block 22, I'll move to another town :-D
>

> Regards,
> Norberto

I believe that you can re-map the ports on your machine so that the 'standard'
ones can be changed. For example you can remap port 443 to 56189. You could
then ssh to port 56189 and the software inside your machine would never know the
difference. Unless your ISP blocks everything, you are good to go. I have not
done this, yet, but I have read about it doing research to set up my own home
ubuntu server.

--
Alan

"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated
concept. If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in
life and actually grok it."

Old 03-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Glen Barber

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Alan Dacey <GrokIt@ajinfosearch.com> wrote:
> I believe that you can re-map the ports on your machine so that the 'standard'
> ones can be changed. *For example you can remap port 443 to 56189. *You could
> then ssh to port 56189 and the software inside your machine would never know the
> difference.

That is correct. In fact, I do this out of habit (to avoid ssh botnet
attacks). Make sure you try to connect on the proper port, however.

--
Glen Barber

Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Cary Bielenberg

Alan Dacey wrote:

Norberto Bensa wrote:

[...]

I have my home domains setup with virtualmin http://www.virtualmin.com/
It is a web/gui interface to setting up websites, ftp & email on
multiple domains on 1 server! I would use this even for 1 instance of a
email server as it has so many configurable options that are built into
Ubuntu but are obscure. It downloads the dependencies to make these*
all function.* Virtualmin itself does not do anything but pull together
apps in the repo & give you a web front end to access these.

Cary

Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 AM
David McGlone

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 8:40:41 pm Norberto Bensa wrote:

> > Heh...I never configure pop3 let alone pop3s.
>
> Neither I do.
>
> I know my ISP blocks everything: 80,443,587,etc... in fact, all common
> service ports, except for 22.
>
> They suck, but it's the only thing available at a reasonable price.
> The day they block 22, I'll move to another town :-D

catch-22 ;-)

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Norberto Bensa

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Alan Dacey <GrokIt@ajinfosearch.com> wrote:

> I believe that you can re-map the ports on your machine so that the 'standard'

Of course! But for some services is just not so easy.

I run postfix on 25 and 25052. 25 is blocked by my ISP, but 25052 is
not. So I've setup a server at work that resends emails to me using
port 25052. Works nicely.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:39 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 11:33 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > Ack! Sendmail is evil...
> >
> rulesets rule!
>
> /me pretending to be a sendmail bigot

I took a sendmail class for 4 days at Redhat, about 7 years ago.

Guess how much I remember?

Answer: Very little. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 03-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Christopher Chan

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 11:33 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>>> Ack! Sendmail is evil...
>>>

>> rulesets rule!
>>
>> /me pretending to be a sendmail bigot
>>

> I took a sendmail class for 4 days at Redhat, about 7 years ago.
>
> Guess how much I remember?
>
> Answer: Very little. Ric

Ha!

I actually supported a farm of sendmails for about a year until I
replaced them with postfix when I worked at an email service provider.

I even have a cdb patch for sendmail based on an existing inhouse mysql
patch that I have updated for 8.14.x on sourceforge.

Now I too remember squat.

I did not know Redhat had sendmail classes. I also don't remember seeing
anything like sendmail needed for RHCA...them classes are just for your
own benefit?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Paul

Mark Greenwood wrote:

Not
strictly Kubuntu related this one, but there seem to be plenty of
clever people on here. Kind of follows on from the kmail discussion we
were having.
<snip>

So.. what I want to do is to have a server at home. I
should be able to connect to this server via ssh from anywhere (I
already have dynamic DNS and the server, I just need to know what to
install on it....). This server provides me with IMAP mailbox(es), and
collects my POP3 mail from my ISP into those mailboxes. It also
provides me with an SMTP relay server so I can send mail via my ssh
connection to my ISP. I think the latter can be done somehow with
sendmail.. but the former..??

Doing it this way avoids the complexities and expenses of registering
my own email domain, which I really don't want to do.

Any hints or links gratefully appreciated.

Mark
I've very recently done exactly that.* I've collected all the links and
tips I used on a page here >
http://www.paulhurley.co.uk/geek-stuff-leftmenu-101/linux-leftmenu-108/63-home-mail-server.html

I used Fetchmail > Postfix > SpamAssassin > Dovecot.

Hope it helps.

Paul.

--

http://www.paulhurley.co.uk/

Old 03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Wednesday 11 March 2009, Alan Dacey wrote:
> I believe that you can re-map the ports on your machine so that the
> 'standard' ones can be changed. For example you can remap port 443 to
> 56189. You could then ssh to port 56189 and the software inside your
> machine would never know the difference. Unless your ISP blocks
> everything, you are good to go. I have not done this, yet, but I have read
> about it doing research to set up my own home ubuntu server.

I routinely (as in always) tell ssh to use a port above 10000. Saves a lot of
usage by the script kiddies who want to beat on port 22.