Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Derek Broughton

Default strange plasma and behavior in KDE 4.2

D. R. Evans wrote:

> I filed a bug report about the size of the clock, and was told that it's
> infinitely resizeable (see <49ADAAF2.2080709@gmail.com> posted on this
> reflector;

??? Do you really think that's going to be a usable link for most of us?
This is primarily an _email_ list, which means it would be up to your email
program to recognize that as a message id - and up to you to have saved the
message - before there'd be any chance of it working as a link, but I don't
know any email programs that would treat it as such (they usually think
it's a mailto: url).
--
derek

Old 03-10-2009, 07:13 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Derek Broughton said the following at 03/10/2009 12:34 PM :
> D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> I filed a bug report about the size of the clock, and was told that it's
>> infinitely resizeable (see <49ADAAF2.2080709@gmail.com> posted on this
>> reflector;
>
> ??? Do you really think that's going to be a usable link for most of us?

No. Principally because it's not a link :-)

I did expect it to be a usable unambiguous reference to an e-mail, though.
It's how we refer to e-mails on reflectors within IETF working groups (and
have done for as many years as I care to recall).

I plead ignorance as to how other reflectors do it, so... how does one
generate an unambiguous reference to an e-mail here?

> This is primarily an _email_ list, which means it would be up to your email
> program to recognize that as a message id - and up to you to have saved the
> message - before there'd be any chance of it working as a link, but I don't

It's not a link, so I wouldn't expect it to "work as a link". Actually,
it's not obvious to me what the word "link" means in the context of a plain
text message.

Anyway, let's not argue. I assumed that all reflectors worked the same way
as the technical ones that I am used to. Since this one apparently doesn't,
please just tell me what the right mechanism is to use here for referring
to a prior message posted on the reflector.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Clay Weber

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 4:13:21 pm D. R. Evans wrote:

> > D. R. Evans wrote:

> please just tell me what the right mechanism is to use here for referring
> to a prior message posted on the reflector.

Simply quote the message, or relevant part of it as needed

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Derek Broughton

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Derek Broughton said the following at 03/10/2009 12:34 PM :
>> D. R. Evans wrote:
>>
>>> I filed a bug report about the size of the clock, and was told that it's
>>> infinitely resizeable (see <49ADAAF2.2080709@gmail.com> posted on this
>>> reflector;
>>
>> ??? Do you really think that's going to be a usable link for most of us?
>
> No. Principally because it's not a link :-)
>
> I did expect it to be a usable unambiguous reference to an e-mail, though.
> It's how we refer to e-mails on reflectors within IETF working groups (and
> have done for as many years as I care to recall).
>
> I plead ignorance as to how other reflectors do it, so... how does one
> generate an unambiguous reference to an e-mail here?

I google it, and post google's (or marcmail, gmane, etc) link.

> It's not a link, so I wouldn't expect it to "work as a link". Actually,
> it's not obvious to me what the word "link" means in the context of a
> plain text message.

Well I doubt it's obvious to the typical user of this list what
a "reflector" is let alone what a message-Id could be used for.
--
derek

Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Glenn R Williams said the following at 03/10/2009 12:08 PM :

> Doc,
>
> They must mean "freely resizable" if it's a widget added to your desktop. On
> the panel is another story, since the panel sizes things to fit.

No.

If you read the contents of the bug report, you'll see that it was explicit
(twice) in the question that the referent was the panel, and the response
that said that the plasmoid was freely resizable included language that
makes no sense if one tries to interpret it as referring it to the desktop.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR