Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Glen Barber

Default Not Kubuntu Specific: NachOS on Ubuntu?

Hello, list.

I know this isn't KDE/Kubuntu specific, but perhaps I'll get lucky
asking here.

I'm trying to get NachOS to compile on Kubuntu 8.04, and am having a
terrible time with it. The errors I receive indicate to me that far
too much has changed in gcc since NachOS was last updated (1995, from
what I can tell).

Short of building an older version of gcc, anyone have any luck with
NachOS on (K)Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance.

--
Glen Barber

Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Glen Barber wrote:
> Hello, list.
>
> I know this isn't KDE/Kubuntu specific, but perhaps I'll get lucky
> asking here.
>
> I'm trying to get NachOS to compile on Kubuntu 8.04, and am having a
> terrible time with it. The errors I receive indicate to me that far
> too much has changed in gcc since NachOS was last updated (1995, from
> what I can tell).
>
> Short of building an older version of gcc, anyone have any luck with
> NachOS on (K)Ubuntu?

Are you referring to http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tom/nachos/ ?
I've never heard of this before, but it's not clear from that site that
there has /ever/ been an actual release for GNU/Linux, only patches.

And the linux.patch
(http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tom/nachos/linux.patch) is not a
diff patch but verbal instructions...

I was able to make some progress, but I got stuck on the assembly.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Glen Barber

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu>
> Are you referring to http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tom/nachos/ ?

Yep.

> I've never heard of this before, but it's not clear from that site that
> there has /ever/ been an actual release for GNU/Linux, only patches.
>
> And the linux.patch
> (http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tom/nachos/linux.patch) is not a
> diff patch but verbal instructions...
>
> I was able to make some progress, but I got stuck on the assembly.

Interesting. Do you remember where specifically it crashed? I don't
remember seeing that linux.patch (I'll check it out when I get home).

Thanks for your feedback, Matt.

--
Glen Barber

Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Glen Barber wrote:
>> I was able to make some progress, but I got stuck on the assembly.
>
> Interesting. Do you remember where specifically it crashed? I don't
> remember seeing that linux.patch (I'll check it out when I get home).

Basically it can't find a (well, at least one) function that is supposed
(as best as I can tell with my quite limited assembly knowledge) to be
defined in threads/switch.s.

Thus, you get errors like:

nachos-3.4/code/threads/../threads/thread.cc:273: undefined reference to
`ThreadRoot'

> Thanks for your feedback, Matt.

You're welcome. It seems like a very interesting program. Can I ask
what made you try to run it?

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Glen Barber

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:
> Glen Barber wrote:
>>> I was able to make some progress, but I got stuck on the assembly.
>>
>> Interesting. *Do you remember where specifically it crashed? *I don't
>> remember seeing that linux.patch (I'll check it out when I get home).
>
> Basically it can't find a (well, at least one) function that is supposed
> (as best as I can tell with my quite limited assembly knowledge) to be
> defined in threads/switch.s.
>
> Thus, you get errors like:
>
> nachos-3.4/code/threads/../threads/thread.cc:273: undefined reference to
> `ThreadRoot'

Meh, the same (similar) errors I get. Looks like a lost cause.

>> Thanks for your feedback, Matt.
>
> You're welcome. *It seems like a very interesting program. *Can I ask
> what made you try to run it?

I hear it is a good learning tool for OS development. Single-stepping
through kernels at boot takes too long to be productive. Basically,
just "something to do(tm)."

Thanks!

--
Glen Barber