-   -   Cloning application for Microsoft Windows (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/259955-cloning-application-microsoft-windows.html)

Alvin 03-09-2009 07:25 PM

On Monday 09 March 2009 21:00:18 Ray Burke wrote:
> Does Anyone know
> (I run dual boot xp pro sp3 and Kubuntu )
>
> of a better clone app within win xp pro that will
> clone over
>
> my original k to a bkup both 40gb,(as I cant when within K) when I use
> paragon drive copy with recognizes
>
> both my slave 40g(K) and usb drive (bkup K) 40gb, which I just ran a
> clone 20 mins ago
>
> and took 4.20hrs to do with the xp pro system running, I know under
> Ghost is dosent work????

Your're making this too hard for yourself. Do you really expect an answer to:
- HTML mail
- without a subject
- about a Microsoft Windows application in several Kubuntu mailing lists?

To be a little constructive:
Maybe dd or dumpe2fs works on Windows? (dd is slow, so you'll probably don't
want that)

Ray Burke 03-09-2009 07:36 PM

Cloning application for Microsoft Windows

Alvin

ok I know I am oushing it, and forgot to put heading!!!!!
but what is dumpe2fs and how it works??????

ray

Mike Shaw 03-09-2009 07:56 PM

Cloning application for Microsoft Windows

Not sure if you have looked at g4l or g4u both do whole drives or
just partitions. So does systemimager I believe.

Good luck!

Mike

Ray Burke 03-09-2009 08:11 PM

Cloning application for Microsoft Windows

Mike,

Can you explain more as I am a newbie at Kubuntu,
but only way to save backup of K drive I believe is thru win xp
as I dual boot, please explain how to use

ray

Mike Shaw 03-09-2009 08:20 PM

Cloning application for Microsoft Windows

Try looking at these pages:

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76940
http://www.backupcentral.com/components/com_mambowiki/index.php/Automate_Linux_&_Windows_Bare-Metal_Recovery_with_G4L
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
http://www.digitalpeer.com/id/guhard

Ray Burke 03-10-2009 03:44 AM

Cloning application for Microsoft Windows

shaw,

*

look and un able to comphrehend what it all means???????

*

ray
*

Derek Broughton 03-10-2009 11:48 AM

Ray Burke wrote:

> look and un able to comphrehend what it all means???????

And your responses aren't helping our comprehension of your problem...

Please, this is not a chat group or SMS with your friends. Don't try to be
terse, instead tell us _exactly_ what you want to do (perhaps the correct
answer is simply to not do it - we don't know what your purpose is). Don't
use meaningless abbreviations (what's a "k"?), write meaningful sentences
(it seems that half of the difficulty is caused by the HTML mail, but
that's a whole other issue - please, don't do that either), and don't
top-post.
--
derek

Mike Shaw 03-10-2009 01:33 PM

Cloning application for Microsoft Windows

When you asked about cloning I assumed you meant disk or partition "cloning":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

versus a backup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup

What do you want to do?

Ray Burke 03-10-2009 06:17 PM

Cloning application for Microsoft Windows

Shaw,

I want to be able to clone my 40gb Kubuntu drive with 3 partitions, to a backup
40gb with exactly the same partitions

ray

Ray Burke 03-10-2009 06:32 PM

Cloning application for Microsoft Windows

Derek,

Iam sorry but hotmail automatically set it as top verse?????

and I maen to say that what you said previously about those commands I
dont fully understand, as I am a newbie?????
ray
ps I will try and bottom post?????

> To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> From: derek@pointerstop.ca
> Subject: RE: [OT] Cloning application for Microsoft Windows
> Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:48:17 -0300
>
> Ray Burke wrote:
>
> > look and un able to comphrehend what it all means???????
> >

> And your responses aren't helping our comprehension of your problem...
>
> Please, this is not a chat group or SMS with your friends. Don't try to be
> terse, instead tell us _exactly_ what you want to do (perhaps the correct
> answer is simply to not do it - we don't know what your purpose is). Don't
> use meaningless abbreviations (what's a "k"?), write meaningful sentences
> (it seems that half of the difficulty is caused by the HTML mail, but
> that's a whole other issue - please, don't do that either), and don't
> top-post.
> --
> derek

Derek,

Iam sorry but hotmail automatically set it as top verse?????

and I maen to say that what you said previously about those commands I

dont fully understand, as I am a newbie?????

ray

Explore the new Windows Live. Looking for a place to manage all your online stuff?