-   -   boot sequence broken (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/259753-boot-sequence-broken.html)

Jonas Norlander 03-09-2009 01:54 PM

boot sequence broken

2009/3/9 nepal <nepal.roade@googlemail.com>:
> I am using kubuntu 8.10 with kde 4.2 (latest upgrade) on a new box.
>
> Since removing several gnome applications (one of which was gdm) the
> startup/boot sequence will no longer take me to a graphical login screen
> and load kde. It seems to fail on kinit. The message (copied by hand) is
> roughly

> kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid.[big number here] = cev(8,6)
> kinit: trying to resume from uuid.......
> kinit: no resume image, doing normal boot...
> ubuntu 8.10 pine-kub tty1
> pine-kub login
>
> not starting K Display Manager (kdm-kde4): it is not the default d.m.
>
> --------------end----------------
>
> I have chosen kdm for my display manager and *is* the default AFAICT.

Where have your chosen that and how do you know it's default?

> the uuid is accurate AFAICT. i.e. it exists at /dev/disk/by-uuid
>
> and the following appears in my fstab;
>
> # /dev/sda6
> UUID=24c79330-bf9a-48d1-a5fd-94753e6d8ed0 none * * * * * *swap
> sw * * * * * * *0 * * * 0
>
> so the resume message above refers to trying to use my swap drive?

Yes if you had hibernated your computer the resume file would be
stored on your swap partition. Thats a normal message just ignore it.

> Have tried reinstalling kdm without change in above behaviour.

When you delete a package with "apt-get remove kdm" you are not
deleting the config files and config files is not overwritten when
installing a package. To delete config files use purge like "apt-get
purge kdm".

> can anyone help me correct this back to normal (single) login procedure
> please?
>
> nepal.

Do you have "/usr/bin/kdm" in your /etc/X11/default-display-manage
file? If not change that. If that dont work try to purge the kdm
package and install it. From a console run "sudo apt-get purge kdm &&
sudo apt-get install kdm" then run "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart"

/ Jonas

nepal 03-09-2009 04:02 PM

boot sequence broken

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:54:20 +0100
Hi Jonas,

thanks for the suggestions.

> Do you have "/usr/bin/kdm" in your /etc/X11/default-display-manage
> file?

yes that line is the only line in that file.

> If not change that. If that dont work try to purge the kdm
> package and install it.

It did not solve the logging in problem.

> From a console run "sudo apt-get purge kdm &&
> sudo apt-get install kdm" then run "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart"
>
> / Jonas

I tried that but the original problem remains.

nepal.

Jonas Norlander 03-09-2009 07:55 PM

boot sequence broken

2009/3/9 nepal <nepal.roade@googlemail.com>:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:54:20 +0100
> Hi Jonas,
>
> thanks for the suggestions.
>
>> Do you have "/usr/bin/kdm" in your /etc/X11/default-display-manage
>> file?
>
> yes that line is the only line in that file.
>
>> If not change that. If that dont work try to purge the kdm
>> package and install it.
>
> It did not solve the logging in problem.
>
>> From a console run "sudo apt-get purge kdm &&
>> sudo apt-get install kdm" then run "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart"
>>
>> / Jonas
>
> I tried that but the original problem remains.
>
> nepal.

Have you checked for errors in the log files /var/log/Xorg.?.log

/ Jonas

Mon Mar 9 23:30:01 2009