Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 PM
nepal

Default boot sequence broken

I am using kubuntu 8.10 with kde 4.2 (latest upgrade) on a new box.

Since removing several gnome applications (one of which was gdm) the
startup/boot sequence will no longer take me to a graphical login screen
and load kde. It seems to fail on kinit. The message (copied by hand) is
roughly

kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid.[big number here] = cev(8,6)
kinit: trying to resume from uuid.......
kinit: no resume image, doing normal boot...
ubuntu 8.10 pine-kub tty1
pine-kub login

not starting K Display Manager (kdm-kde4): it is not the default d.m.

--------------end----------------

I have chosen kdm for my display manager and *is* the default AFAICT.

the uuid is accurate AFAICT. i.e. it exists at /dev/disk/by-uuid

and the following appears in my fstab;

# /dev/sda6
UUID=24c79330-bf9a-48d1-a5fd-94753e6d8ed0 none swap
sw 0 0

so the resume message above refers to trying to use my swap drive?

Have tried reinstalling kdm without change in above behaviour.

In order to get kde up and running I first log in as normal user.

then sudo kdm and this loads the graphical login screen for kdm IIANM -
that is 3 logins. Then I can get to my desktop.

can anyone help me correct this back to normal (single) login procedure
please?

nepal.