FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 AM
David McGlone
 
Default Akonadi?

I'm trying to figure out what exactly Akonadi is.

I'm thinking the app will enable me to share my contacts, mail, calendar etc
throughout my home network. Am I correct?

I have googled the subject, and haven't really found any straight forward
answers. I also thought it would be a good subject to discuss. If I am
correct, it may be something I would like using since I don't care much for
postfix.

David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Akonadi?

On Sunday 08 March 2009, David McGlone wrote:
> I have googled the subject, and haven't really found any straight forward
> answers. I also thought it would be a good subject to discuss. If I am
> correct, it may be something I would like using since I don't care much for
> postfix.

I've been thinking about this too because akonadi seems to take up a large
amount of space... and I didn't know what it was for.

I just tried to remove it, and removing it will also cause kmail to be
removed. Nope, can't do that..... bummer


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
"D. R. Evans"
 
Default Akonadi?

Bruce Marshall said the following at 03/08/2009 07:40 PM :

>
> I've been thinking about this too because akonadi seems to take up a large
> amount of space... and I didn't know what it was for.


akonadi and neopomuk both seem to be things that seem like they *ought* to
be useful for... something.

I can't figure out whether:

1. they are both so experimental that they shouldn't be used (in which
case, why are they included?)
2. the developers think they are so easy to use that they don't need any
documentation (in which case, they are wrong)
3. The developers just haven't got around to documenting anything (in which
case, presumably they also don't think they're very important)
4. something I haven't thought of

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Akonadi?

On Monday 09 March 2009 15:44:43 D. R. Evans wrote:

> Bruce Marshall said the following at 03/08/2009 07:40 PM :

>

> >

> > I've been thinking about this too because akonadi seems to take up a large

> > amount of space... and I didn't know what it was for.

>

>

> akonadi and neopomuk both seem to be things that seem like they *ought* to

> be useful for... something.

>

> I can't figure out whether:

>

> 1. they are both so experimental that they shouldn't be used (in which

> case, why are they included?)

> 2. the developers think they are so easy to use that they don't need any

> documentation (in which case, they are wrong)

> 3. The developers just haven't got around to documenting anything (in which

> case, presumably they also don't think they're very important)

> 4. something I haven't thought of

>

> Doc

>



Akonadi is a special tool which is designed to eat up RAM without doing anything useful.



nepomuk is a special application which is designed to crash the moment you log in.



Truly, I have no idea what they are for. Kubuntu is the only distro I've tried that has them enabled. Most others switch them off by default and several don't even install akonadi.



I think, like so much else in KDE4, they're just not finished yet but might be useful when they are.



Mark
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Nigel Ridley
 
Default Akonadi?

Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Monday 09 March 2009 15:44:43 D. R. Evans wrote:
>> Bruce Marshall said the following at 03/08/2009 07:40 PM :
>>
>>> I've been thinking about this too because akonadi seems to take up a large
>>> amount of space... and I didn't know what it was for.
>>
>> akonadi and neopomuk both seem to be things that seem like they *ought* to
>> be useful for... something.
>>
>> I can't figure out whether:
>>
>> 1. they are both so experimental that they shouldn't be used (in which
>> case, why are they included?)
>> 2. the developers think they are so easy to use that they don't need any
>> documentation (in which case, they are wrong)
>> 3. The developers just haven't got around to documenting anything (in which
>> case, presumably they also don't think they're very important)
>> 4. something I haven't thought of
>>
>> Doc
>>
>
> Akonadi is a special tool which is designed to eat up RAM without doing anything useful.
>
> nepomuk is a special application which is designed to crash the moment you log in.
>
> Truly, I have no idea what they are for. Kubuntu is the only distro I've tried that has them enabled. Most others switch them off by default and several don't even install akonadi.
>
> I think, like so much else in KDE4, they're just not finished yet but might be useful when they are.
>
> Mark
>
>

Guys, you haven't downloaded my unique 'Useful Start Page' - have You? ;-) (See a previous thread
"Useful Start Page revisited").
OK, here are a few useful links that I came up with very quickly using above mentioned 'Useful
Start Page':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_%28framework%29
http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/
http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/

All the answers (but not all the solutions -yet).

Blessings,

Nigel


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 04:07 PM
"D. R. Evans"
 
Default Akonadi?

Nigel Ridley said the following at 03/09/2009 10:55 AM :


> OK, here are a few useful links that I came up with very quickly using above mentioned 'Useful
> Start Page':
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_%28framework%29
> http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/
> http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
>
> All the answers (but not all the solutions -yet).

I disagree, I'm afraid. I have looked at all these pages in the past, and
have just done so again.

None of them gave me any clue as to how to use either of these tools to
accomplish something useful.

It is, however, perfectly likely that I'm just not seeing something obvious.

So let me ask you: how exactly does one use these tools?

Doc


--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 PM
"Peter Hummers"
 
Default Akonadi?

> From: "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com>
> Sent: Mon, March 9, 2009 13:07
> Subject:Re: Akonadi?
>
>> Nigel Ridley said the following at 03/09/2009 10:55 AM :
>>
>> OK, here are a few useful links that I came up with very quickly using
above
mentioned 'Useful
>> Start Page':
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_%28framework%29
>> http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/
>> http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
>>
>> All the answers (but not all the solutions -yet).
>
> I disagree, I'm afraid. I have looked at all these pages in the past, and
> have just done so again.
>
> None of them gave me any clue as to how to use either of these tools to
> accomplish something useful.
>
> It is, however, perfectly likely that I'm just not seeing something
obvious.
>
> So let me ask you: how exactly does one use these tools?
>
> Doc

Uh-oh: Semantic jargon! No wonder it makes little sense.

<http://www.todroberts.com/USF/dilbert_jargon_files/image001.jpg>

~Pete HUMMERS

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Ignazio Palmisano
 
Default Akonadi?

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Nigel Ridley said the following at 03/09/2009 10:55 AM :
>
>
>> OK, here are a few useful links that I came up with very quickly using above mentioned 'Useful
>> Start Page':
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_%28framework%29
>> http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/
>> http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
>>
>> All the answers (but not all the solutions -yet).
>
> I disagree, I'm afraid. I have looked at all these pages in the past, and
> have just done so again.
>
> None of them gave me any clue as to how to use either of these tools to
> accomplish something useful.
>
> It is, however, perfectly likely that I'm just not seeing something obvious.
>
> So let me ask you: how exactly does one use these tools?
>
> Doc

If I get the explanations for Akonadi correctly, you don't use it, it's
KMail (and possibly other stuff) using it for storage. Sort of the same
concept behind kioslaves.
I.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Nigel Ridley
 
Default Akonadi?

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Nigel Ridley said the following at 03/09/2009 10:55 AM :
>
>
>> OK, here are a few useful links that I came up with very quickly using above mentioned 'Useful
>> Start Page':
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_%28framework%29
>> http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/
>> http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
>>
>> All the answers (but not all the solutions -yet).
>
> I disagree, I'm afraid. I have looked at all these pages in the past, and
> have just done so again.
>
> None of them gave me any clue as to how to use either of these tools to
> accomplish something useful.
>
> It is, however, perfectly likely that I'm just not seeing something obvious.
>
> So let me ask you: how exactly does one use these tools?
>
> Doc
>
>
>

I think it's a bit like Mark Greenwood said - that they're still experimental. Which does lead to
the question as to why they are enabled by default.

I did find the following [http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#When_should_I_use_Akonadi.3F]:

When should I use Akonadi?

More precisely, when should you use for your application specific data instead of eg. just using
a local file directly.

Akonadi is especially useful when you need one the following:

* Different backends for your data, like eg. a local file and a remote server. Akonadi
provides a unified interface for application developers to access your data independent of the
actual backend.
* Caching and change replay of remote data. Akonadi has support for that built in, giving
you free offline support for any remote backend.
* Desktop-wide sharing of your data. As soon as more than one application (say your main
applications and a plasmoid) accesses the same data you need to deal with locking, conflict
detection, change notifications, etc. - or let Akonadi do that for you.

However, if you are just looking for a simple way to store your application data without needing
one of the above, using Akonadi usually means more implementation work for relatively little gain.


So perhaps that explains a little bit about Akonadi......

and this for Nepomuk:
Nepomuk and KDE to introduce the semantic desktop
[http://www.linux.com/feature/144853]

HTH

Blessings,

Nigel


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Akonadi?

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Nigel Ridley said the following at 03/09/2009 10:55 AM :
>
>
>> OK, here are a few useful links that I came up with very quickly using
>> above mentioned 'Useful Start Page':
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_%28framework%29
>> http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/
>> http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
>>
>> All the answers (but not all the solutions -yet).
>
> I disagree, I'm afraid. I have looked at all these pages in the past, and
> have just done so again.
>
> None of them gave me any clue as to how to use either of these tools to
> accomplish something useful.

Actually I thought the Akonadi page gave some pretty significant clues. For
instance: "Because Akonadi takes care of data storage ... traditionally the
difficult parts ... development of PIM applications is made much easier".
If you need a translation, I'm pretty sure it says: "There, we've done the
hard part - the rest is up to you".

> So let me ask you: how exactly does one use these tools?

_You_ don't use Akonadi. It's a back-end, that's all. Whether it's a
useful one, I'm still not sure.

Nepomuk is afaict worse.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org