Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Default Akonadi?

Nigel Ridley wrote:

> I think it's a bit like Mark Greenwood said - that they're still
> experimental. Which does lead to the question as to why they are enabled
> by default.

Akonadi is definitely _not_ experimental. kdepim development using akonadi
was going on when I still hung out on the kdepim-devel list, which is years
ago. The aim in all those years was to have akonadi as the only storage
backend for kdepim in KDE4. So you don't get a choice any more. Akonadi
is the storage backend if you want to use kontact.

--
derek

Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Paul Lemmons

Acondi is a server supporting an API by the same name. Programs such as
email and other PIM applications can take advantage of it or not. The
koffice programs appear to be the first to do so. This means if you use
any of the koffice programs (such as kontact/kmail) you will be using
acondi. It is really the developers of our applications that make the
decisions on whether or not we will be using it.

While it's current value is limited it has the potential to become
something as indispensable as kio. It has the ability to make
transparent integration with a number of different email platforms such
as exchange, notes, or groupwise. This is actually good stuff that we
are seeing in its initial stages. We just need to be patient and watch
it develop.

That said, Thubderbird is not likely to ever use it. So, until there is
an email app that knows how to handle HTML email as well as T-Bird, I
will not be able to take advantage of this. I really wish KMail would
grow up.

--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Jonas Norlander

2009/3/9 D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com>:
> Nigel Ridley said the following at 03/09/2009 10:55 AM :
>

>> OK, here are a few useful links that I came up with very quickly using above mentioned 'Useful
>> Start Page':
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_%28framework%29
>> http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/
>> http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
>>
>> All the answers (but not all the solutions -yet).
>
> I disagree, I'm afraid. I have looked at all these pages in the past, and
> have just done so again.
>
> None of them gave me any clue as to how to use either of these tools to
> accomplish something useful.
>
> It is, however, perfectly likely that I'm just not seeing something obvious.
>
> So let me ask you: how exactly does one use these tools?

I think this interview with one of the developer gave some answers.
http://www.kubuntu-de.org/english/interview-tobias-k-nig-about-development-akonadi

/ Jonas

Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Derek Broughton said the following at 03/09/2009 11:52 AM :

> _You_ don't use Akonadi. It's a back-end, that's all. Whether it's a
> useful one, I'm still not sure.

Isn't it a bit weird that users are presented with configuration setup, then?

At the very least, it seems like there should be a way to know which
applications are using the back-end. There's not much point in configuring
it if you don't know which applications it's going to affect.

I'm not questioning your assertion.

> Nepomuk is afaict worse.

Yeah; that was the one I was really concerned about. It seems to be
completely hopeless to me.

I keep getting the nagging feeling, though, that it's some kind of powerful
tool that is sitting inside my computer waiting for me to access it, if
only I knew how.

(And akonadi and nepomuk sure use a lot of CPU for things that don't seem
to do anything useful.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 03-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Monday 09 March 2009 19:16:35 Derek Broughton wrote:

> Nigel Ridley wrote:

> > I think it's a bit like Mark Greenwood said - that they're still

> > experimental. Which does lead to the question as to why they are enabled

> > by default.

> Akonadi is definitely _not_ experimental. kdepim development using akonadi

> was going on when I still hung out on the kdepim-devel list, which is years

> ago. The aim in all those years was to have akonadi as the only storage

> backend for kdepim in KDE4. So you don't get a choice any more. Akonadi

> is the storage backend if you want to use kontact.

> --

> derek

OK that's great, and all very well, and ... yeah... but why do I care? Why does it advertise its presence all over my system as if it's some kind of application? If it's a backend it should behave like one and remain hidden. Exposing one's backend to all and sundry is just impolite.

Perhaps, you know, if they'd called it 'KDE PIM Storage Backend' instead of giving it a meaningless and confusing name this entire discussion probably would never have happened. Where did this name come from? It would be less confusing if we knew. Is it an acronym perhaps? AKONADI - Another Konfusingly Obfuscated Name Anonymising Dearth of Inspiration? Albert's Kleptomania Only Now Announces Despicable Intentions?

Nepomuk? NEPOMUK? Never Enable Peculiar Old Mechanism Unless Kurious? Nearly Everyone Ponders Obscure Meaningless Unintelligible Klaptrap?

But of course, sensible names are boring.. it's only one step from that to working at Microsoft.. and nobody wants that to happen..

Thanks for Klarifying.

Mark

Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Derek Broughton

Mark Greenwood wrote:

> OK that's great, and all very well, and ... yeah... but why do I care? Why
> does it advertise its presence all over my system as if it's some kind of
> application? If it's a backend it should behave like one and remain
> hidden. Exposing one's backend to all and sundry is just impolite.

LOL. I completely agree.
--
derek

Old 03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Akonadi is a special tool which is designed to eat up RAM without doing
> anything useful.
>
> nepomuk is a special application which is designed to crash the moment you
> log in.

Wow, so they really are trying to be like windows! ☺

Akonadi is _like_ a database: Kontact and Kmail will store information
there. As the information will be in a central place, other
applications could use it.

Nepomuk is (I think) an index service, which will help the user tag
and locate files, contacts, bookmarks, and other bits of information.

Akonadi is important for Kontact in KDE 4.2, which is why it is
included in Jaunty and not in othre distros. I don't remember seeing
it in Intrepid, but I passed over that version (my daily driver is
still Hardy) so I could be wrong.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 10 March 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I don't remember seeing
> it in Intrepid, but I passed over that version (my daily driver is
> still Hardy) so I could be wrong.

It is in Intrepid...... and I tried to remove it and it wanted to also
remove Kmail.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Dotan Cohen

> It is in Intrepid...... * and I tried to remove it and it wanted to also
> remove Kmail.

Because Kmail stores things there. Likewise, if you were to install
kmail on a machine, it would install Akonadi as well.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 10 March 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > It is in Intrepid...... and I tried to remove it and it wanted to also
> > remove Kmail.
>
> Because Kmail stores things there. Likewise, if you were to install
> kmail on a machine, it would install Akonadi as well.

Yes... I knew that.... but someone said they weren't sure it was in Intrepid.