Old 12-31-2007, 08:47 PM
cherryfinals

Default Help with Acer 24" monitor

Hi Gang!

I gave myself a belated Christmas present in an Acer 24" wide LCD
monitor. It' is the P241w model.

I'm using an older Asus motherboard with nVidia graphic on board and
running Gutsy (7.10).

The only drivers that work are nVidia legacy and the only stable screen
is the generic LCD 1920x1200. The updated nVidia drivers will cause a
hard lockup.

My problem is that only 1280x1024 will fill the screen properly. If I
set resolution to 1290x1200, it becomes wider than the monitor and you
have to scroll around.

Any suggestions?

Stan

-Ed Howdershelt

Old 01-01-2008, 02:01 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Monday 31 December 2007, cherryfinals wrote:
> P241w model.

> older Asus motherboard

> My problem is that only 1280x1024 will fill the screen properly. If I
> set resolution to 1920x1200, it becomes wider than the monitor and you
> have to scroll around.

What you're seeing is the desktop is 1920x1200, but the actual display window
is some other size, probably 1280x1024 I'm guessing.

Honestly, if I were in this situation, I would just reach for a live CD of
some type, and hope it got the X config right, then copy it over to my hard
drive.

Also, if you have Windows on that thing, what does Windows do with it? (If
you don't, no complaints here mind you. Just saying if you have it...)

Ooops, gotta run. Maybe somebody else will follow up.
--
D. Michael McIntyre