Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Peter Hummers

Default Adjust autoconfigured Xorg

On my 8.10 Kubuntu install, when I leave X or reboot, the monitor resolution
comes back at 1152x864, too large for my screen, and it's shifted to the right
about 1/3 of a screen's worth. As soon as I go to the System Settings/Display,
it snaps back to 1024x768, properly positioned.

I went to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to adjust it, and found this (this is the whole
file, except for the comments):

> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection

Looks like Xorg is self-configuring nowadays, but can I change X to start up in
1024x768?

~Pete HUMMERS

Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Kaj Haulrich

On Saturday 07 March 2009 23:46:08 Peter Hummers wrote:
> On my 8.10 Kubuntu install, when I leave X or reboot, the monitor
> resolution comes back at 1152x864, too large for my screen, and
> it's shifted to the right about 1/3 of a screen's worth. As soon
> as I go to the System Settings/Display, it snaps back to
> 1024x768, properly positioned.
>
> I went to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to adjust it, and found this (this
> is the whole
>
> file, except for the comments):
> > Section "Device"
> > Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Monitor"
> > Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Screen"
> > Identifier "Default Screen"
> > Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> > Device "Configured Video Device"
> > EndSection
>
> Looks like Xorg is self-configuring nowadays, but can I change X
> to start up in 1024x768?

It helped me to add three lines:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1680x1050" "1024x768" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

HTH

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*** Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer ***
********* Running Linux Kubuntu 8.10 *********

Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 PM
"Mario Andes"

If you have an old version of xorg.conf, simply copy it in /etc/X11!
Always it is possible to corect it with f.e. "kate", a simple text editor or vi.

- Mario Andes

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 23:46:08 +0100, Peter Hummers <phummers@emailhosting.com> wrote:

> On my 8.10 Kubuntu install, when I leave X or reboot, the monitor
> resolution
> comes back at 1152x864, too large for my screen, and it's shifted to the
> right
> about 1/3 of a screen's worth. As soon as I go to the System
> Settings/Display,
> it snaps back to 1024x768, properly positioned.
>
> I went to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to adjust it, and found this (this is the
> whole
> file, except for the comments):
>
>> Section "Device"
>> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Monitor"
>> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>> Identifier "Default Screen"
>> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
>> Device "Configured Video Device"
>> EndSection
>
> Looks like Xorg is self-configuring nowadays, but can I change X to
> start up in
> 1024x768?
>
> ~Pete HUMMERS

Kubuntu 4.3.2 (i486-linux-gnu)

Old 03-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Peter Hummers

On Saturday 07 March 2009 18:12:46 Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Saturday 07 March 2009 23:46:08 Peter Hummers wrote:
> > On my 8.10 Kubuntu install, when I leave X or reboot, the monitor
> > resolution comes back at 1152x864, too large for my screen, and
> > it's shifted to the right about 1/3 of a screen's worth. As soon
> > as I go to the System Settings/Display, it snaps back to
> > 1024x768, properly positioned.
> >
> > I went to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to adjust it, and found this (this
> > is the whole
> >
> > file, except for the comments):
> > > Section "Device"
> > > Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Section "Monitor"
> > > Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Section "Screen"
> > > Identifier "Default Screen"
> > > Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> > > Device "Configured Video Device"
> > > EndSection
> >
> > Looks like Xorg is self-configuring nowadays, but can I change X
> > to start up in 1024x768?
>
> It helped me to add three lines:
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> SubSection "Display"
> Modes "1680x1050" "1024x768" "640x480"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> HTH

Thanks; that did it. I tried that before, but I forgot to add "EndSubSection"

~Pete HUMMERS

Old 03-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Peter Hummers

On Saturday 07 March 2009 18:28:45 Mario Andes wrote:
> If you have an old version of xorg.conf, simply copy it in /etc/X11!
> Always it is possible to corect it with f.e. "kate", a simple text editor
> or vi.
>
> - Mario Andes

Yes, I was searching the 'net for an example and fired off my question in the
meantime. Kaj's suggestion worked, too. Thanks.

Autoconfigured Xorg! I gotta keep up with the times! =)

~Pete HUMMERS

Old 03-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Alvin

On Saturday 07 March 2009 23:46:08 Peter Hummers wrote:
> On my 8.10 Kubuntu install, when I leave X or reboot, the monitor
> resolution comes back at 1152x864, too [...]

Please start a new thread. This thread is about the Print Screen button.