-   -   Dying laptop wireless card (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/258755-dying-laptop-wireless-card.html)

Nigel Ridley 03-07-2009 03:55 PM

Dying laptop wireless card

Hardy Heron - with the latest updates.

My wife has a Dell Vostro A860 with an Atheros wireless card. Suddenly the wireless stopped
working. I did manage to get it going again through the 'Hardware Drivers Manager' > disable the
Atheros drivers, reboot the laptop, go back to 'Hardware Drivers Manager', re-enable the drivers,
reboot and then the wireless worked for about 5 minutes before dying - 'No connection'.
Since then there is no apparent life in the card although it is seen through 'lspci'.
I also tried the latest Kubuntu Jaunty (Alpha 5) live CD, and although the wireless did work on
the laptop last week, this time just the 'No Connection' icon.

How can I check things from the cmd line to see whether the problem is hardware or software.

Blessings,

Nigel