Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Jonas Norlander

Default KDE Color themes and GTK applications

2009/3/7 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>> I'm not satisfied how GTK application looks in KDE when i change KDE
>> color theme. For example: Firefox has problems with color of fonts and
>> backgrounds specially in input and drop down boxes where the text
>> sometimes is unreadable because the colors. Is it just me or do you
>> all have that to?
>>
>> / Jonas
>>

> In System Settings / Kcontrol there should be a place to configure GTK
> apps to use Qt settings. You could also install the gtk-qt-engine and
> don't forget a good Firefox theme, as the default theme in Qt4 looks
> terrible.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen

Thanks but I already know about that and have tried "Use KDE style"
and several of the QT styles but it looks like when i use a dark KDE
style the input boxes in firefox is always the dark KDE background no
matter what QT style i use. I will try some more could be that i
forgot to restart the GTK apps.

Another thing but I'm not sure if its related is that the radio and
check boxes is partly overlapped by text and other elements in the web
pages and that.

/ Jonas

Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Thanks but I already know about that and have tried "Use KDE style"
> and several of the QT styles but it looks like when i use a dark KDE
> style the input boxes in firefox is always the dark KDE background no
> matter what QT style i use. I will try some more could be that i
> forgot to restart the GTK apps.

If you could reproduce that on a clean user with a clean Firefox
profile, then file that as a bug.

> Another thing but I'm not sure if its related is that the radio and
> check boxes is partly overlapped by text and other elements in the web
> pages and that.

Sounds more like an issue with Firefox's font size, which for web
pages it does not take from KDE. Reproduce on the same clean user and
clean profile from the previous issue, and post a screenshot to
imageshack or someplace similar.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Willy Hamra

2009/3/7 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>> Thanks but I already know about that and have tried "Use KDE style"
>> and several of the QT styles but it looks like when i use a dark KDE
>> style the input boxes in firefox is always the dark KDE background no
>> matter what QT style i use. I will try some more could be that i
>> forgot to restart the GTK apps.
>>

> If you could reproduce that on a clean user with a clean Firefox
> profile, then file that as a bug.
>
>> Another thing but I'm not sure if its related is that the radio and
>> check boxes is partly overlapped by text and other elements in the web
>> pages and that.
>>

> Sounds more like an issue with Firefox's font size, which for web
> pages it does not take from KDE. Reproduce on the same clean user and
> clean profile from the previous issue, and post a screenshot to
> imageshack or someplace similar.

after installing gnome-desktop once, i was very satisfied with
human-clearlooks theme for GTK apps in KDE, so now, even if i don't
have GNOME, i install that theme, and ask KDE to use human for GTK
apps, they look very nice

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 03-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Paul S

I'm trying kde 4.2 style klearlooks and qt style clearlooks for gtk apps
and they are a pretty good match.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Paul Rumelhart

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm not satisfied how GTK application looks in KDE when i change KDE
> color theme. For example: Firefox has problems with color of fonts and
> backgrounds specially in input and drop down boxes where the text
> sometimes is unreadable because the colors. Is it just me or do you
> all have that to?
>
> / Jonas

I've had trouble with some foreground/background color issues with some
themes in FF 3, but I don't know if it's related to GTK or not. In
Firefox, I'm using a theme called "Gradient iCool". I'm running compiz
and emerald, and am using an emerald theme called "BlackMist".
Regardless of which of the themes I use in Emerald, I still have the
same issue - which is that the text at the bottom bar of the window is
white on light gray. This also is the case for some dialog boxes. I'm
on Hardy Heron.

I wish they'd add a "kfirefox" to the repos. I know you can determine
which GUI toolkit you are going to use at compile time, so I'm certain
they could put one together that uses QT. I remember doing that when I
compiled from source a few times when I was running Debian stable.

Paul

Old 03-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Dotan Cohen

> I wish they'd add a "kfirefox" to the repos. I know you can determine
> which GUI toolkit you are going to use at compile time, so I'm certain
> they could put one together that uses QT. I remember doing that when I
> compiled from source a few times when I was running Debian stable.

Do you mean to say that Firefox can be compiled with the QT toolkit as
opposed to GTK? I think that you are mistaken.

I have seen Firefox ported to Qt, but it just barely runs and most
certainly is nothing that a distro would package or that even a
typical power user could accomplish.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Jonas Norlander

2009/3/7 Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/7 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>>> Thanks but I already know about that and have tried "Use KDE style"
>>> and several of the QT styles but it looks like when i use a dark KDE
>>> style the input boxes in firefox is always the dark KDE background no
>>> matter what QT style i use. I will try some more could be that i
>>> forgot to restart the GTK apps.
>>>

>> If you could reproduce that on a clean user with a clean Firefox
>> profile, then file that as a bug.
>>
>>> Another thing but I'm not sure if its related is that the radio and
>>> check boxes is partly overlapped by text and other elements in the web
>>> pages and that.
>>>

>> Sounds more like an issue with Firefox's font size, which for web
>> pages it does not take from KDE. Reproduce on the same clean user and
>> clean profile from the previous issue, and post a screenshot to
>> imageshack or someplace similar.
>>

> after installing gnome-desktop once, i was very satisfied with
> human-clearlooks *theme for GTK apps in KDE, so now, even if i don't
> have GNOME, i install that theme, and ask KDE to use human for GTK
> apps, they look very nice

Thanks!

I have tried some of the themes and found that Clearlooks workes OK.
One thing I noticed so far with it is that the Tool tips in Gimp has
black background and black text so you cant read them.
I will put this on ice for now but if any know a good GTK them that
works good together with dark KDE themes let me know.

/ Jonas