Old 03-07-2009, 04:50 AM
"Terrell Prudé Jr."

Default Konqueror crashing at launch with KDE 4.2.1 on Kubuntu Intrepid **SOLVED**

_______________________________

Do you GNU?

Microsoft Free since 2003--the
ultimate antivirus protection!

P Kapat wrote:

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 9:46 PM, <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:

No idea, as I upgraded w/ no problem, but three simple suggestions. *First,
try sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade again. *Then logout/login.
*You may have missed a key package update. *Second, try rebooting the
machine, not just logout/login. *If those don't work, rename your ~/.kde
directory, then logout/login. *KDE will rebuild the directory (you'll have
to reset your configs), but this may solve the problem.
Paul

Renaming ~/.kde will "lose" (i know it is not removing) the user data
too, eg, RSS feeds, addressbook, basket data (if any), bookmarks, ....
- these are not config/guirc files - these are user data!!! The KDE
team should also make the distinction between USER data and
system/application data. For example, ~/.kde/share/apps/kpdf/* is
application data but ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/* is a mix of USER and
application data.

Leaving aside the issue of KDE's instability, this distinction is
important from a regular backup point of view too. I do not want to
back up cache or various GUI rc files or application's data, but I DO
want to backup MY data which is stuck inside the ~/.kde!!! This to me
a huge flaw is the KDE architecture.

Yup, true.* I found that out the hard way one time.

But it looks like the Konqueror crashing issue is now solved.* "apt-get
update" wouldn't work, complaining about an unavailable public key.*
However, Adept (or whatever's used now with KDE 4) was nonetheless able
to find a boatload of KDE updates, which apparently came out sometime
today (06 Mar 2009).* I of course said "yes" to all the updates,
rebooted, and KONQUEROR WORKS AGAIN!

At least KDE 4.2.1 is now usable for me.* Konqueror is half the reason
I use KDE; it's that useful.* Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

--TP