Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default OT: Useful Start Page revisited

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have put the finishing touches to the 'Useful Start Page'.
> It is full of links (in nice drop-down menus - pure CSS ones) and also many useful search boxes.
> It is XHTML and CSS compliant.
>
> You can see it here:
>
> http://www.prayingforisrael.net/Useful_Start_Page/useful_start.html
>
> and, if you like it, or want to adapt it or change it around, you can download it from here:
>
> http://www.prayingforisrael.net/Useful_Start_Page/Useful_Start_Page.zip
>
> It is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license:
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
>
> Thank you to those that helped with some of the technical aspects...
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

I should have added the 'OT' - sorry.

You might also be asking what this has to do with the Kubuntu Users mailing list? Well the very
first 'search box' is [only] for searching the Kubuntu Users mailing list! Just type in your
query and hit the 'Search' button - you will be taken to a Google page with search results ONLY
from this list! Thanks to Matt Flaschen for that one.

Also the very first Menu list contains a ton of useful links, organized by category, for Linux
enthusiasts - like you and I.

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 03-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Also the very first Menu list contains a ton of useful links, organized by category, for Linux
> enthusiasts - like you and I.

Why don't you use a dropdown box for the user to select to which
search engine to use, rather than a separate text field for each one?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Nigel Ridley

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Also the very first Menu list contains a ton of useful links, organized by category, for Linux
>> enthusiasts - like you and I.
>>

> Why don't you use a dropdown box for the user to select to which
> search engine to use, rather than a separate text field for each one?

Hi Dotan,

Aesthetics! The page would look pretty boring with just one search box.
Also I didn't really want to add anymore javascript than is necessary. Apart from that I think it
would over-complicate things.

Any good comments?? :-)

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 03-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Willy Hamra

2009/3/6 Nigel Ridley <nigel@prayingforisrael.net>:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have put the finishing touches to the 'Useful Start Page'.
>> It is full of links (in nice drop-down menus - pure CSS ones) and also many useful search boxes.
>> It is XHTML and CSS compliant.
>>
>> You can see it here:
>>
>> http://www.prayingforisrael.net/Useful_Start_Page/useful_start.html
>>
>> and, if you like it, or want to adapt it or change it around, you can download it from here:
>>
>> http://www.prayingforisrael.net/Useful_Start_Page/Useful_Start_Page.zip
>>
>> It is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license:
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
>>
>> Thank you to those that helped with some of the technical aspects...
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel
>>

> I should have added the 'OT' - sorry.
>
> You might also be asking what this has to do with the Kubuntu Users mailing list? Well the very
> first 'search box' is [only] for searching the Kubuntu Users mailing list! Just type in your
> query and hit the 'Search' button - you will be taken to a Google page with search results ONLY
> from this list! Thanks to Matt Flaschen for that one.
>
> Also the very first Menu list contains a ton of useful links, organized by category, for Linux
> enthusiasts - like you and I.

i was following this thread at it's begining, it was very simple back
then. but now, i was like WOW! freaking amazing!
good job
--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Steven Vollom

Willy Hamra wrote:
> 2009/3/6 Nigel Ridley <nigel@prayingforisrael.net>:
>
>> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have put the finishing touches to the 'Useful Start Page'.
>>> It is full of links (in nice drop-down menus - pure CSS ones) and also many useful search boxes.
>>> It is XHTML and CSS compliant.
>>>
>>> You can see it here:
>>>
>>> http://www.prayingforisrael.net/Useful_Start_Page/useful_start.html
>>>
>>> and, if you like it, or want to adapt it or change it around, you can download it from here:
>>>
>>> http://www.prayingforisrael.net/Useful_Start_Page/Useful_Start_Page.zip
>>>
>>> It is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license:
>>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
>>>
>>> Thank you to those that helped with some of the technical aspects...
>>>
>>> Enjoy!
>>>
>>> Blessings,
>>>
>>> Nigel
>>>

>> I should have added the 'OT' - sorry.
>>
>> You might also be asking what this has to do with the Kubuntu Users mailing list? Well the very
>> first 'search box' is [only] for searching the Kubuntu Users mailing list! Just type in your
>> query and hit the 'Search' button - you will be taken to a Google page with search results ONLY
>> from this list! Thanks to Matt Flaschen for that one.
>>
>> Also the very first Menu list contains a ton of useful links, organized by category, for Linux
>> enthusiasts - like you and I.
>>

> i was following this thread at it's begining, it was very simple back
> then. but now, i was like WOW! freaking amazing!
> good job

Does this replace my existing desktop or can I link to it from the
panel? It looks like a wonderful piece of work, and a real benefit to
someone like me. Thanks!

Steven

Old 03-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Pastor JW

On Friday 06 March 2009 2:07:43 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> Willy Hamra wrote:

> >> Also the very first Menu list contains a ton of useful links, organized
> >> by category, for Linux enthusiasts - like you and I.
> >
> > i was following this thread at it's begining, it was very simple back
> > then. but now, i was like WOW! freaking amazing!
> > good job
>
> Does this replace my existing desktop or can I link to it from the
> panel? It looks like a wonderful piece of work, and a real benefit to
> someone like me.

It is a nice page but no, you don't want to away with your desktop, any of
them really. You want to quit trying to do that! It would however, make a
nice useful home page for your browser!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Dotan Cohen

>> Does this replace my existing desktop or can I link to it from the
>> panel? *It looks like a wonderful piece of work, and a real benefit to
>> someone like me.
>
> It is a nice page but no, you don't want to away with your desktop, any of
> them really. *You want to quit trying to do that! *It would however, make a
> nice useful home page for your browser!

Why not? KDE4 has the web browser widget. It's not enough for real web
browsing, but for looking up information quickly with a start page
like this, it should suffice.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Steven Vollom

> It is a nice page but no, you don't want to away with your desktop, any of
> them really. You want to quit trying to do that! It would however, make a
> nice useful home page for your browser!

Thanks, I will do that. I usually have a no advertisement Google home
page, but I like this much better. Thank you so very much. It is a
GODsend for people like me.

Steven

Old 03-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Brian Norman Wootton

Enjoy!

>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel

Excellent! downloaded it! now in my FF toolbar, works fine
ta muchly
brian