-   -   Wine doesn't work in my Intrepid 64bit KDE 4.2 OS. (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/258230-wine-doesnt-work-my-intrepid-64bit-kde-4-2-os.html)

Steven Vollom 03-06-2009 02:20 PM

Wine doesn't work in my Intrepid 64bit KDE 4.2 OS.

I want to download and install e-Sword. I had no problems on Gutsy or
Hardy, however, it won't even start to download on Intrepid. On the
e-Sword site they warn that firewalls and certain browsers do not work
with their system. But since I have installed on Gutsy and Hardy, I
expected Intrepid to work too. My system is 64bit, but it is also AMD
and will work 32bit applications.

I don't know if my problem is with Wine or Intrepid or KDE 4.2. Anyone
have experience with this problem? I much prefer the e-Sword
application over the one in our repositories. I prefer the Good News
Bible, and it is not available on the Kubuntu version of e-Sword. I am
trying to avoid recommendations to download the Linux version. It
doesn't do what I need. Thanks!

Steven

Matthew Flaschen 03-06-2009 04:06 PM

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I don't know if my problem is with Wine or Intrepid or KDE 4.2. Anyone
> have experience with this problem? I much prefer the e-Sword
> application over the one in our repositories.

Steven, you have to provide a lot more information if you want people to
help. Are you using wine from the repos? Run:

wine --version

Then, what happens when you try to start e-Sword using wine from the
terminal?

Matt Flaschen

Eberhard Roloff 03-06-2009 04:18 PM

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I want to download and install e-Sword.

okay. You enter the e-sword webpage. You download the file setup.806 exe
to your hardisk and you will memorize where you downlaoded it.

Then you click on the file and choose "open with wine".

What happens?

If something goes wrong, open konsole and go to where you downloaded
setup806.exe.

When you are there, type "wine setup806.exe" What happens?

I just tried on Intrepid 32 and it works immediately. There is a dll
error reported, when the application starts, but this is easy to repair.

kind regards
Eberhard

Steven Vollom 03-06-2009 08:43 PM

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Then you click on the file and choose "open with wine".
>
> What happens?

You have me laughing again. I thought I did just that. It installed, I
think perfectly. I had to convert the bibles to .bbl's to get the
bibles to work, but I have a cd of that and will add them later.
Perhaps I don't have a Wine problem after all.

Can I attempt to install the ASUS Sound Card installation CD to see what
is inside? Perhaps it will have settings help.

Eberhard Roloff 03-07-2009 11:32 AM

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> Then you click on the file and choose "open with wine".
>>
>> What happens?
>>
> You have me laughing again. I thought I did just that. It installed, I
> think perfectly. I had to convert the bibles to .bbl's to get the
> bibles to work, but I have a cd of that and will add them later.
> Perhaps I don't have a Wine problem after all.

Great that it is working!

> Can I attempt to install the ASUS Sound Card installation CD to see what
> is inside? Perhaps it will have settings help.

No! Alternatively, install windows and use Your ASUS CD-Roms with Windows.

Kind regards
Eberhard