Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Neil Winchurst

Default Firefox3

I am using Kubuntu Hardy and Firefox v 2.0.0.19.

A couple of questions please.

I know that there is version 3 of FF available. Can both versions be
installed without problems? Or would I need to uninstall v 2 first?

Does v 3 have any advantages over v 2 or would it be a pointless exercise?

Thanks for any suggestions etc

Neil Winchurst

Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Neil Winchurst

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I am using Kubuntu Hardy and Firefox v 2.0.0.19.
>
> A couple of questions please.
>
> I know that there is version 3 of FF available. Can both versions be
> installed without problems? Or would I need to uninstall v 2 first?
>
> Does v 3 have any advantages over v 2 or would it be a pointless exercise?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions etc
>
> Neil Winchurst

To answer my own question -

yes, I can have both versions available at the same time. I installed
FF3 using Adept. The latest version was there for me (3.0.7) as I have
the backports repository enabled.

When it installed it found two of my addons were not up to date enough
and offered to install the latest version, which I did. It also found
all my bookmarks and my home page. In all it worked brilliantly.

So now I can choose to run either version, so I will of course use the
new one.

Any updates will now be offered to me automatically, so that is one
advantage. I will now see what others extras I can find.

Feeling very pleased

Neil Winchurst

Old 03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Jonathan Kaye

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I am using Kubuntu Hardy and Firefox v 2.0.0.19.
>
> A couple of questions please.
Hi Neil,

> I know that there is version 3 of FF available. Can both versions be
> installed without problems? Or would I need to uninstall v 2 first?
For major version differences, you can have both installed. While v.3 was
still in beta I kept v.2 until the release of v.3
> Does v 3 have any advantages over v 2 or would it be a pointless exercise?
The best way to find out is go to the Mozilla Firefox website and check out
the features for version 3 ("what's new in version 3" or something like
that). Then you decide for yourself. The only downside is that some of your
plugins or extension or themes may not be compatible with v.3 but you can
check that out when you install 3 and if it is missing something that is
vital for you just dump it.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I am using Kubuntu Hardy and Firefox v 2.0.0.19.
>
> A couple of questions please.
>
> I know that there is version 3 of FF available. Can both versions be
> installed without problems?

Yes, but only if you use different profiles.

> Does v 3 have any advantages over v 2 or would it be a pointless exercise?

I've come to actually find the awesome bar
(http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2008/04/21/a-little-something-awesome-about-firefox-3/)
quite awesome, and haven't found any notable downsides (now that most
extensions have been ported).

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Neil Winchurst

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> I am using Kubuntu Hardy and Firefox v 2.0.0.19.
>>
>> A couple of questions please.
>>
>> I know that there is version 3 of FF available. Can both versions be
>> installed without problems?
>
> Yes, but only if you use different profiles.

Actually I am using the same profile, and it seems to work OK. I
understand what you mean though, but I am planning to stick with V3 only
now.

>> Does v 3 have any advantages over v 2 or would it be a pointless exercise?
>
> I've come to actually find the awesome bar
> (http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2008/04/21/a-little-something-awesome-about-firefox-3/)
> quite awesome, and haven't found any notable downsides (now that most
> extensions have been ported).

I will have a look at that, thanks

Neil