Old 03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Steven Vollom

Default Home icon on Panel Disappeared. Intrepid 64bit KDE 4.2

Upon recommendation, I backed up then removed .kde from my system. When
the new desktop came on screen. Most everything was normal again except
the restoration of default configuration.

At a time when I was working on other problems relating to my computer,
I needed the Home button that is usually right next to the Kmenu button
on the panel. I call it that because the button has a shadow picture of
a home on it, a little house without details.

I opened and selected 'add widgets', however the icon I describe here
as the 'Home' button doesn't seem to be on the list.

The 'Home' button from the panel is a plasmoid that I use and want back.

Thanks!

Steven

Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Jonas Norlander

2009/3/5 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> Upon recommendation, I backed up then removed .kde from my system. *When
> the new desktop came on screen. *Most everything was normal again except
> the restoration of default configuration.
>
> At a time when I was working on other problems relating to my computer,
> I needed the Home button that is usually right next to the Kmenu button
> on the panel. *I call it that because the button has a shadow picture of
> a home on it, a little house without details.
>
> I opened and selected *'add widgets', *however the icon I describe here
> as the 'Home' button doesn't seem to be on the list.
>
> The 'Home' button from the panel is a plasmoid that I use and want back.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steven

Heres one way to do it; Click K menu -->Computer, there you have i
icon "Home", right click on it and choose "add to panel". Now you
should have a new icon in your panel, you may have to move it to where
you want it to be on the panel and perhaps choose another icon for it
as mine was a normal folder icon. Do that by right click on it and
choose "Settings for icon".

/ Jonas

Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 13:25 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> Upon recommendation, I backed up then removed .kde from my system. When
> the new desktop came on screen. Most everything was normal again except
> the restoration of default configuration.
>
> At a time when I was working on other problems relating to my computer,
> I needed the Home button that is usually right next to the Kmenu button
> on the panel. I call it that because the button has a shadow picture of
> a home on it, a little house without details.
>
> I opened and selected 'add widgets', however the icon I describe here
> as the 'Home' button doesn't seem to be on the list.
>
> The 'Home' button from the panel is a plasmoid that I use and want back.

Steven, next time don't just erase a directory with possible user data
in it. Use the mv command to "move" the directory to something like
kde-orig:
mv .kde .kde-orig <---remember to use the dot

This is just as good to the system as removing it (delete) as it ain't
there no more since it's named something else. Good idea in the future.
Plus you could cd into the .kde-orig directory, and retrieve stuff
selectively and copy it to the new .kde directory. Kapeesh? Just about
any dot-file will mostly be user configurations, so keeping a copy is a
good thing until you're sure you are 100%. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 03-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Steven Vollom

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 13:25 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Upon recommendation, I backed up then removed .kde from my system. When
>> the new desktop came on screen. Most everything was normal again except
>> the restoration of default configuration.
>>
>> At a time when I was working on other problems relating to my computer,
>> I needed the Home button that is usually right next to the Kmenu button
>> on the panel. I call it that because the button has a shadow picture of
>> a home on it, a little house without details.
>>
>> I opened and selected 'add widgets', however the icon I describe here
>> as the 'Home' button doesn't seem to be on the list.
>>
>> The 'Home' button from the panel is a plasmoid that I use and want back.
>>

> Steven, next time don't just erase a directory with possible user data
> in it. Use the mv command to "move" the directory to something like
> kde-orig:
> mv .kde .kde-orig <---remember to use the dot
>
> This is just as good to the system as removing it (delete) as it ain't
> there no more since it's named something else. Good idea in the future.
> Plus you could cd into the .kde-orig directory, and retrieve stuff
> selectively and copy it to the new .kde directory. Kapeesh? Just about
> any dot-file will mostly be user configurations, so keeping a copy is a
> good thing until you're sure you are 100%. Ric

Thanks, I am changing the name to .old so I can get it back.
Steven

Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 00:00 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 13:25 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > This is just as good to the system as removing it (delete) as it ain't
> > there no more since it's named something else. Good idea in the future.
> > Plus you could cd into the .kde-orig directory, and retrieve stuff
> > selectively and copy it to the new .kde directory. Kapeesh? Just about
> > any dot-file will mostly be user configurations, so keeping a copy is a
> > good thing until you're sure you are 100%. Ric
> >

> Thanks, I am changing the name to .old so I can get it back.
> Steven

I'd name it .kde-old so you don't loose sight of what is being backed
up. I'm forgetful as heck, too. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987