Old 03-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default Palm device sync problems

I've got a Palm Z22 and under Hardy I can't get it to sync at all.
I did manage to get it to sync on my boy's Intrepid box - once! That was using KPilot. But not
anymore.

I have since used JPilot and Gnome-Pilot which gave an error message that the permissions on
/dev/pilot wrong and that it couldn't write to /dev/pilot
However /dev/pilot doesn't exist!

Hitting the 'sync' button and doing a 'lsusb' (on my Hardy laptop) gives:
Bus 003 Device 058: ID 0830:0061 Palm, Inc.

Any advice or solutions?

I did find this on one forum:
<quote>
Fixed. Simply a matter of editing the files under /etc/udev/permissions.d. KPilot 4.4.6 worked fine.
<end quote>
But he didn't say what he edited....

Another suggested to:
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pilot
chmod 0666 /dev/pilot

But how do I know what tty to use?

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Fabian Rodriguez

Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Nigel Ridley

Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I've got a Palm Z22 and under Hardy I can't get it to sync at all.
>> I did manage to get it to sync on my boy's Intrepid box - once! That was using KPilot. But not
>> anymore.
>
> Try using "usb:" as the device. That's right, not "/dev.." or anything
> similar, just "usb:" in System > Preferences > Palm OS devices.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - --
> Fabián Rodríguez, FSF #3877
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MagicFab
> Montreal, QC, Canada

I had already tried that - it gave an error message - something about 'usb' being theo 'old' way
to connect and that now it needs to be through /dev/pilot.
I think it has to do with the new way that the kernel sees devices.

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Fabian Rodriguez

Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Amichai Rotman

Have you seen these:

I got it with a simple Google query...

Good Luck!

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

.:================================================ ====:.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Derek Broughton

Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I had already tried that - it gave an error message - something about
>> 'usb' being theo 'old' way to connect and that now it needs to be through
>> /dev/pilot. I think it has to do with the new way that the kernel sees
>> devices.

That doesn't sound right at all.

> Well, I use that and it works for me in Intrepid. Perhaps revert any
> other changes you made and try again ?

Yes, worked for me too.

In any case, you don't need to create /dev/pilot. It is created by udev
when the kernel module "visor" is loaded. visor should be loaded
automatically when you start the sync, but just in case, try:

# sudo modprobe visor

and see what /dev/pilot is set to.
--
derek