Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Steven Vollom

Default Unable to run the command specified. Using Wine.

The file or folder file:///home/steven/Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:
does not exist. I just installed Wine on my 64bit Intrepid KDE 4.2.

Haven't used it much in the past, so I don't remember how to configure.
I was told that in KDE 4.2 it was automatic; if so, I must have another
problem. I want to install a ZIP application and need to run an .exe.
I downloaded zipcrypt.exe, which sounds like it will do what I need
done. Any help please.

Steven

Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Paul Rumelhart

Steven Vollom wrote:
> The file or folder file:///home/steven/Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:
> does not exist. I just installed Wine on my 64bit Intrepid KDE 4.2.
>
> Haven't used it much in the past, so I don't remember how to configure.
> I was told that in KDE 4.2 it was automatic; if so, I must have another
> problem. I want to install a ZIP application and need to run an .exe.
> I downloaded zipcrypt.exe, which sounds like it will do what I need
> done. Any help please.
>
> Steven

The .wine directory is usually under the home directory, so try
file:///home/steven/.wine/dosdevices/c: or
file:///home/steven/.wine/drive_c instead.

Having said that, what you really should do is find where zipcrypt.exe
has been downloaded to, which is probably not under your .wine
sub-directory. Just navigate to where the file is using dolphin or
konqueror and click on it. Wine should launch if it's installed, and it
should install to your c: drive directory above. It might even put an
icon under the "wine" entry in your K-Menu, if that's still valid with
KDE 4.2.

Having said /that/, you probably don't need to install zipcrypt.exe,
since Kubuntu can read .zip files just fine. Just navigate to where you
have downloaded your zipped application in dolphin or konqueror, and
click on it. It will probably come up in an archive manager that will
let you extract it to the location of your choice. You can then
navigate there and click on the .exe file. If it's an install file,
then it will put your program in the right place for Wine. If it isn't,
you can still run it from there. Programs don't have to be on your fake
c: drive under the .wine directory to run. If you want it to be on the
fake c: drive, you can always extract it there.

Paul

Paul

Old 03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Steven Vollom

Paul Rumelhart wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
> konqueror and click on it. Wine should launch if it's installed, and it
> should install to your c: drive directory above. It might even put an
> icon under the "wine" entry in your K-Menu, if that's still valid with
> KDE 4.2.

When I launch, I get the following error:

An error occurred while loading the archive.
> Having said /that/, you probably don't need to install zipcrypt.exe,
> since Kubuntu can read .zip files just fine.
Dear Paul, I need to zip and encrypt a file send in an email. Does the
default zip application do that? Thanks!

Steven

Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Steven Vollom wrote:

> Dear Paul, I need to zip and encrypt a file send in an email. Does the
> default zip application do that? Thanks!

Hi Steven,
I did not find anything for zip. But 7-zip does it.
Try "7z" as a command. Then you should see many parameters, among them
"-p password", which is what you are looking for.

If 7z does not produce anything, you probably need to install 7zip
before proceeding.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Jonas Norlander

2009/3/4 Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de>:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Dear Paul, *I need to zip and encrypt a file send in an email. *Does the
>> default zip application do that? *Thanks!
>>
> Hi Steven,
> I did not find anything for zip. But 7-zip does it.
> Try "7z" as a command. Then you should see many parameters, among them
> "-p password", which is what you are looking for.
>
> If 7z does not produce anything, you probably need to install 7zip
> before proceeding.
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

The default GUI program in Kubunto for compress/decompress different
archive formats is Ark. To creat zip files from the comandline use the
zip command and to uncompress the unzip command. 7z do support many
common archives including ZIP, CAB, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, RPM
and DEB archives.

/ Jonas

Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Steven Vollom

>> Hi Steven,
>> I did not find anything for zip. But 7-zip does it.
>> Try "7z" as a command. Then you should see many parameters, among them
>> "-p password", which is what you are looking for.

Is 7zip a command line tool only? When I opened Alt+f2, and clicked on
run 7z, nothing came on the screen.

In the shell, I see the '-p{Password}:' parameter. Is that when I want
to protect a password inside a zip, or is that a password to protect 7zip?

Do I then create a file that has my password in it, then what do I type
into the command line?

I looked at the man pages for 7z and could see that it is above me yet.
My mind started to drift half way though. I am sure after I have
executed a few commands with parameters that I understand, I will get to
know how to choose the correct ones. Right now, my mind goes into
overload, before I have read the whole manual.

Steven

Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Steven Vollom

Paul Rumelhart wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> The file or folder file:///home/steven/Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:
>> does not exist. I just installed Wine on my 64bit Intrepid KDE 4.2.
>>
>> Haven't used it much in the past, so I don't remember how to configure.
>> I was told that in KDE 4.2 it was automatic; if so, I must have another
>> problem. I want to install a ZIP application and need to run an .exe.
>> I downloaded zipcrypt.exe, which sounds like it will do what I need
>> done. Any help please.
>>
>> Steven
>>

> The .wine directory is usually under the home directory, so try
> file:///home/steven/.wine/dosdevices/c: or
> file:///home/steven/.wine/drive_c instead.
>
> Having said that, what you really should do is find where zipcrypt.exe
> has been downloaded to, which is probably not under your .wine
> sub-directory. Just navigate to where the file is using dolphin or
> konqueror and click on it. Wine should launch if it's installed, and it
> should install to your c: drive directory above. It might even put an
> icon under the "wine" entry in your K-Menu, if that's still valid with
> KDE 4.2.
>
> Having said /that/, you probably don't need to install zipcrypt.exe,
> since Kubuntu can read .zip files just fine. Just navigate to where you
> have downloaded your zipped application in dolphin or konqueror, and
> click on it. It will probably come up in an archive manager that will
> let you extract it to the location of your choice. You can then
> navigate there and click on the .exe file. If it's an install file,
> then it will put your program in the right place for Wine. If it isn't,
> you can still run it from there. Programs don't have to be on your fake
> c: drive under the .wine directory to run. If you want it to be on the
> fake c: drive, you can always extract it there.
>
> Paul
>
> Paul
>

> I have a glitch in my wine application that I haven't found the fix for yet. I am working on too many things at once right now. As I complete some of these problems, I won't add more until the list is reduced a bit.

I forgot, but it was stopped because of the problem in wine. I will
have to fix that first. Thanks!

Steven

Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 AM
David McGlone

On Thursday 05 March 2009 1:44:47 am Steven Vollom wrote:
> Paul Rumelhart wrote:
> > Steven Vollom wrote:
> >> The file or folder file:///home/steven/Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:
> >> does not exist. I just installed Wine on my 64bit Intrepid KDE 4.2.
> >>
> >> Haven't used it much in the past, so I don't remember how to configure.
> >> I was told that in KDE 4.2 it was automatic; if so, I must have another
> >> problem. I want to install a ZIP application and need to run an .exe.
> >> I downloaded zipcrypt.exe, which sounds like it will do what I need
> >> done. Any help please.
> >>
> >> Steven
> >
> > The .wine directory is usually under the home directory, so try
> > file:///home/steven/.wine/dosdevices/c: or
> > file:///home/steven/.wine/drive_c instead.
> >
> > Having said that, what you really should do is find where zipcrypt.exe
> > has been downloaded to, which is probably not under your .wine
> > sub-directory. Just navigate to where the file is using dolphin or
> > konqueror and click on it. Wine should launch if it's installed, and it
> > should install to your c: drive directory above. It might even put an
> > icon under the "wine" entry in your K-Menu, if that's still valid with
> > KDE 4.2.
> >
> > Having said /that/, you probably don't need to install zipcrypt.exe,
> > since Kubuntu can read .zip files just fine. Just navigate to where you
> > have downloaded your zipped application in dolphin or konqueror, and
> > click on it. It will probably come up in an archive manager that will
> > let you extract it to the location of your choice. You can then
> > navigate there and click on the .exe file. If it's an install file,
> > then it will put your program in the right place for Wine. If it isn't,
> > you can still run it from there. Programs don't have to be on your fake
> > c: drive under the .wine directory to run. If you want it to be on the
> > fake c: drive, you can always extract it there.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > Paul
> >

> > I have a glitch in my wine application that I haven't found the fix for
> > yet. I am working on too many things at once right now. As I complete
> > some of these problems, I won't add more until the list is reduced a bit.
>
> I forgot, but it was stopped because of the problem in wine. I will
> have to fix that first. Thanks!

Why use wine to install an archiving utility, when Kubuntu can do all that?

Come to think of it, an even easier way is to install Extract And Compress so
you get all the functionality to zip, unzip, tar, etc. in the right click
menu.
http://fosswire.com/post/2008/08/extract-archives-on-right-click-in-kde-4/

David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net