-   -   USB Unmounting Problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/256752-usb-unmounting-problem.html)

Amichai Rotman 03-04-2009 07:06 AM

USB Unmounting Problem

Hello,

I know this is a bit off-topic, but bare with me please:

I have a Nokia E71 Smart Phone which I use as my OGG and MP3* player on the go...

I have two issues:

I connect the phone to my Kubuntu Hardy box via USB (in Mass Storage mode), transfer a bunch of MP3 files (about 1GB in total) then unmount the device by right clicking it's icon on the desktop and choosing 'Safely Remove' - it does unmount it, but he icon stays on the desktop.

Then I run 'sudo sync' from the console (just as a precaution).

Then I unplug the USB cable from my box, and the icon disappears...

Here's the problem: When I fire up the internal Music Player (a.k.a Symbian Music Player) and try to refresh the song list, it claims a USB connection is in progress. When I go to the Memory application to check the capacity taken / free on the memory card - it claims the card is in use!

The only escape is to reboot my phone. Then, when I try to refresh the list in the Music Player, it goes into an endless loop...

I tried to get some help from my cell phone carrier and Nokia's local rep - to no avail...

I now have to Hard Reset (format) my phone to fix the Music Player...

What I want to know is, why can't I fully unmount my phone (make the icon disappear from the desktop as I unmount it) because it seems the problem is caused by the phone thinking iit is still connected to my computer's USB port.

There is no way to 'unmount' the phone from the phone side (kind of turning off the USB connection before actually pulling the USB...

Can any of you think of a solution?

I would like to format my phone and then try it again, and I don't want to have to format again...

I hope a firmware update will fix this from the phone side, but I need to travel for that, so it won't be done soon...

Thanks!
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Eberhard Roloff 03-04-2009 07:14 AM

USB Unmounting Problem

Amichai Rotman wrote:

> There is no way to 'unmount' the phone from the phone side (kind of
> turning off the USB connection before actually pulling the USB...

you might try it the hard way and use the command line instead of a gui.
Mount your phone, fill in the music and finally cleanly umount the device.

I am afraid that the remaining 90% of the problem will be at the remote
end of your USB-cable. ;-)

Kind regards
Eberhard

Amichai Rotman 03-04-2009 07:36 AM

USB Unmounting Problem

Eberhard,

When I plug the phone it prompts me to mount the card as a removable drive. I also tried clicking* cancel and do it from the console - same thing.

Here I got another problem:

I use Midnight Commander to copy the files to the phone, but after a certain amount of MB moved, it hangs forver and I have to kill the MC process from another terminal window. It seems there is a buffer that fills... Where can I change it?

I haven't tried using good old cp for the job...

Thanks!
.:================================================ ====:.

David Fletcher 03-04-2009 08:13 AM

USB Unmounting Problem

I've got a different device to yours, but here's how I got mine working
properly:-
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2007-November/022195.html

which may or may not be of use to yourself. It certainly copies all of the
files to my T60 without problems.

As for unmounting, you should always right-click the icon of the device on the
desktop and select "Safely Remove" to ensure that any data which are in a
buffer on the PC are properly written to the device and the USB connection
properly shut down. What I have found when doing this is, when I safely
remove on my desktop which is still running Gutsy, the icon disappears when
everything is completed. With Hardy the icon remains until the device is
unplugged, but it changes to show that it is no longer mounted. I've not so
far tried Intrepid, so cannot comment.

Any help?

Dave