-   -   Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/256708-clicking-plasmoid-desktop-folders-opens-kaffeine.html)

Steven Vollom 03-04-2009 05:08 AM

Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

Intrepid KDE 4.2. All folders in the 'Desktop Folder' Plasmoid and
'Home' folder Plasmoid open Kaffeine Player when you click on them.

Also, Kmenu button has disappeared from panel.

Steven

Johnny Ernst Nielsen 03-04-2009 07:44 AM

Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

Greetings Steven.

onsdag den 4. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> Intrepid KDE 4.2. All folders in the 'Desktop Folder' Plasmoid and
> 'Home' folder Plasmoid open Kaffeine Player when you click on them.

I haven't seen that problem yet, so I can only guess.

First, go check your folder mime type/file association
(inode/directory), to see if it has been changed to start Kaffeine in
stead of Dolphin.

If not, then try and view the folders in Dolphin.
Open Dolphin from the K menu, and browse to the folders shown in the
folder views.
In Dolphin, do all folders also open Kaffeine?

If folders behave properly in Dolphin, but not in folder views, try to
remove the current folder view plasmoids.
Then add them again, to see if freshly added folder views corrects the
problem.

If it doesn't, try to restart KDE.
I.e. log out, and then log in again.

If the problem persists, you _could_ try to restart the computer
proper. One never knows.

If the problem is still there, I'm blank.

> Also, Kmenu button has disappeared from panel.

Unlock widgets, and add widgets.
The K menu button is a widget :o)

Actually there are two K menu widgets - one with the new menu style,
and one with the old menu style.

Best regards

Johnny :o)

Steven Vollom 03-04-2009 01:29 PM

Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

> First, go check your folder mime type/file association
> (inode/directory), to see if it has been changed to start Kaffeine in
> stead of Dolphin.

I went to .local/share/mime/ I looked at ever file in every folder and
could not find anything called inode; I could not find anything
identified as mime type/file association. I could not see any name for
a folder or file named Kaffeine. I am not so knowledgeable; am I
taking the right approach to search for your advice?
> If not, then try and view the folders in Dolphin.
> Open Dolphin from the K menu, and browse to the folders shown in the
> folder views.
> In Dolphin, do all folders also open Kaffeine?

No, just in the plasmoids on the Desktop.
> If folders behave properly in Dolphin, but not in folder views, try to
> remove the current folder view plasmoids.
> Then add them again, to see if freshly added folder views corrects the
> problem.

If I do this, do I lose the contents of the folders in 'Desktop Folder'
plasmoid? I have some pretty important stuff in there that is not yet
backed up.
> If it doesn't, try to restart KDE.
> I.e. log out, and then log in again.

That doesn't work
> If the problem persists, you _could_ try to restart the computer
> proper. One never knows.

That doesn't change anything.
> If the problem is still there, I'm blank.
>

>> Also, Kmenu button has disappeared from panel.
>>

> Unlock widgets, and add widgets.
> The K menu button is a widget :o)

I will wait for a reply before removing the plasmoid. Thanks!

Steven

Steven Vollom 03-04-2009 01:33 PM

Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

> Unlock widgets, and add widgets.
> The K menu button is a widget :o)
>

> Is the widget 'Home' also a plasmoid? If so what is it called in the add widgets menu? It doesn't seem to be titled 'Home' there.

Steven

Steven Vollom 03-04-2009 01:47 PM

Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

Dear Johnny,

I got the kmenu Icon back on the panel. Thanks a lot. The Quick Axcess
looked like it may be the one, but installed I can't find it on the
Desktop. I removed the Desktop Folder widget, after putting the
Important folders in 'Home' plasmoid.
I cannot find the 'Desktop Folder' plasmoid in the add widgets list.

Steven

Johnny Ernst Nielsen 03-04-2009 09:18 PM

Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

Greetings Steven.

onsdag den 4. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> I went to .local/share/mime/ I looked at ever file in every folder
> and could not find anything called inode; I could not find anything
> identified as mime type/file association. I could not see any name
> for a folder or file named Kaffeine. I am not so knowledgeable;
> am I taking the right approach to search for your advice?

Well, thats the hard way to check mime types ;o)

You could also open System Settings, choose the Advanced tab, and then
File Associations.
Unfold the inode node, and select the directory sub node.
On the right you can then see what programs are set up to handle
directories.
The program at the top of the list is the one that is used when you
click directory icons (folders) to open them. The other programs are
the ones that are present in the directories' right click pop up
menu, under the "Open with" sub menu.

> [Only folder view plasmoids exhibit the problem]
>
> > [...] try to remove the current folder view plasmoids.
> > Then add them again, to see if freshly added folder views
> > corrects the problem.
>
> If I do this, do I lose the contents of the folders in 'Desktop
> Folder' plasmoid? I have some pretty important stuff in there that
> is not yet backed up.

You don't loose any files.
The folder view plasmoid is only a viewing window into whatever folder
you set it up to show. Just like Dolphin's window.
I should have used the word "close" in stead of "remove". Sorry.

Best regards

Johnny :o)

Johnny Ernst Nielsen 03-04-2009 09:32 PM

Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

Greetings Steven.

onsdag den 4. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> > Unlock widgets, and add widgets.
> > The K menu button is a widget :o)
> >
> > Is the widget 'Home' also a plasmoid? If so what is it called in
> > the add widgets menu? It doesn't seem to be titled 'Home' there.

There is only one widget to show folder contents:
The Folder View widget.

You can add as many folder view widgets you like, and each one can be
set up individually to show whatever folder you want it to show.

When you have added a folder view widget, just hover the mouse over
the widget to get the widget tool bar to pop out from the widget.
Then click the wrench on the widget toolbar, to get to the widget
settings. In the settings you can tell the widget what folder you
want it to display.

Best regards

Johnny :o)

Johnny Ernst Nielsen 03-04-2009 09:51 PM

Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

Greetings Steven.

onsdag den 4. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> I got the kmenu Icon back on the panel. Thanks a lot. The Quick
> Axcess looked like it may be the one, but installed I can't find it
> on the Desktop.

Where the Quick Access plasmoid is put depends on exactly how you add
it.

If you drag and drop from the Add Widgets window, the widget should be
put on the desktop if that is where you drop it, or in the panel if
that is where you drop it.

I have had a few times where dropping a plasmoid doesn't add it
anywhere. So I try again, and has succeeded in a couple of attempts.

Maybe I'm slow, but the following tricked me a couple of times:

If you have opened the Add Widgets window from the desktop cashew, and
click the Add Widget button, the widget will be placed on the
desktop.

If you have opened the Add Widgets window from the panel settings, and
click the Add Widget button, the widget will be placed in the panel.

It's quite logical really.

> I removed the Desktop Folder widget, after putting
> the Important folders in 'Home' plasmoid.
> I cannot find the 'Desktop Folder' plasmoid in the add widgets
> list.

At this point I think I would refer to the explanation of the folder
view widget principle in a previous post.

Of course you are still very welcome to ask for whatever clarification
you need :o)

Best regards

Johnny :o)

Steven Vollom 03-05-2009 01:37 AM

Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

> You could also open System Settings, choose the Advanced tab, and then
> File Associations.
> Unfold the inode node, and select the directory sub node.
> On the right you can then see what programs are set up to handle
> directories.
> The program at the top of the list is the one that is used when you
> click directory icons (folders) to open them. The other programs are
> the ones that are present in the directories' right click pop up
> menu, under the "Open with" sub menu.

I am laughing so hard I have tears. I am not sure if you are just so
smart that I cannot relate, or playing with me, but it will take a while
for me to just figure out what you said. It is not easy to be me. I
understand too little to play this game with computers, however, I am
persistent, and although I may never catch up, I will learn enough to
keep me happy. You are just great, even if you are playing with me.

I can't do that right now. I am missing the kmenu button from the panel
in Intrepid KDE 4.2, but as soon as I can figure out how to get to
System Settings, I will resume this project. It sounds a little like
Hardy by the System Settings>Advance tab instructin. I hope it is that
way in Intrepid. Thanks again.

Steven

Steven Vollom 03-05-2009 05:40 AM

Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

Dear Johnney O,

Do you know where the Desktop images are located? I had the most
beautiful desktop. Now, after removing .kde, I have a blue screen, and
I can't find my way back to the choices for background. I hope this
isn't a bother.

Steven