Old 03-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Jonas Norlander

Default Clicking on plasmoid Desktop Folders opens Kaffeine

2009/3/5 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> Dear Johnney O,
>
> Do you know where the Desktop images are located? *I had the most
> beautiful desktop. *Now, after removing .kde, I have a blue screen, and
> I can't find my way back to the choices for background. *I hope this
> isn't a bother.
>
> Steven

Your personal KDE wallpapers are located at ~/.kde/share/wallpapers
and the system wide at /usr/share/wallpapers

/ Jonas

Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings Steven.

torsdag den 5. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> > You could also open System Settings, choose the Advanced tab, and
> > then File Associations.
> > Unfold the inode node, and select the directory sub node.
> > On the right you can then see what programs are set up to handle
> > directories.
> > The program at the top of the list is the one that is used when
> > you click directory icons (folders) to open them. The other
> > programs are the ones that are present in the directories' right
> > click pop up menu, under the "Open with" sub menu.
>
> I am laughing so hard I have tears. I am not sure if you are just
> so smart that I cannot relate, or playing with me, [...]

I'm not playing with you Steven. I'm trying to help you )

> I can't do that right now. I am missing the kmenu button from the
> panel in Intrepid KDE 4.2, but as soon as I can figure out how to
> get to System Settings, I will resume this project. It sounds a
> little like Hardy by the System Settings>Advance tab instructin. I
> hope it is that way in Intrepid.

I don't know Intrepid (8.10). My KDE 4.2 knowledge comes from alpha 5
of the upcomming Jaunty (9.04).
I assume KDE 4.2 is the same on both 8.10 and 9.02.

My production system is Gutsy (7.10).
The system settings in 7.10 and 9.04 are _very_ much alike, so I
assume that is also the case with 8.10 and 9.04.

Best regards

Johnny )

Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Steven Vollom

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/3/5 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
>
>> Dear Johnney O,
>>
>> Do you know where the Desktop images are located? I had the most
>> beautiful desktop. Now, after removing .kde, I have a blue screen, and
>> I can't find my way back to the choices for background. I hope this
>> isn't a bother.
>>
>> Steven
>>

> Your personal KDE wallpapers are located at ~/.kde/share/wallpapers
> and the system wide at /usr/share/wallpapers
>
> / Jonas

Dear Jonas,

The one at /usr/share/wallpapers is the regular KDE 4.2 wallpaper. ~/
.kde/share/wallpapers does not exist in my OS. The one I used for my
desktop was a part of the Intrepid Desktop effects, I believe. There
must have been 20 to choose from. The one I like is incredible. I must
find it again. I don't show an email address for you, and I am sure the
file is too large for the List, so I can't show it to you. If you can
get an email address to me somehow, I will send you a picture of my
desktop just prior to removal of .kde/. I liked it so much, I sent
screen images to my friends. It is incredible artwork, obviously done
on a computer.

By the way, I am using Thunderbird for my email because Kmail is broken,
and I don't have a solution for that problem. In Kmail, a box precedes
my response to an email that contains the return address to the list and
the return address to the sender. When I need to respond off-list due
to a screen print, which is too large, or a response to issues off
topic, I simply right-click on the user's email address and select send
to that address. It is a great feature, if it is not on Thunderbird.
This was the first time I needed it and it wasn't there. I suppose you
may not want private emails too. Either way, it should be a wish list
item for Thunderbird.

Steven

Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Steven Vollom

> I'm not playing with you Steven. I'm trying to help you )

I hope I did not offend you. Learning computer talk is kind of like
learning a new language. To an inexperienced person, it sounded kind of
like "if you put the whosits in the whachamacallit then the doodlewidget
affects the whatsit. I am so stupid still that some of the guys play
with my inexperience and make jokes. I sure didn't mean to offend. I
am for sure taking it serious right now.

I got as far as to the directory. It has two tabs General and
Embedding. I don't see any option for sub node.

I see the list you are talking about, at the top is Kaffeine then
Dolphin, Konqueror, Dolphin again then Open Folder. I am guessing that
Open Folder should be at the top. I will try that and see what
happens. If it doesn't improve things, I will try Dolphin, my next
logical choice, and it is probably Konqueror that I should raise to the
top, but I have to try something. You, my friend are amazing. How you
could ever find this, let alone understand what you are doing is beyond
me. You guys are amazing. It is fun just to work near you. Thanks.
While there, I changed the order to Open Folder, Dolphin, Konqueror,
Kaffeine, Dolphin and apply. Hope I didn't screw things up.

>> You are one of those doing the genius part aren't you. I am absolutely overwhelmed. If you are a part of development, I love Intrepid. It has a few problems but is a big move forward. I am anxious to see 9.02, but not knowlegable enough to do so yet. Thanks much.

Steven

Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings Steven.

torsdag den 5. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> > I'm not playing with you Steven. I'm trying to help you )
>
> I hope I did not offend you. Learning computer talk is kind of
> like learning a new language. To an inexperienced person, it
> sounded kind of like "if you put the whosits in the whachamacallit
> then the doodlewidget affects the whatsit. I am so stupid still
> that some of the guys play with my inexperience and make jokes. I
> sure didn't mean to offend. I am for sure taking it serious right
> now.

We were all new with computer stuff once. Don't worry about it. You'll
learn )

> I got as far as to the directory. It has two tabs General and
> Embedding. I don't see any option for sub node.

The sub node stuff is the tree structure at the left.

"Sub node" is a term for "a node inside an other node".

When you first get to the file association dialog, I presume you have
only one list of nodes at the left side, all with a small "+" to
their left.

When you click the "+", you "unfold" that node so you can see
what "sub nodes" it contains.

> I see the list you are talking about, at the top is Kaffeine then
> Dolphin, Konqueror, Dolphin again then Open Folder. I am guessing
> that Open Folder should be at the top.

That would be my first guess too.

> I will try that and see what happens. If it doesn't improve things,
> I will try Dolphin,

That would be my second guess, because in the list on my kubuntu 9.04
computer I have only Dolphin and Konqueror, with Dolphin at the top.

> my next logical choice, and it is probably Konqueror that I should
> raise to the top,

Which would be my third guess.

> I changed the order to Open Folder, Dolphin, Konqueror, Kaffeine,
> Dolphin and apply. Hope I didn't screw things up.

Looks like a logical program order to me.

> >> You are one of those doing the genius part aren't you. I am
> >> absolutely overwhelmed. If you are a part of development, I
> >> love Intrepid. It has a few problems but is a big move forward.
> >> I am anxious to see 9.02, but not knowlegable enough to do so
> >> yet. Thanks much.

I'm not a developer on the KDE or kubuntu. I have just used KDE since
the KDE 2 days, so I have an idea where to look for some things.

Best regards

Johnny )

Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings Steven.

torsdag den 5. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> Do you know where the Desktop images are located?

Jonas kindly answered that one.

> Now, after removing .kde, I have a blue screen,

Which doesn't surprise me.

/home/steven/.kde/ is the folder where KDE keeps all settings for
your user "Steven".

If you moved it to the trash bin, and haven't emptied trash yet, I
suggest you restore the .kde folder from the trash bin.

Otherwise you will have to find the image wherever you found it for
starters, and set it as your wallpaper again.

> and I can't find my way back to the choices for background. I hope
> this isn't a bother.

Click the desktop cashew and choose Appearance Settings.

Best regards

Johnny )

Old 03-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Steven Vollom

Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> Greetings Steven.
>
> torsdag den 5. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
>
>> Do you know where the Desktop images are located?
>>

> Jonas kindly answered that one.
>

>> Now, after removing .kde, I have a blue screen,
>>

> Which doesn't surprise me.
>
> /home/steven/.kde/ is the folder where KDE keeps all settings for
> your user "Steven".
>
> If you moved it to the trash bin, and haven't emptied trash yet, I
> suggest you restore the .kde folder from the trash bin.
>
> Otherwise you will have to find the image wherever you found it for
> starters, and set it as your wallpaper again.
>

>> and I can't find my way back to the choices for background. I hope
>> this isn't a bother.
>>

> Click the desktop cashew and choose Appearance Settings.
>
> Best regards
>
> Johnny )

I found the location, and the list is longer than I remembered, but
unfortunately the one I want is no longer an option. I am very
disappointed, I just loved it. If I had known, I would have figured a
way to save it. Is there an archive for such things. I am a
fine-artist my whole life. When something is beautiful to me, I really
like it. This was fabulous artwork. I loved looking at the 4 or 5 days
I had it.

Johnny, I just lost the home icon on the panel. Are these bugs that the
developers would want to know about? Things just disappear without warning.

Earlier, I was watching a movie on the computer. I looked away for a
moment; when I looked back there was print on the screen I wanted to
read, so I put the mouse on the progress button to drag it back a bit
and see what I missed. When I did that, the movie disappeared. I still
could hear the audio, but the video was gone. When I removed the DVD
from the DVDRW, the audio stopped, but I don't know if Dragon Player is
still connected or not. Haven't tried another movie yet. These
disappearing acts may be related and not plasmoric. (kind of a nice
sounding word) I miss the 'Home' icon. It was very useful. I like it
a lot and would use it a lot.

Steven

Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Steven Vollom

Johnny,

This may not relate to the disappearing problem we have been talking
about, but I downloaded about 5gb of data using a Ktorrent. Uploading
the same data was only around 15 to 20%. I just took a look because I
was interested in seeing the progress to know when to cancel the
uploads, and all of them were missing too. Just disappeared.

Additionally when I was having problems with the Folder plasmoid
earlier, I put a folder in the Folder plasmoid. I had a folder named
Code that held the last four years collection of code fixes. I have
desparately been trying to get my new computer stabilized so I could
back up data like that. I am too late. When that problem happened, the
Code folder came up empty. It was my only loss from the 10 folders that
were in that plasmoid. So in my opinion there is more going on here
than something pointing to data, I lost the data, at least for now. I
am still trying to find it. It is a big loss and my own fault completely.

Steven

Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings Steven.

torsdag den 5. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> Johnny, I just lost the home icon on the panel. Are these bugs
> that the developers would want to know about? Things just
> disappear without warning.

If you removed the .kde folder, as you stated in an earlier message, I
would expect weird things to happen, and they would be "self
inflicted".

But if one is somewhat sure that seemingly buggy behaviour is not ones
own fault then yes, developers want to know, so they can correct the
errors.

> [Other problems not related to the message subject]

Steven, a friendly piece of advise:
You should make an entirely new message for each individual problem.

It makes sense in threaded mail clients, and makes it easier to track
for those who want to help you, thus maximising your chances for
answers. Many people don't bother to answer questions that do not
relate to the subject.
It also makes it a lot easier for other people with similar problems
to search the mailing list archives for solutions.

Best regards

Johnny )

Old 03-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Steven Vollom

> If you removed the .kde folder, as you stated in an earlier message, I
> would expect weird things to happen, and they would be "self
> inflicted".

I realize all problems are created by me. Mostly I respond to advice
from the list. Occassionly I try something that comes to my own mind,
if it seems logical to me. But just like when you answer my post and
give me an instruction, I do as you say, otherwise, why ask?

I will try better about posting more than one thing. I didn't realize I
was doing it. I truly am sorry.
> But if one is somewhat sure that seemingly buggy behaviour is not ones
> own fault then yes, developers want to know, so they can correct the
> errors.

Upon recommendation, I saved a copy of .kde then removed .kde to get a
fresh desktop. This was an attempt to remove the problem with Kaffeine
opening when I would click on a folder in the 'Folder View' plasmoid.
The problem with Kaffeine opening when folders in the 'Folder View'
folder were selected was later fixed by the author of this response. it
is explained in a SOLVED posting of this problem.

>> [Other problems not related to the message subject]
>>

> Steven, a friendly piece of advise:
> You should make an entirely new message for each individual problem.

I believe I see what you mean. I was thinking that these problems were
occurring as a result of the Kaffeine opening the 'Folder View' folders
problem. They happened in succession and did not exist until then.
Thank you Johnny.