Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default Q: how to change the size of digital clock in panel?

digital clock is "actually manageable as a freely resizable object"... but
a request for an explanation of how to resize it has gone unanswered for
quite some time now.

I hate to bother developers unnecessarily (and in any case they tend not to
answer questions that they seem to think that users should be able to
figure out; which is probably why I haven't received an answer at
bugs.kde.org), so can anyone here tell me how to change the size of the
clock? I've (obviously) tried everything I can think of, and just become
more and more frustrated at my inability to find the trick.

(In case it isn't obvious, I want to make the clock smaller... it seems to
this user that, like so many things in KDE4, the default is unnecessarily
[and annoyingly] large.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 03-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 2:10:58 pm D. R. Evans wrote:

> I hate to bother developers unnecessarily (and in any case they tend not to
> answer questions that they seem to think that users should be able to
> figure out; which is probably why I haven't received an answer at
> bugs.kde.org), so can anyone here tell me how to change the size of the
> clock? I've (obviously) tried everything I can think of, and just become
> more and more frustrated at my inability to find the trick.
>
> (In case it isn't obvious, I want to make the clock smaller... it seems to
> this user that, like so many things in KDE4, the default is unnecessarily
> [and annoyingly] large.)

What I did was change the font to URW Chancery L which makes it look smaller
and fits the bar better.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 03-04-2009, 01:54 PM
James Tappin

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 15:10:58 -0700
"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

DRE> the digital clock is "actually manageable as a freely resizable
DRE> object"... but a request for an explanation of how to resize it has
DRE> gone unanswered for quite some time now.

In KDE4, most widgets can be run either in the panel or on the desktop.
As far as I can tell, they can be resized on the desktop but not in the
panel (where the well-written ones size themselves to the panel and the
rest just get truncated - e.g. the standard weather widget). [I must
admit I've not tried resizing the whole panel].

Old 03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
"D. R. Evans"

James Tappin said the following at 03/04/2009 07:54 AM :
> On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 15:10:58 -0700
> "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

> DRE> the digital clock is "actually manageable as a freely resizable
> DRE> object"... but a request for an explanation of how to resize it has
> DRE> gone unanswered for quite some time now.
>
> In KDE4, most widgets can be run either in the panel or on the desktop.
> As far as I can tell, they can be resized on the desktop but not in the
> panel (where the well-written ones size themselves to the panel and the
> rest just get truncated - e.g. the standard weather widget). [I must
> admit I've not tried resizing the whole panel].

So I'm trying to understand what you're saying. Are you saying that Aaron
is wrong? (Doesn't seem likely, since he's pretty much the lead developer
on plasma; so it seems more likely that I just don't understand what you're
telling me.)

Basically, I just want nice, simple instructions as to how to change the
size of the clocks in the panel.

They, quite literally, occupy more than 10 times the screen area that is
occupied by the clock on my Windows system (on the same monitor).

The words "subtlety" and "discreet" seem to be alien to KDE4 :-( Everything
is so darned big; I'm trying, one item at a time, to tame them. Not with
tremendous success :-(

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 03-05-2009, 04:52 PM
James Tappin

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:46:48 -0700
"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

DRE> So I'm trying to understand what you're saying. Are you saying that
DRE> Aaron is wrong? (Doesn't seem likely, since he's pretty much the
DRE> lead developer on plasma; so it seems more likely that I just don't
DRE> understand what you're telling me.)

I was conjecturing that perhaps you were at cross purposes and he was
thinking of the clock running on the desktop, which would be easy to
resize.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 PM
"D. R. Evans"

James Tappin said the following at 03/05/2009 10:52 AM :
> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:46:48 -0700
> "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> DRE> So I'm trying to understand what you're saying. Are you saying that
> DRE> Aaron is wrong? (Doesn't seem likely, since he's pretty much the
> DRE> lead developer on plasma; so it seems more likely that I just don't
> DRE> understand what you're telling me.)
> DRE>
>
> I was conjecturing that perhaps you were at cross purposes and he was
> thinking of the clock running on the desktop, which would be easy to
> resize.

Oh, I see. No, I don't think so: the bug report explicitly (twice) said
that I was asking the question anent the panel; also Aaron's response makes
no sense if one tries to read it as referring to the desktop.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR