FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 PM
tom bell
 
Default KDE desktop no longer available?

Now every time I login to Kubuntu I get the Gnome desktop instead of the
Kubuntu I want. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?
At the login I select KDE for a session every time I login.

uname -a
Linux kubuntu 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:28:32 UTC 2009
x86_64 GNU/Linux
kdesudo -v
Qt: 4.4.3
KDE: 4.2.00 (KDE 4.2.0)
KdeSudo: 3.1

Until now I have had a few glitches but they are usually worked out and
not as radical as this.

startkde
KDE seems to be already running on this display.

It is very frustrating to being working in one environment when I should
be in a totally different one. Backgrounds are not the same and not
applicable between the different desktops.
Does anyone have an idea why my system looks and acts like Gnome while
it claims to be KDE???
Why I can set KDE to be the default, but it will login to Gnome every
time???
I am perplexed.
Thank you!

Tom Bell
--
“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” - Juvenal, Roman poet, circa late 1st
and late 2nd centuries.



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default KDE desktop no longer available?

tom bell wrote:
> startkde
> KDE seems to be already running on this display.

Try crashing X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace). Note this will instantly kill all
GUI apps with no warning. Save your work!

*Then*, tell us what startkde gives (I'm assuming you're actually
running it within a GNOME Terminal).

Matt Flaschen

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 AM
tom bell
 
Default KDE desktop no longer available?

On 03/03/2009 kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com scribbled:
> Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:55:29 -0500 From: Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> Subject: Re: KDE desktop no longer available? To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com> Message-ID: <49AC71F1.2040409@gatech.edu> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252 tom bell wrote:
>> > startkde
>> > KDE seems to be already running on this display.
>
> Try crashing X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace). Note this will instantly kill all
> GUI apps with no warning. Save your work!
>
> *Then*, tell us what startkde gives (I'm assuming you're actually
> running it within a GNOME Terminal).
>
> Matt Flaschen
>
No, I am running KDE, I think. That is what I originally loaded on this
computer from the Live CD.
I now have the GUI looking like KDE except for the drives that appear on
the upper left of the screen. The window for "Change Desktop
Background" looks like Gnome not KDE and I don't get access to the KDE
backgrounds.
I don't like to cause a reboot with KDE since it causes my sound to go
in-and-out and I have to keep rebooting until I get sound back.
I at least now have KDE 4.2.0 working and have altered the appearance
enough that it looks like KDE, except for the drives appearing on my
desktop. Menu is still good and all the apps seem to work fine.
Since I patched my background it is exceptable.
I just hope someone finds out what is going on with the switcheroo,
since it starts with the opening logon screen and therefore is not a KDE
problem apparently.

Thank you!
Tom bell

--
“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” - Juvenal, Roman poet, circa late 1st
and late 2nd centuries.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Bas Roufs
 
Default KDE desktop no longer available?

Hello Tom

In a bit more than 1 year of Kubuntu Linux practice experience, I have
built up the following 'routine' when dealing with strange, not
obvious problems:

1. Closing down and restarting the package that causes a problem.
2. Shutting down and restarting the PC.
3. Carefully examining the package until I find some solution.
4. Uninstalling and reinstalling a certain package.
5. Asking for advice in a forum like this one and try out the replies coming in.
6. Accepting a certain problem until I find a solution in a later
stage - somehow....
7. Carrying out a fresh 'install from scratch' of a recently issued
version of Kubuntu.
8. Continuing to look for other approaches in order to solve still
persisting problems.

With the first 4 steps, I usually 'solve' about 90% of the problems.
Another 5% of the problems gets solved thanks to advices via this and
other forums - step 5.* The last 5% is being covered by the steps 6, 7
and 8 :-).....

I hope this approach is useful for you.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.


--
===============
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT *Utrecht
M. +31.6.446.835.10
T. +31.30.785.20.40
BasRoufs@gmail.com
===============

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Ignazio Palmisano
 
Default KDE desktop no longer available?

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Tom
>
> In a bit more than 1 year of Kubuntu Linux practice experience, I have
> built up the following 'routine' when dealing with strange, not
> obvious problems:
>
> 1. Closing down and restarting the package that causes a problem.
> 2. Shutting down and restarting the PC.
> 3. Carefully examining the package until I find some solution.
> 4. Uninstalling and reinstalling a certain package.

I would check the configuration files of the package as well. Maybe
before uninstalling, since the configuration files are not always
replaced with reinstall.
2c,
I.

> 5. Asking for advice in a forum like this one and try out the replies coming in.
> 6. Accepting a certain problem until I find a solution in a later
> stage - somehow....
> 7. Carrying out a fresh 'install from scratch' of a recently issued
> version of Kubuntu.
> 8. Continuing to look for other approaches in order to solve still
> persisting problems.
>
> With the first 4 steps, I usually 'solve' about 90% of the problems.
> Another 5% of the problems gets solved thanks to advices via this and
> other forums - step 5. The last 5% is being covered by the steps 6, 7
> and 8 :-).....
>
> I hope this approach is useful for you.
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.
>
>
> --
> ===============
> Viaconsensus
> Bas G. Roufs M.A.
> Van 't Hoffstraat 1
> NL-3514 VT Utrecht
> M. +31.6.446.835.10
> T. +31.30.785.20.40
> BasRoufs@gmail.com
> ===============
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Bas Roufs
 
Default KDE desktop no longer available?

Hello Ignazio


>> 4. Uninstalling and reinstalling a certain package.
>
> I would check the configuration files of the package as well.

This sounds useful. Can you explain a bit more how?

Thx.

Bas.



--
===============
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
M. +31.6.446.835.10
T. +31.30.785.20.40
BasRoufs@gmail.com
===============

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Ignazio Palmisano
 
Default KDE desktop no longer available?

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Ignazio
>
>
>>> 4. Uninstalling and reinstalling a certain package.
>> I would check the configuration files of the package as well.
>
> This sounds useful. Can you explain a bit more how?

I'm not too good at tinkering with configurations, however I've read
(on this list, in the past) that it's often the case that your
configuration files (the ones in /home/user for example) can sometimes
stick around between reinstall or between versions (KDE being a good
example - I never experienced it first hand but for many people removing
the .kde folder in their home fixed some KDE quirks without
reinstalling). In order to see which configuration files a package has,
I'd check the list of installed files for the package and look for
stuff in /home and with a name ending in .conf.
HTH,
I.

>
> Thx.
>
> Bas.
>
>
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:28 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org