-   -   Inserting Images in KMail (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/255875-inserting-images-kmail.html)

Mark Greenwood 03-02-2009 09:40 PM

Inserting Images in KMail

OK, I think I know the answer to this already, and I think it's that KMail doesn't do HTML very well.. but just in case here goes.

I want to insert an image into a mail so it appears inline, not as an attachment (like I can do in Evolution, Thunderbird, blimey even Outlook Express does that....) but KMail seems to only want to insert images as attachments, even though it's happy to display inline images in received messages. Is there something I'm missing, can I actually do this? I fear not, because the KMail developers seem to suffer from HTML-o-phobia if the mail archives are anything to go on :)

Mark

Pastor JW 03-02-2009 11:32 PM

Inserting Images in KMail

On Monday 02 March 2009 2:40:42 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> I fear not, because the KMail developers seem to suffer from HTML-o-phobia
> if the mail archives are anything to go on :)

Ones who fear seem always try to bully people into their own foolishness by
labeling not doing it a "phobia" of some kind closely followed by accusatory
rants crying "intolerance" thereby showing the world just how intolerant they
themselves truly are.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Alvin 03-03-2009 07:28 AM

Inserting Images in KMail

On Monday 02 March 2009 23:40:42 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> OK, I think I know the answer to this already, and I think it's that KMail
> doesn't do HTML very well.. but just in case here goes.
>
> I want to insert an image into a mail so it appears inline, not as an
> attachment (like I can do in Evolution, Thunderbird, blimey even Outlook
> Express does that....) but KMail seems to only want to insert images as
> attachments, even though it's happy to display inline images in received
> messages. Is there something I'm missing, can I actually do this? I fear
> not, because the KMail developers seem to suffer from HTML-o-phobia if the
> mail archives are anything to go on :)

You don't need HTML for that. (HTML mail is evil)

Just right-click your attachment, choose properties and check 'Suggest
automatic display'.

Bruce Marshall 03-03-2009 02:45 PM

Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Alvin wrote:
> > I want to insert an image into a mail so it appears inline, not as an
> > attachment (like I can do in Evolution, Thunderbird, blimey even Outlook
> > Express does that....) but KMail seems to only want to insert images as
> > attachments, even though it's happy to display inline images in received
> > messages. Is there something I'm missing, can I actually do this? I fear
> > not, because the KMail developers seem to suffer from HTML-o-phobia if
> > the mail archives are anything to go on :)
>
> You don't need HTML for that. (HTML mail is evil)
>
> Just right-click your attachment, choose properties and check 'Suggest
> automatic display'.

Thanks for the tip but just what is that supposed to do? (or how do you make
it work?)

I selected the option, but nothing else seems to be happening...

Alvin 03-03-2009 02:54 PM

Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 16:45:05 Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Alvin wrote:
> > > I want to insert an image into a mail so it appears inline, not as an
> > > attachment (like I can do in Evolution, Thunderbird, blimey even
> > > Outlook Express does that....) but KMail seems to only want to insert
> > > images as attachments, even though it's happy to display inline images
> > > in received messages. Is there something I'm missing, can I actually do
> > > this? I fear not, because the KMail developers seem to suffer from
> > > HTML-o-phobia if the mail archives are anything to go on :)
> >
> > You don't need HTML for that. (HTML mail is evil)
> >
> > Just right-click your attachment, choose properties and check 'Suggest
> > automatic display'.
>
> Thanks for the tip but just what is that supposed to do? (or how do you
> make it work?)
>
> I selected the option, but nothing else seems to be happening...

It will suggest automatic display to the mail client of the receiver. You are
not able to see it yourself. If you want to 'test' the result, just send a
mail to yourself and you'll see the result.

Glenn R Williams 03-03-2009 02:54 PM

Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 10:45:05 Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Alvin wrote:

> > > I want to insert an image into a mail so it appears inline, not as an

> > > attachment (like I can do in Evolution, Thunderbird, blimey even

> > > Outlook Express does that....) but KMail seems to only want to insert

> > > images as attachments, even though it's happy to display inline images

> > > in received messages. Is there something I'm missing, can I actually do

> > > this? I fear not, because the KMail developers seem to suffer from

> > > HTML-o-phobia if the mail archives are anything to go on :)

> > You don't need HTML for that. (HTML mail is evil)

> > Just right-click your attachment, choose properties and check 'Suggest

> > automatic display'.

> Thanks for the tip but just what is that supposed to do? (or how do you

> make it work?)

> I selected the option, but nothing else seems to be happening...

This is just a hint for the recipient's email program. It looks the same from your end, but when the receiver opens the email, his or her email client can choose to display it inline. Kmail, for instance, does that...

HTH,

Glenn

Bruce Marshall 03-03-2009 03:28 PM

Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Alvin wrote:
> > I selected the option, but nothing else seems to be happening...
>
> It will suggest automatic display to the mail client of the receiver. You
> are not able to see it yourself. If you want to 'test' the result, just
> send a mail to yourself and you'll see the result.

I sent a mail to myself but saw no difference.... Oh well.....

Nigel Henry 03-03-2009 04:05 PM

Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 17:28, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Alvin wrote:
> > > I selected the option, but nothing else seems to be happening...
> >
> > It will suggest automatic display to the mail client of the receiver. You
> > are not able to see it yourself. If you want to 'test' the result, just
> > send a mail to yourself and you'll see the result.
>
> I sent a mail to myself but saw no difference.... Oh well.....

Out of interest, I've just sent an email to myself using the "suggest
automatic display" , with an attached text file, and lo, and behold, it
works. I'd always wondered how that was done, and now I know.

Thanks to whoever suggested that, but more importantly, it does confirm that
it works with kmail. Don't know about T-bird, as I don't use it.

I'll have to try a small image file attached, and see how that goes.

Nigel.

Bruce Marshall 03-03-2009 04:26 PM

Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I sent a mail to myself but saw no difference.... * Oh well.....
>
> Out of interest, I've just sent an email to myself using the "suggest
> automatic display" , with an attached text file, and lo, and behold, it
> works. I'd always wondered how that was done, and now I know.

I just tried it with a text file as an attachment.

All it did was to display the text in a box (automatically, yes) as opposed to
just showing it as an attachment at the bottom. But it was still placed at the
end of the email.

But the OP wanted to insert pictures *within* pieces of text of an email...
such as explanations of each picture. Doesn't seem like that is possible.

Art Alexion 03-03-2009 06:08 PM

Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 12:26:43 pm Bruce Marshall wrote:
> But the OP wanted to insert pictures within pieces of text of an email... *
> such as explanations of each picture. * Doesn't seem like that is possible.

Prior versions of kmail could not create html mail with inline images nor
tables. The support was supposed to be included with KDE 4. I do not know
whether it was implemented in the latest version.