FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Art Alexion wrote:
> Prior versions of kmail could not create html mail with inline images nor
> tables. *The support was supposed to be included with KDE 4. *I do not know
> whether it was implemented in the latest version.

Ok, I'm using 1.110 of Kmail. Will go google to find out the status.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 08:28:57 Alvin wrote:

> On Monday 02 March 2009 23:40:42 Mark Greenwood wrote:

> > OK, I think I know the answer to this already, and I think it's that KMail

> > doesn't do HTML very well.. but just in case here goes.

> >

> > I want to insert an image into a mail so it appears inline, not as an

> > attachment (like I can do in Evolution, Thunderbird, blimey even Outlook

> > Express does that....) but KMail seems to only want to insert images as

> > attachments, even though it's happy to display inline images in received

> > messages. Is there something I'm missing, can I actually do this? I fear

> > not, because the KMail developers seem to suffer from HTML-o-phobia if the

> > mail archives are anything to go on

>

> You don't need HTML for that. (HTML mail is evil)



In what way is HTML mail "evil"? That's the attitude the KMail developers take. HTML mail is very useful.



I'll just have to use Thunderbird or Evolution instead.. but it's not a very nice resolution to the problem is it? I'll have to dispense with a nice, integrated mail client and use something else just because of someone's prejudice against technology. I mean, come on, grow up.



>

> Just right-click your attachment, choose properties and check 'Suggest

> automatic display'.

>



Yeah, done that, but my friend's email client still just showed it as an attachment.



Mark
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Inserting Images in KMail

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 12:26 -0500, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > I sent a mail to myself but saw no difference.... Oh well.....
> >
> > Out of interest, I've just sent an email to myself using the "suggest
> > automatic display" , with an attached text file, and lo, and behold, it
> > works. I'd always wondered how that was done, and now I know.
>
>
> I just tried it with a text file as an attachment.
>
> All it did was to display the text in a box (automatically, yes) as opposed to
> just showing it as an attachment at the bottom. But it was still placed at the
> end of the email.
>
> But the OP wanted to insert pictures *within* pieces of text of an email...
> such as explanations of each picture. Doesn't seem like that is possible.

I guess that proves the existence of God and "Blind Justice". Remember
Alice's Restaurant?

"Obie came to the realization that it was a typical case of American
blind justice, and there wasn't nothing he could do about it, and the
judge wasn't going to look at the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour
glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back
of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against
us."

Arlo knew in the 70's that HTML mail was doomed. <cackles> Ric

--

My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > Prior versions of kmail could not create html mail with inline images nor
> > tables. *The support was supposed to be included with KDE 4. *I do not
> > know whether it was implemented in the latest version.
>
> Ok, I'm using 1.110 of Kmail. * Will go google to find out the status.


It appears this feechur will be in KDE 4.3. Missed the deadline for 4.2


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 19:30:53 Ric Moore wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 12:26 -0500, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> > On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > > I sent a mail to myself but saw no difference.... Oh well.....

> > >

> > > Out of interest, I've just sent an email to myself using the "suggest

> > > automatic display" , with an attached text file, and lo, and behold, it

> > > works. I'd always wondered how that was done, and now I know.

> >

> >

> > I just tried it with a text file as an attachment.

> >

> > All it did was to display the text in a box (automatically, yes) as opposed to

> > just showing it as an attachment at the bottom. But it was still placed at the

> > end of the email.

> >

> > But the OP wanted to insert pictures *within* pieces of text of an email...

> > such as explanations of each picture. Doesn't seem like that is possible.

>

> I guess that proves the existence of God and "Blind Justice". Remember

> Alice's Restaurant?

>

> "Obie came to the realization that it was a typical case of American

> blind justice, and there wasn't nothing he could do about it, and the

> judge wasn't going to look at the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour

> glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back

> of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against

> us."

>

> Arlo knew in the 70's that HTML mail was doomed. <cackles> Ric



ROFL... someone's gonna have to explain to me exactly what is wrong with HTML... I mean, the web kind of caught on and that's more or less based on it...



As it happens, my freind sent me a mail with a funny picture and I wanted to reply in kind, but KMail wouldn't let me. Nothing as complicated as circles and arrows



Mark





>

> --

>

> My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:

> "There are two Great Sins in the world...

> ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.

> Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.

> Linux user# 44256

> https://nuoar.dev.java.net/

> Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

>

>



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Ric Moore wrote:
> > But the OP wanted to insert pictures within pieces of text of an email...
> > * such as explanations of each picture. * Doesn't seem like that is
> > possible.
>
> I guess that proves the existence of God and "Blind Justice". Remember
> Alice's Restaurant?

Ok SA, *you* explain to my wife why she can't do it when all the email she
gets has embedded pictures....

<bmarsh walks away and watches for fireworks on the horizon... <g> >



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Art Alexion
 
Default Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 02:21:06 pm Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Art Alexion wrote:
> > Prior versions of kmail could not create html mail with inline images nor
> > tables. *The support was supposed to be included with KDE 4. *I do not
> > know whether it was implemented in the latest version.
>
> Ok, I'm using 1.110 of Kmail. Will go google to find out the status.

I can save you the trouble. No.
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Alvin
 
Default Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 20:24:03 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 March 2009 08:28:57 Alvin wrote:
> > On Monday 02 March 2009 23:40:42 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > > OK, I think I know the answer to this already, and I think it's that
> > > KMail doesn't do HTML very well.. but just in case here goes.
> > >
> > > I want to insert an image into a mail so it appears inline, not as an
> > > attachment (like I can do in Evolution, Thunderbird, blimey even
> > > Outlook Express does that....) but KMail seems to only want to insert
> > > images as attachments, even though it's happy to display inline images
> > > in received messages. Is there something I'm missing, can I actually do
> > > this? I fear not, because the KMail developers seem to suffer from
> > > HTML-o-phobia if the mail archives are anything to go on
> >
> > You don't need HTML for that. (HTML mail is evil)
>
> In what way is HTML mail "evil"? That's the attitude the KMail developers
> take. HTML mail is very useful.

There might be a few uses for it, I think. I don't use it and I write a lot of
mail. In most cases it just enlarges the mail. It is considered bad manners,
and certainly on a mailing list. My IMAP mailbox is only 20MB (yes, I'm paying
for that). Imagine a person who posts a lot of questions each day while using
HTML mail. I would have to unsubscribe from the list.

> I'll just have to use Thunderbird or Evolution instead.. but it's not a
> very nice resolution to the problem is it? I'll have to dispense with a
> nice, integrated mail client and use something else just because of
> someone's prejudice against technology. I mean, come on, grow up.
>
> > Just right-click your attachment, choose properties and check 'Suggest
> > automatic display'.
>
> Yeah, done that, but my friend's email client still just showed it as an
> attachment.

Ah, maybe he doesn't want to display attachments automatically. Hence the
'suggestion'. Having control about how you want to view your mail is a good
thing. What mail client is that?

--
Alvin

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 21:07:43 Alvin wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 March 2009 20:24:03 Mark Greenwood wrote:

> > On Tuesday 03 March 2009 08:28:57 Alvin wrote:

> > > On Monday 02 March 2009 23:40:42 Mark Greenwood wrote:

> > > > OK, I think I know the answer to this already, and I think it's that

> > > > KMail doesn't do HTML very well.. but just in case here goes.

> > > >

> > > > I want to insert an image into a mail so it appears inline, not as an

> > > > attachment (like I can do in Evolution, Thunderbird, blimey even

> > > > Outlook Express does that....) but KMail seems to only want to insert

> > > > images as attachments, even though it's happy to display inline images

> > > > in received messages. Is there something I'm missing, can I actually do

> > > > this? I fear not, because the KMail developers seem to suffer from

> > > > HTML-o-phobia if the mail archives are anything to go on

> > >

> > > You don't need HTML for that. (HTML mail is evil)

> >

> > In what way is HTML mail "evil"? That's the attitude the KMail developers

> > take. HTML mail is very useful.

>

> There might be a few uses for it, I think. I don't use it and I write a lot of

> mail. In most cases it just enlarges the mail. It is considered bad manners,

> and certainly on a mailing list. My IMAP mailbox is only 20MB (yes, I'm paying

> for that). Imagine a person who posts a lot of questions each day while using

> HTML mail. I would have to unsubscribe from the list.



OK I don't understand. You don't get 20MB of mail in a day, surely? Are you saying you leave all your mail on the server all the time? Having my mail locally is utterly crucial, so I can work offline if I'm on site and there's no net access. Why would you choose to leave it on the server? I honestly didn't know people still did that.



>

> > I'll just have to use Thunderbird or Evolution instead.. but it's not a

> > very nice resolution to the problem is it? I'll have to dispense with a

> > nice, integrated mail client and use something else just because of

> > someone's prejudice against technology. I mean, come on, grow up.

> >

> > > Just right-click your attachment, choose properties and check 'Suggest

> > > automatic display'.

> >

> > Yeah, done that, but my friend's email client still just showed it as an

> > attachment.

>

> Ah, maybe he doesn't want to display attachments automatically. Hence the

> 'suggestion'. Having control about how you want to view your mail is a good

> thing.



Well that's a matter of opinion If I send someone a mail I've spent time to format carefully, I want to know that they can see my careful formatting.



> What mail client is that?



Not sure, whatever she uses at work. She's a graphic designer, so Apple Mail, probably



>

> --

> Alvin

>



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Inserting Images in KMail

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Alvin wrote:
> > Yeah, done that, but my friend's email client still just showed it as an
> > attachment.
>
> Ah, maybe he doesn't want to display attachments automatically. Hence the
> 'suggestion'. Having control about how you want to view your mail is a good
> thing. What mail client is that?

Kmail has long had the ability to show attachments 'inline', but in the case
of images in an email created by Kmail, the images always show up at the end
of the email, not embedded.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:37 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org