Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Hein van Rensburg

Default AMD Computers Boot with Interprid and Hardy

I have seen a few mails saying AMD computers cannot boot interprid and hardy.
This problem is seen with AMD and Nvidia chipsets and 32 and 64 bit chipsets
and software.

You have to add a argument in the boot line and it should work.
There are several kernel posts about this problem.

When running boot cd, after choosing language, press F6 and add "pci=nomsi" to
boot line after "quiet splash". Then boot. ( press enter)

It worked on all 3 of my AMD systems and I could install hardy and interprid.

Hopes it helps a few people.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Steven Vollom

Hein van Rensburg wrote:

> When running boot cd, after choosing language, press F6 and add "pci=nomsi" to
> boot line after "quiet splash". Then boot. ( press enter)
>
> It worked on all 3 of my AMD systems and I could install hardy and interprid.
>
> Hopes it helps a few people.

Dear Hein,

I am getting very fond of Intrepid. I have only been back on Hardy a
couple of times since the Intrepid install. I am used to having to
solve problems. I may just continue in Intrepid and see if I can be of
use to the developers.

After I get some sleep, I plan on installing the new video card. I have
to disable on board video to do so, but I want to try. I just posted
sound problems. I am interested in what the Intrepid and KDE 4.2
problems are in 64bit. I just love my new computer. I can't thank you
enough for the help. Multimedia is perhaps my main interest, and that
is where the new problems seem to centralize. Haven't been to bed yet
and it is 8 in the morning.

Steven

Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Steven Vollom wrote:
I just love my new computer. I can't thank you
> enough for the help. Multimedia is perhaps my main interest, and that
> is where the new problems seem to centralize. Haven't been to bed yet
> and it is 8 in the morning.

For multiumedia related things, you might like to have a look at Ubuntu
Studio
http://ubuntustudio.org/home

You can also install it into an existing intrepid.

Eberhard

Old 03-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Mark Halegua

On Monday 02 March 2009 06:25:02 am Hein van Rensburg wrote:
> I have seen a few mails saying AMD computers cannot boot interprid and
> hardy. This problem is seen with AMD and Nvidia chipsets and 32 and 64 bit
> chipsets and software.
>
> You have to add a argument in the boot line and it should work.
> There are several kernel posts about this problem.
>
> When running boot cd, after choosing language, press F6 and add "pci=nomsi"
> to boot line after "quiet splash". Then boot. ( press enter)
>
> It worked on all 3 of my AMD systems and I could install hardy and
> interprid.
>
> Hopes it helps a few people.

I have an AMD Turion X2 64bit system and an AMD 32 Athlon single core (ready
for upgrade when I find the money) and both have hardy installed. I did have
a problem installing hardy on the Athlon system, and installed an earlier
version of Kubuntu and then systematically upgraded. The Turion X2 64bit
system installed hardy no problem.

Mark

Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Mark Halegua wrote:
> On Monday 02 March 2009 06:25:02 am Hein van Rensburg wrote:
>> I have seen a few mails saying AMD computers cannot boot interprid and
>> hardy. This problem is seen with AMD and Nvidia chipsets and 32 and 64 bit
>> chipsets and software.
>>

> I have an AMD Turion X2 64bit system and an AMD 32 Athlon single core (ready
> for upgrade when I find the money) and both have hardy installed. I did have
> a problem installing hardy on the Athlon system, and installed an earlier
> version of Kubuntu and then systematically upgraded. The Turion X2 64bit
> system installed hardy no problem.
>
> Mark

As Hein said implicitly, this problem has nothing to do with AMD CPUs.

It is just that the chipsets which cause trouble, happen to have
motherboards with sockets for AMD CPUs. ;-)

So having an AMD in no way implies trouble. Just when your chipset is
new and from Nvidia you could possibly....

Eberhard

Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Steven Vollom

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Mark Halegua wrote:
>
>> On Monday 02 March 2009 06:25:02 am Hein van Rensburg wrote:
>>
>>> I have seen a few mails saying AMD computers cannot boot interprid and
>>> hardy. This problem is seen with AMD and Nvidia chipsets and 32 and 64 bit
>>> chipsets and software.
>>>

>> I have an AMD Turion X2 64bit system and an AMD 32 Athlon single core (ready
>> for upgrade when I find the money) and both have hardy installed. I did have
>> a problem installing hardy on the Athlon system, and installed an earlier
>> version of Kubuntu and then systematically upgraded. The Turion X2 64bit
>> system installed hardy no problem.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> As Hein said implicitly, this problem has nothing to do with AMD CPUs.
>
> It is just that the chipsets which cause trouble, happen to have
> motherboards with sockets for AMD CPUs. ;-)
>
> So having an AMD in no way implies trouble. Just when your chipset is
> new and from Nvidia you could possibly....
>
> Eberhard

I don't know if this information is useful, however, my old computer has
Intrepid and Hardy and both are working reasonably well. The processor
is an Intl Pentium 4 2.3ghz. Hardy is running KDE 3.5.10 and Intrepid
is running 4.2. I haven't been following this thread, so if you are
only considering AMD OS's, this is not very useful.

Steven

Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 08:03 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> Hein van Rensburg wrote:
> >
> > When running boot cd, after choosing language, press F6 and add "pci=nomsi" to
> > boot line after "quiet splash". Then boot. ( press enter)
> >
> > It worked on all 3 of my AMD systems and I could install hardy and interprid.
> >
> > Hopes it helps a few people.
> >

> Dear Hein,
>
> I am getting very fond of Intrepid. I have only been back on Hardy a
> couple of times since the Intrepid install. I am used to having to
> solve problems. I may just continue in Intrepid and see if I can be of
> use to the developers.

What ever happened to Karl? Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 03-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 14:59 -0500, Mark Halegua wrote:
> On Monday 02 March 2009 06:25:02 am Hein van Rensburg wrote:
> > I have seen a few mails saying AMD computers cannot boot interprid and
> > hardy. This problem is seen with AMD and Nvidia chipsets and 32 and 64 bit
> > chipsets and software.
> >
> > You have to add a argument in the boot line and it should work.
> > There are several kernel posts about this problem.
> >
> > When running boot cd, after choosing language, press F6 and add "pci=nomsi"
> > to boot line after "quiet splash". Then boot. ( press enter)
> >
> > It worked on all 3 of my AMD systems and I could install hardy and
> > interprid.
> >
> > Hopes it helps a few people.
>
> I have an AMD Turion X2 64bit system and an AMD 32 Athlon single core (ready
> for upgrade when I find the money) and both have hardy installed. I did have
> a problem installing hardy on the Athlon system, and installed an earlier
> version of Kubuntu and then systematically upgraded. The Turion X2 64bit
> system installed hardy no problem.

Installing in text mode works just fine. Then you update your nvidia
driver, reboot, if all goes well you are up and running. Piece O' cake.
Plus, for whatever reason, it appears to install quicker. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 08:03 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
>> Hein van Rensburg wrote:
>> > When running boot cd, after choosing language, press F6 and add
>> > "pci=nomsi" to boot line after "quiet splash". Then boot. ( press enter)
>> >
>> > It worked on all 3 of my AMD systems and I could install hardy and
>> > interprid.
>> >
>> > Hopes it helps a few people.
>>
>> Dear Hein,
>>
>> I am getting very fond of Intrepid. I have only been back on Hardy a
>> couple of times since the Intrepid install. I am used to having to
>> solve problems. I may just continue in Intrepid and see if I can be of
>> use to the developers.
>
>What ever happened to Karl? Ric

Humm, somehow that name got through my procmail filters. Bit rot?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 03-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Nigel Henry

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 18:44, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 08:03 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > Hein van Rensburg wrote:
> > > When running boot cd, after choosing language, press F6 and add
> > > "pci=nomsi" to boot line after "quiet splash". Then boot. ( press
> > > enter)
> > >
> > > It worked on all 3 of my AMD systems and I could install hardy and
> > > interprid.
> > >
> > > Hopes it helps a few people.
> >
> > Dear Hein,
> >
> > I am getting very fond of Intrepid. I have only been back on Hardy a
> > couple of times since the Intrepid install. I am used to having to
> > solve problems. I may just continue in Intrepid and see if I can be of
> > use to the developers.
>
> What ever happened to Karl? Ric

He's on the Ubuntu list. Mind you he doesn't post as much as he used to.

I've followed Karl since he arrived on the Fedora list. I've tried to help him
from time to time, but then he gave up on Fedora, and has been on the Ubuntu
list since then, and seems to be happy with Ubuntu.

I think when you subscribe to a list, you want questions answered, and also
want to help. Having had your question answered, and problem resolved, you
want to give back to the community. Sometimes you are over enthusiastic, and
try to answer every question posted to the list, even regarding questions
about apps that you have never used, or havn't the faintest idea as to what
they are for.

I'm sure that many of us are guilty of that, and I too, have been a bit too
enthusiastic at times, and have shot myself in the foot, either by not
reading the question correctly, or thinking that I knew more than I did when
trying to answer a question.

Currently I try to help out with sound related problems on various distros,
and have some success helping folks to get their sounds fixed.

Steven V, seems to be doing ok since he got his Asus mobo back from Asus. Karl
L has settled down a bit, and even got a credit from someone else on the
Ubuntu list, where Karl had made a usefull suggestion.

Nigel.