Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Art Alexion

Default Backports 4.2 vs. PPA 4.2

Now that 4.2 is in both the backports and the ppa, which is better to use?

If backports are preferred and one has been using the ppa, is there anything
that needs to be done, other than removing the ppa from sources.list?

I notice that kadressbook in the ppa is version 4.1 which was very buggy even
though kontact is 4.2. is kaddressbook 4.2 available for kubuntu, or is this
only being implemented in mandravia and others? If so, how do I force the
install?

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Alvin

On Sunday 01 March 2009 20:55:41 Art Alexion wrote:
> Now that 4.2 is in both the backports and the ppa, which is better to use?
>
> If backports are preferred and one has been using the ppa, is there
> anything that needs to be done, other than removing the ppa from
> sources.list?

I removed the ppa and did a dist-upgrade. No problems on 5 computers.

> I notice that kadressbook in the ppa is version 4.1 which was very buggy
> even though kontact is 4.2. is kaddressbook 4.2 available for kubuntu, or
> is this only being implemented in mandravia and others? If so, how do I
> force the install?

No idea. The current version in backports is 4:4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid3

Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Jonas Norlander

2009/3/1 Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>:
> Now that 4.2 is in both the backports and the ppa, which is better to use?
>
> If backports are preferred and one has been using the ppa, is there anything
> that needs to be done, other than removing the ppa from sources.list?
>
> I notice that kadressbook in the ppa is version 4.1 which was very buggy even
> though kontact is 4.2. *is kaddressbook 4.2 available for kubuntu, or is this
> only being implemented in mandravia and others? *If so, how do I force the
> install?
>
> Thanks.

Was just looking for a package in the kubuntu-experimental and there
is only 16 packages left there
(https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-experimental/+archive/ppa). It looks
like they have removed all KDE 4.2 packages from the experimental or
is it another PPA you refering to?
When the KDE 4.2 packages was added to backports I had to deactivate
the experimantal PPA as I got a lot of errors.

/ Jonas

Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Clay Weber

On Sunday 01 March 2009 2:55:41 pm Art Alexion wrote:
> Now that 4.2 is in both the backports and the ppa, which is better to use?
>
> If backports are preferred and one has been using the ppa, is there
> anything that needs to be done, other than removing the ppa from
> sources.list?
>
> I notice that kadressbook in the ppa is version 4.1 which was very buggy
> even though kontact is 4.2. is kaddressbook 4.2 available for kubuntu, or
> is this only being implemented in mandravia and others? If so, how do I
> force the install?
>
> Thanks.

The packages from the experimental ppa have (mostly) been moved into
backports so that is the one to use. At this point 4.2 packages really are
backports from Jaunty now. I believe we may use kubuntu-experimental for
testing out Koffice2 packages in the near future.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 03-02-2009, 03:23 PM
P Kapat

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Clay Weber <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 01 March 2009 2:55:41 pm Art Alexion wrote:
>> Now that 4.2 is in both the backports and the ppa, which is better to use?
>>
>> If backports are preferred and one has been using the ppa, is there
>> anything that needs to be done, other than removing the ppa from
>> sources.list?
>>
>> I notice that kadressbook in the ppa is version 4.1 which was very buggy
>> even though kontact is 4.2. *is kaddressbook 4.2 available for kubuntu, or
>> is this only being implemented in mandravia and others? *If so, how do I
>> force the install?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> The packages from the experimental ppa have (mostly) been moved into
> backports so that is the one to use. At this point 4.2 packages really are
> backports from Jaunty now. I believe we may use kubuntu-experimental for
> testing out Koffice2 packages in the near future.

Ah! This is an important information, shouldn't this be posted on
kubuntu.org as updated news?

--
Regards
PK

Old 03-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Art Alexion

On Sunday 01 March 2009 15:44:39 Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/3/1 Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>:
> > Now that 4.2 is in both the backports and the ppa, which is better to
> > use?
> >
> > If backports are preferred and one has been using the ppa, is there
> > anything that needs to be done, other than removing the ppa from
> > sources.list?
> >
> > I notice that kadressbook in the ppa is version 4.1 which was very buggy
> > even though kontact is 4.2. *is kaddressbook 4.2 available for kubuntu,
> > or is this only being implemented in mandravia and others? *If so, how do
> > I force the install?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Was just looking for a package in the kubuntu-experimental and there
> is only 16 packages left there
> (https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-experimental/+archive/ppa). It looks
> like they have removed all KDE 4.2 packages from the experimental or
> is it another PPA you refering to?
> When the KDE 4.2 packages was added to backports I had to deactivate
> the experimantal PPA as I got a lot of errors.

Thanks. That is what I will have to do as it seemed to work for Alvin as
well.