Old 03-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Alan Dacey

Default KDE cashew

> > > What is the "You change between Activities by clicking the cashew
> > > at the
> > > top right of your desktop background, and choose to zoom out."
> > > as I am a newbie what the cashew????
> > >

> yes I am running K 8.04 with original KDE, am I able to upgrade to 8.10
> without
> any loss of data?????????

I assume so, but there is always a small chance of complete failure. If
I remember correctly, you have separate partitions for root and /home,
correct? That will limit some possible failures. Are you still having
that disk space problem? There are a lot of packages to download.
The thing is that 8.10 has KDE 4.1 as the default desktop environment
and it is not as full featured as 4.2. You would have to get 4.2 from a
ppa repository and it is not officially supported. I also had some
networking issues with Intrepid. From what I am seeing from the
pre-released 9.04, these problems are gone. April 23rd (26th?) is when
the real version comes out. Take the time to read up on KDE 4 since it
is different than 3.5, maybe boot from an Intrepid live CD to get used
to it.

Johnny, Ray asked a question on the original thread and since I helped
him before, I answered it. He's running 8.10 with KDE 3.5.10

--
Alan

"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated concept. If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in life and actually grok it."

Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Geetings.

søndag den 1. Marts 2009 kvad Alan Dacey:
> Johnny, Ray asked a question on the original thread and since I
> helped him before, I answered it. He's running 8.10 with KDE
> 3.5.10

I just realise I got Ray and Steven, and their different problems
mixed up.

Ray, everything I have said to you under the subject "Arrangement of
Icons on the panel, Intrepid KDE4.2" is useless to you.
Please ignore, and try not to be confused.

Sorry /

Thanks for the tip Alan.

Best regards

Johnny )

Old 03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Ray Burke

> Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 09:47:32 -0500
> From: GrokIt@ajinfosearch.com
> To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: KDE cashew [was: Arrangement of Icons. . . .]

> > yes I am running K 8.04 with original KDE, am I able to upgrade to 8.10
> > without
> > any loss of data?????????
> >

> I assume so, but there is always a small chance of complete failure. If
> I remember correctly, you have separate partitions for root and /home,
> correct? * YES 3
*That will limit some possible failures. Are you still having
> that disk space problem? No*
There are a lot of packages to download.
> The thing is that 8.10 has KDE 4.1 as the default desktop environment
> and it is not as full featured as 4.2. You would have to get 4.2 from a
> ppa repository and it is not officially supported. I also had some
> networking issues with Intrepid. From what I am seeing from the
> pre-released 9.04, these problems are gone. April 23rd (26th?) is when
> the real version comes out. Take the time to read up on KDE 4 since it
> is different than 3.5, maybe boot from an Intrepid live CD to get used
> to it.
>
> Johnny, Ray asked a question on the original thread and since I helped
> him before, I answered it. He's running 8.10 with KDE 3.5.10
>
> --
> Alan

> See above answers in red!!!!!!!!

ray