Old 12-31-2007, 02:59 AM
Clark McCallum

Default Need Startup Help Kbuntu Tbird?

Hi again Cary,

By passing the front end saves a lot of time. Thunderbird install came up with this...

Configuration file `/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
==> File on system created by you or by a script.
==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
N or O : keep your currently-installed version
D : show the differences between the versions
Z : background this process to examine the situation
The default action is to keep your current version.
*** qt_plugins_3.3rc (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

Have you any suggestions? I will look at Z and see if I get any clarity.

Clark.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:13 AM
cary Bielenberg

Clark McCallum wrote:

[...]

******** Just hit enter & select the default!

Cheers Cary

Old 12-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Derek Broughton

Clark McCallum wrote:

Please don't top-post, it makes it hard to have a conversation
> Hi again Cary,
>
> By passing the front end saves a lot of time. Thunderbird install came up
> with this...
>
> Configuration file `/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
> ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
> ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
> What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
> Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
> N or O : keep your currently-installed version
> D : show the differences between the versions
> Z : background this process to examine the situation
> The default action is to keep your current version.
> *** qt_plugins_3.3rc (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
>
> Have you any suggestions? I will look at Z and see if I get any clarity.

Generally, I would use N for any application I _know_ I have modified
settings for. I use Y for any application I _know_ I haven't modified (and
seriously consider submitting a bug report - in most cases, the file has
been modified by the application itself, and thus _shouldn't_ be marked as
a config file). If I don't know, I use 'D', and take a look. In any case,
if you choose Y, the old file will be kept with a .dkpg-old suffix and, if
you choose N, the new file will be kept with a .dpkg-new suffix; so it's
always possible to change your mind.

If you _do_ choose N, you still need to check the changes, as sometimes your
old config file will not be valid with the new package.
--
derek