Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 AM
Alan Dacey

Default jaunty: zombies after update

Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Is anyone running Jaunty getting zombies after Friday update?
>
> zoolook@melnitz:~$ ps ax | grep defu
> 4408 ? Z 0:00 [nepomukserver] <defunct>
> 4413 ? Z 0:00 [nepomukservices] <defunct>
> 4414 ? Z 0:00 [nepomukservices] <defunct>
> 4415 ? Z 0:00 [nepomukservices] <defunct>
> 4416 ? Z 0:00 [nepomukservices] <defunct>
> 4417 ? Z 0:00 [kopete] <defunct>
> 4419 ? Z 0:00 [yakuake] <defunct>
> 4421 ? Z 0:00 [kmix] <defunct>
> 4425 ? Z 0:00 [kde4] <defunct>
> 4446 ? Z 0:00 [python] <defunct>
> 4450 ? Z 0:00 [python] <defunct>
> 4451 ? Z 0:00 [amarok] <defunct>
> 5424 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep defu

I just get crashes. nepomukservices goes down all the time. I'm going to do a
fresh install of Alpha 5 and see if that changes.
--
Alan

"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated
concept. If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in
life and actually grok it."

Old 03-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 21:56 -0500, Alan Dacey wrote:
> Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Is anyone running Jaunty getting zombies after Friday update?
> I just get crashes. nepomukservices goes down all the time. I'm going to do a
> fresh install of Alpha 5 and see if that changes.
> --
> Alan

Thanks to you guys for doing the beta testing! I used to use Fedora, so
I know what a ride that is and you all are to be commended for going
through the agonies. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Mark Greenwood

On Sunday 01 March 2009 07:36:34 Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 21:56 -0500, Alan Dacey wrote:
> > Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > Is anyone running Jaunty getting zombies after Friday update?
> > I just get crashes. nepomukservices goes down all the time. I'm going to do a
> > fresh install of Alpha 5 and see if that changes.
> > --
> > Alan

Are you using the nvidia driver? There's a big thread over on the nvidia forums about this. It seems to affect anything that runs in the system tray. I've found that starting KDE with an empty session is a workaround, and I've raised a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/335879

Mark

Old 03-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Mark Greenwood

On Sunday 01 March 2009 11:48:41 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Sunday 01 March 2009 07:36:34 Ric Moore wrote:

> > > I just get crashes. nepomukservices goes down all the time. I'm going to do a
> > > fresh install of Alpha 5 and see if that changes.
> > > --
> > > Alan
> >

> Are you using the nvidia driver? There's a big thread over on the nvidia forums about this. It seems to affect anything that runs in the system tray. I've found that starting KDE with an empty session is a workaround, and I've raised a bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/335879
>
> Mark

Actually , on the same subject, does anybody know if it's possible to revert the nvidia driver back to the previous version? On the nvidia forums people are saying this cures the problem, but I don't know how to do this on Kubuntu.

Mark

Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Norberto Bensa

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 01 March 2009 07:36:34 Ric Moore wrote:

>> > I just get crashes. *nepomukservices goes down all the time. *I'm going to do a
>> > fresh install of Alpha 5 and see if that changes.
>> > --
>> > Alan
>>

> Are you using the nvidia driver?

Yes.

> I've raised a bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/335879

I'll take a look.

Thanks Alan and Mark.

Best regards,
Norberto

Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Actually , on the same subject, does anybody know if it's possible to revert the nvidia driver back to the previous version? On the nvidia forums people are saying this cures the problem, but I don't know how to do this on Kubuntu.

The only way I know is using "dpkg -i"

My problem now is that I do aptitude autoclean after every
full-upgrade (bad practice I guess), so I have no .29 version anymore
and it's not in the repositories either :-(

Do you have these files:

nvidia-180-glx
nvidia-180-kernel-source
nvidia-180-libdvpau
nvidia-180-modaliases

for the 29 version in /var/cache/apt/archives? If you do, could you
please email me them (privately of course)?

Best regards,
Norberto

Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 09:53:28 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:

> Actually , on the same subject, does anybody know if it's possible to

> revert the nvidia driver back to the previous version? On the nvidia forums

> people are saying this cures the problem, but I don't know how to do this

> on Kubuntu.

You could uninstall it altogether using apt and manually download and install the driver version you want.

--

Lindsay Mathieson

http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Sunday 01 March 2009 13:00:06 Norberto Bensa wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually , on the same subject, does anybody know if it's possible to revert the nvidia driver back to the previous version? On the nvidia forums people are saying this cures the problem, but I don't know how to do this on Kubuntu.
>

> The only way I know is using "dpkg -i"
>
> My problem now is that I do aptitude autoclean after every
> full-upgrade (bad practice I guess), so I have no .29 version anymore
> and it's not in the repositories either :-(
>
> Do you have these files:
>
> nvidia-180-glx
> nvidia-180-kernel-source
> nvidia-180-libdvpau
> nvidia-180-modaliases
>
> for the 29 version in /var/cache/apt/archives? If you do, could you
> please email me them (privately of course)?

This solved the problem for me. I downgraded these packages and now log in/out is working again.

If anybody has the equivalent packages for amd64 architecture I'd be very pleased to hear from them, then I can have both my systems running properly again

Mark

Old 03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Sunday 01 March 2009 13:28:46 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Sunday 01 March 2009 13:00:06 Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Actually , on the same subject, does anybody know if it's possible to revert the nvidia driver back to the previous version? On the nvidia forums people are saying this cures the problem, but I don't know how to do this on Kubuntu.
> >

> > The only way I know is using "dpkg -i"
> >
> > My problem now is that I do aptitude autoclean after every
> > full-upgrade (bad practice I guess), so I have no .29 version anymore
> > and it's not in the repositories either :-(
> >
> > Do you have these files:
> >
> > nvidia-180-glx
> > nvidia-180-kernel-source
> > nvidia-180-libdvpau
> > nvidia-180-modaliases
> >
> > for the 29 version in /var/cache/apt/archives? If you do, could you
> > please email me them (privately of course)?
> >

> This solved the problem for me. I downgraded these packages and now log in/out is working again.
>
> If anybody has the equivalent packages for amd64 architecture I'd be very pleased to hear from them, then I can have both my systems running properly again
>
> Mark

Hopefully the final word from me on this.. I've just found that previous versions of all debs are available on Launchpad. See, for example, here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/180.29-0ubuntu1

Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hopefully the final word from me on this.. I've just found that previous versions of all debs are available on Launchpad. See, for example, here:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/180.29-0ubuntu1

Thanks Mark, I prefer debs to the NVidia package.

Regards,
Norberto