Old 12-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Clark McCallum

Default Need Startup Help Kbuntu

Were do I find basic FAQ to help with:
1. E-mail setup (Kmail), my ISP only supports Outlook and the set-up criteria use different labels, I need to get a correlation between the two so that I can configure Kmail.
2. Spellcheck won't work in either Kmail or Open Office word processor. Error message "Ispel / Aspel (what are these files and where do get a description of them) could not be started. Please make sure you have Ispell / Aspell properly configured in your PATH"
I would like to have access to the information / tutorial that will help me to resolve these issues but none of the help files in Kbuntu either provide sufficient information or worse still come up with the message "no help files found".
Much of Kbuntu (that works) is briliant but a great deal more is on offer if I can get past the very large hurdle of absent and ungraded (differentiation between new user and experienced user) help systems information.
I have also looked at (registered with) Kbuntu users lists but can't find FAQ / answers or archives - same problem with something called Launchpad.

Some help with this would be be great.

Clark McCallum

Old 12-31-2007, 01:09 AM
cary Bielenberg

Clark McCallum wrote:
> Were do I find basic FAQ to help with:
> 1. E-mail setup (Kmail), my ISP only supports Outlook and the set-up criteria use different labels, I need to get a correlation between the two so that I can configure Kmail.
> 2. Spellcheck won't work in either Kmail or Open Office word processor. Error message "Ispel / Aspel (what are these files and where do get a description of them) could not be started. Please make sure you have Ispell / Aspell properly configured in your PATH"
> I would like to have access to the information / tutorial that will help me to resolve these issues but none of the help files in Kbuntu either provide sufficient information or worse still come up with the message "no help files found".
> Much of Kbuntu (that works) is briliant but a great deal more is on offer if I can get past the very large hurdle of absent and ungraded (differentiation between new user and experienced user) help systems information.
> I have also looked at (registered with) Kbuntu users lists but can't find FAQ / answers or archives - same problem with something called Launchpad.
>
> Some help with this would be be great.
>
> Clark McCallum

Clark,
to fix the spelling at the terminal type "sudo apt-get install aspel"
this will install aspel library's, I use thunderbird as it is more
compatible like Outlook you need to type "sudo apt-get install
thunderbird" Thunderbird is made by the same folks as firefox & this
email is using thunderbird to send!

Cary

Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 AM
Clark McCallum

Thanks Cary,

I followed your advice when I eventually found the Terminal and the machine responded with:

I entered ...
sudo apt-get install aspel
It then asked for my password, I entered it and it went on ...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package aspel
cpm@cpm-desktop:~$ (I don't recognise this last line, is it supposed to be my Email add???

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Clark.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:52 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Clark McCallum wrote:
>Thanks Cary,
>
>I followed your advice when I eventually found the Terminal and the machine
> responded with:
>
>I entered ...
>sudo apt-get install aspel
>It then asked for my password, I entered it and it went on ...
>Reading package lists... Done
>Building dependency tree
>Reading state information... Done
>E: Couldn't find package aspel
>cpm@cpm-desktop:~$ (I don't recognise this last line, is it supposed to be
> my Email add???
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Regards,
>
>Clark.

Yes, Clark, it is 'aspell' with two els. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-31-2007, 04:03 AM
Donn

Clark,
Welcome to the list

> 1. E-mail setup (Kmail), my ISP only supports Outlook and the set-up
> criteria use different labels, I need to get a correlation between the two
> so that I can configure Kmail.
Kmail should work fine too. It's not much different from Outlook except that
you can't really send fancy HTML emails (with tables and backgrounds etc.)
Run kmail. Go to Settings -> Configure Kmail -> Accounts.
You need to add a POP server to receive mail, an SMTP server to send it.

The only ones (I'm guessing) you need are:
Account Name
Password
Host - is something like pop.myISP.com / smtp.myISP.com

Just copy them from Outlook, apply them to that dialogue and try your luck,
you won't break anything!
(Or ask us which fields you are stuck on.)

> 2. Spellcheck won't work in either Kmail or
> Open Office word processor. Error message "Ispel / Aspel (what are these
> files and where do get a description of them) could not be started.
They are programs that check spelling. Someone already replied, but you can
also use K -> System -> Adept Manager to search for things like this and
install them. I find it a real beast to use and prefer the command line.

BTW, you can search for stuff on the command line (terminal) too. Open konsole
(hit Alt+F2, type: konsole, hit enter) and then try stuff like this:
apt-cache search aspel

Note:
1. it's apt-cache search
2. you can use partial keyword(s). If there are many keywords use a space
between them.
3. once you get a list of results, scroll up and look at them.
4. when you locate the one you want to install:
sudo apt-get install BLAH

That's the basic recipe.

I hope you enjoy the fun and free world of Kubuntu, come back any time to ask
for help!

Old 12-31-2007, 04:52 AM
Clark McCallum

Thanks Donn,

great help, command line is soo much faster and definite.
Got help on "Kbuntu users site" problems. Their suggestion, I load Tbird also that I load "aspell"
Got Tbird up and now can receive (Not Send yet - can't find "configure" in Tbird to try some changes) But "Terminal" couldn't find Ispel (alt F2 didn't work either)
Any suggestions Tbird. I will try the search commnad line for aspell. Peculiar Tbird spelcheck works ok - curiouser and c...

Attempt to fix by search and install:

Couldn't find package Aspell
cpm@cpm-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install aspell (lower case a)
Reading package lists... Done (looks better)
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
aspell is already the newest version. (dissapointment)
cpm@cpm-desktop:~$

Office still wont run spelcheck
Open office - Tools-Options-Path - No sign of aspell in the list and I can't see how to append it.

Hopeful,

Thanks again,

Old 12-31-2007, 05:27 AM
Donn

> great help, command line is soo much faster and definite.
Pretty much always is!

> But "Terminal"
Variously called:
console, konsole, command-line, cli, shell, and others I can't recall. It's
that black box that lets you type commands directly.

> couldn't find Ispel (alt F2 didn't work either)
Not sure what you mean by "alt F2 didn't work either". Alt+F2 brings up a run
dialogue - it's a quick way to run stuff. You would then enter the name of
the program you want to run and hit enter. So, konsole, enter will start the
KDE console.
You can also install an app called 'Katapult' which is pretty cool too.

> Any suggestions Tbird.
Not really, I don't use it. But, just play around - don't be afraid of
breaking stuff, it's not that fragile

> will try the search commnad line for aspell. Peculiar Tbird spelcheck
> works ok - curiouser and c...
Yes, Tbird has it's own system I think.

> cpm@cpm-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install aspell (lower case a)
> Reading package lists... Done (looks better)
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> aspell is already the newest version. (dissapointment)
This means you already have it installed, which is the way it *should* be
anyway. So, don't worry about it.

> Office still wont run spelcheck
I am actually pretty sure that OOO also uses it's own system. The whole Aspell
thing is a bit of a surprise. But I don't use OOO much, so ignore me!

> Open office - Tools-Options-Path - No sign of aspell in the list and I
> can't see how to append it.
Neither can I! Weird. You might be best served by going to the OOO website and
searching the FAQs and forums there.

If you solve the problem, please let us know what you did!

HTH

Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Clark

Hi Donn,

follow on from previous query re OOO spellcheck your knowledge please.

I have come up with a reference (a new set of dictionaries) from the*
people who sold me the Kbuntu distribution.* The instructions seem to
leave a few steps out (my questions in brackets) and you are right,
this seems to be a bug that no one has picked up on; what should be
done about that?

The suggested solution:

OpenOffice.org

Australian
English dictionary

Full
version

Right
click on the following link and save the full version of the
dictionary files.

en_AU_V2.2.0.zip

(right click didn't work, left click and save to desktop - is this OK)

Kelvin
version (Our preferred dictionary.)

Right click on the
following link and save our preferred spelling dictionary files.

kelvin_en_AU_V2.2.0.zip

Australian
English Hyphenation file

This version of the
hyphenation file corrects an error.

Right click on the
following link and save the hyphenation file.

hyph_en_AU.dic

(this one was different, it downloaded a file starts with an ISO No.
already unpacked?)

Australian
English Thesaurus file

We have made a first
pass of the Thesaurus file and removed numerous obvious entries which
are generally not considered the way to spell the word in Australia.
For example the word "color" has been removed.

Right click on the
following link and save the Thesaurus file.

th_en_AU_2.2.1.zip

(Download as for Dict)

The file names within
the zip file is kept is v2 in keeping with the file naming standards
introduced with OpenOffice.org V2.x.

File release date: 9
December 2006

NOTE: Version 2.2.1
fixes an error reported by Scott Steele. Thanks.

Australian
English Dictionary.lst file

The dictionary.lst
file is the file which lets OpenOffice.org know which language files
to use.

The following file is
set up to work with all the above language files. You should review
this file to see that it meets your needs.

If you wish to use
additional languages to Australian English you should manually modify
the dictionary.lst file to meet your needs.

Right click on the
following link and save the dictionary.lst file.

dictionary.lst

NOTE: One person has
reported this file downloading as "dictionary.lst.txt". If
this happens rename the file back to "dictionary.lst".

NOTE: Thanks to
Tauroka for advising that Linux/Unix/BSD are sensitive to a final
carriage return at the end of files. For Linux/Unix/BSD a final
carriage return needs to be added to the dictionary.lst file.

How to install
Australian English Dictionary for OpenOffice.org in Ubuntu

Download Dictionary
files from this page.

Unzip the downloaded
dictionary files

If you're using
Ubuntu (Gnome), press Alt-F2 and type

gksudo nautilus

If
you're using Kubuntu (KDE), press Alt-F2 and type

kdesu
konqueror * ** (this doesn't work but I can open a terminal if this is
what is needed ?)

If you're using Xubuntu (XFCE), press Alt-F2 and
type

gksudo thunar

Go to** (do I do this
in command line ??* if so where do I get command line instructions)

/usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo

Find the file

dictionary.lst

rename it to
dictionary.lstold

This will allow you
to get it back if you need to

drag the unzipped
dictionary files into /usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo

(this suggests that it is done in windows, is that possible / ok)

Close the window and
restart OpenOffice.org. You will now have Australian English as your
default dictionary

The Ubuntu
instructions were provided by Gareth Humphreys. Thank you for taking
the time to contribute the instructions for the benefit of others.

(I am a little suspicious that this will still have the same problem if
the bug is due to the combination of options selected on start-up which
I am fairly sure is the case)

You did ask that I
keep you posted on any progress with this issue and your comment and
advice is still much needed.

Cheers,

Clark.

*

Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 AM
Donn

Clark,
I'll give it a go.

> I have come up with a reference (a new set of dictionaries) from the
> people who sold me the Kbuntu distribution.
Unusual to have been *sold* Kubuntu. Not impossible I suppose, just news.

> seems to be a bug that no one has picked up on; what should be done
> about that?
If you can pin the bug down and reproduce it, then I'd go looking for a bug
reporting web site related to OOO development, join it and check that it's
not already known. If not, then post your bug and the steps to trigger it.

> en_AU_V2.2.0.zip
> <http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oooau/en_AU_V2.2.0.zip>
> (right click didn't work, left click and save to desktop - is this OK)
Sure, that's just gui behaviour that depends on what app is handling the link.
There are many flavours of what may happen, all depending on user settings
etc. As long as you get the file okay.

> hyph_en_AU.dic <http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oooau/hyph_en_AU.dic>
> (this one was different, it downloaded a file starts with an ISO No.
> already unpacked?)
Not sure - I'm trying the URL but can't connect. It's not impossible for a URL
named X to actually download Y, but it's not kosher. If you expect blah.dic
and *don't* get blah.dic then you prob. have the wrong file.

> NOTE: Thanks to Tauroka for advising that Linux/Unix/BSD are sensitive
> to a final carriage return at the end of files. For Linux/Unix/BSD a
> final carriage return needs to be added to the dictionary.lst file.
This one is irksome, but not rocket-science. You can append an enter in a text
editor and save.

> If you're using *Kubuntu (KDE)*, press Alt-F2 and type
> kdesu konqueror (this doesn't work but I can open a terminal if this is
> what is needed ?)
What happens when you try? I just did:
ALT-F2
Run Command window opens, I typed:
kdesu konqueror
Konqueror opened and I can now root around my system with it.

The steps you need to take involve many operations like changing directories
and unzipping stuff, I'd focus on getting Konqueror to open in root mode and
leave the command line (konsole, console etc.) for another day.

> Go to (do I do this in command line ?? if so where do I get command line
> instructions)
They mean once you have konqueror open as root (kdesu) go to that path. You
can go there as a normal user, only you can't write or rename files.

> /usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo
FYI: From the command line (cli) this is:
cd /usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo
[cd means Change Directory]

> Find the file
> dictionary.lst
> rename it to dictionary.lstold
This sounds odd, assuming OOO needs 'dictionary.lst' if you rename it then
it's not there anymore - I'd make a copy. Don't forget to add the enter at
the end of the file - open it in Kate (from Konqueror, double-click should
work; else right-click->open with)

> drag the unzipped dictionary files into /usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo
> (this suggests that it is done in windows, is that possible / ok)
Nothing to do with windows, most file managing apps use drag and drop.
Konqueror is no different. Just locate the right files and select them in
whatever way (I use ctrl key and click them to select) and then, an easier
way, Copy them (ctrl + C, or right click selection-> Copy). Then go to the
new directory and Paste them (Ctrl + V).

To do this from the cli can get a little hairy for a new-comer. You'd use the
cp (copy) command. At this point, I'd really stick to Konqueror.

> (I am a little suspicious that this will still have the same problem if
> the bug is due to the combination of options selected on start-up which
> I am fairly sure is the case)
It sounds like it may work - mainly because the app, on startup, is expecting
to find X,Y and Z in certain places and if it finds them then it will setup
itself accordingly; so give it a go.

> You did ask that I keep you posted on any progress with this issue and
> your comment and advice is still much needed.
Good on you. I hope I didn't miss anything and that this gets you a step
closer.

BTW: If you use the ">" character in your emails and weave your questions
around the pasted text then it shows up in email clients in a way that's far
easier to read. It was kind of hard to spot your questions from the rest of
the text. Eg:
>> Some text
>Some reply to text
Most recent comment on the above

This way, on reply, the email client will keep adding '>' and things become
clearer. Also edit the email and delete sundry stuff not pertinent to the
flow.