Old 02-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Steven Vollom

Default Kmail. Intrepid install won't work.

> This looks like a configuration error and has nothing to do with if it
> is 32 or 64-bit. Recheck that your SMTP login name and password is
> right and the type authorizing method it uses . For all the different
> ISP i had used i have never had to specify a login for the SMTP
> server. Are you sure you need a login for your SMTP?
>
> Jonas,

I am in a real pickle now. I know how I got there and feel very stupid,
but I don't know how to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Everytime I am doing work on the 64bit box, I switch the keyboard and
the lan line, so that I can work on the internet while working on the
box. I have to go back an forth a lot. So when I couldn't get Kmail to
work on the 64bit box and Kmail still worked on the 32 bit box, I had
salvation. Thank GOD I have two email servers hooked in.

Anyway, and being an old guy with a fading memory, when I would press
send on an email I would take that as a configuration problem. I would
tinker with the settings trying to get an email sent that was not
actually connected. By the time I thought of the connection problem, I
had tried so many configuration possibilities that I can't remember the
one that was right. Now both boxes are screwed in Kmail. It is the one
I normally use to. When I look at the configuration in Thunderbird,
things aren't necessarily named the same, so I am not sure which
settings affect sending and which are just informative. I have tried to
duplicate the Thunderbird settings but have failed.

Then I tried to install Thunderbird on the Intrepid partition and the 64
bit Intrepid box. They are no longer in the package manager, at least
in mine. I am not confident downloading from other sources. When I
tried from the Thunderbird site, it would download about 1.5 megs and
stop; I forget the error message except that it said I had to enter the
network settings to increase something. I will have to reinstall to get
the correct error message.

I can't send screen prints because they are too big for the list, but I
could send them to your address if you would look at them and see what
you think.

I am using my backup Thunderbird now and can't understand how I got it
on Intrepid 32 and can't get it now.

Steven

Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM
John L Fjellstad

Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> writes:

> This looks like a configuration error and has nothing to do with if it
> is 32 or 64-bit. Recheck that your SMTP login name and password is
> right and the type authorizing method it uses . For all the different
> ISP i had used i have never had to specify a login for the SMTP
> server. Are you sure you need a login for your SMTP?

If authentication is enabled for SMTP, you might have to submit login
information if you want to forward mail (I have it enabled for my mail
server).

See RFC2476

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Old 02-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Steven Vollom

> If authentication is enabled for SMTP, you might have to submit login
> information if you want to forward mail (I have it enabled for my mail
> server).
>
> See RFC2476

What does RFC2476 mean? And where is it?

You don't happen to have a relative name Neil Fjellstad, I knew Neil when
about 40 years ago. This is the first time I have heard his name in 40 years.
Just thought maybe you were related.

Steven

Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
John L Fjellstad

Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>> See RFC2476
>
> What does RFC2476 mean? And where is it?

Request For Comments - 2476. See Wikipedia page for explaination what
the RFCs are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_Comments

This particular deals with the submission protocol (authenaticated smtp)

> You don't happen to have a relative name Neil Fjellstad, I knew Neil
> when about 40 years ago. This is the first time I have heard his name
> in 40 years.

Nope. Not an uncommon last name in Norway.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Steven Vollom

John L Fjellstad wrote:
> Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>

>>> See RFC2476
>>>
>> What does RFC2476 mean? And where is it?
>>

> Request For Comments - 2476. See Wikipedia page for explaination what
> the RFCs are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_Comments
>
> This particular deals with the submission protocol (authenaticated smtp)
>

>> You don't happen to have a relative name Neil Fjellstad, I knew Neil
>> when about 40 years ago. This is the first time I have heard his name
>> in 40 years.
>>

> Nope. Not an uncommon last name in Norway.

Dear John,

I took your advice above and have been reading for about an hour. I
really don't understand what I am reading. I has something to do with
MSA, which I think is Message Sending Authority. It is very confusing.

I can't get Kmail to work, but I can get Thunderbird to work. So is
this a problem with Kmail then? Is it a configuration problem, or a bug
since the new KDE 4.2?

By the way, I my roots are from Norway too. My last name is spelled
Vollom, but originally it was spelled with a double VV, which
overlapped. When my grandparents came to the united states people
pronounced our name as though it were a W, so they changed the spelling
to Vollom, from Wollom so that people would pronounce it more
correctly. I was led to understand there may be a town or village in
Norway with roots from my family. Apparently it is not too common a name.

Thanks, by the way for the type of advice you gave, it allows me to
learn better how to search on my own. I hate to bother people so much
as I do.

Cordially,

Steven