Old 02-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Steven Vollom

Default Arrangement of Icons on the panel, Intrepid KDE4.2

I would like to arrange the icons on the panel of my Intrepid install. If
possible, I would like to put the panel on the top of the desktop too. I have
been working that configuration for years. I like Intrepid enough to relearn
my use of the desktop, but I would prefer to do as before.

Steven

Old 02-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings Steven.

lÝrdag den 28. Februar 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> I would like to arrange the icons on the panel of my Intrepid
> install.

Click the Cashew on the desktop and unlock widgets.
That will put a cashew on the right end of your panel.
Click the panel cashew, to open the panel settings system. Then you
can arrange your icons by dragging them around in the panel.

> If possible, I would like to put the panel on the top of
> the desktop too.

While in the panel settings, you can also drag the panel itself to
whatever screen edge you like.

Best regards )

Johnny )

Old 02-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Steven Vollom

Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:

> Click the Cashew on the desktop and unlock widgets.
> That will put a cashew on the right end of your panel.
> Click the panel cashew, to open the panel settings system. Then you
> can arrange your icons by dragging them around in the panel.

I don't have a cashew on my desktop. I remember what you are talking
about, but for some unknown reason, mine is missing. Is there another
way to access the contents of the cashew?

Thanks Jonny,
Steven

Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Steven Vollom

There are no plasmoids on my desktop anymore. I guess I am not used to
them, and didn't notice when they disappeared. Do you know how to make
them reappear?

Steven

Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Jonas Norlander

2009/2/28 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> There are no plasmoids on my desktop anymore. *I guess I am not used to
> them, and didn't notice when they disappeared. *Do you know how to make
> them reappear?
>
> Steven

CTRL-F12 brings up the widget Dashboard and you get a menu in the
right corner where you have a unlock and Setting options.

/ Jonas

Old 02-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings.

lÝrdag den 28. Februar 2009 kvad Jonas Norlander:
> 2009/2/28 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> > There are no plasmoids on my desktop anymore. *I guess I am not
> > used to them, and didn't notice when they disappeared. *Do you
> > know how to make them reappear?
> >
> > Steven
>
> CTRL-F12 brings up the widget Dashboard and you get a menu in the
> right corner where you have a unlock and Setting options.
>
> / Jonas

Also, one should be able to unlock widgets when right clicking most
things in the panel.
Then the panel cashew should show up at the right end of the panel.
Clicking that, should open the panel settings system, where there
should be an "Add widgets..." button.

As always, a nice many ways to do the same thing )

Best regards )

Johnny )

Old 02-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings Steven.

lÝrdag den 28. Februar 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> I don't have a cashew on my desktop. I remember what you are
> talking about, but for some unknown reason, mine is missing. Is
> there another way to access the contents of the cashew?

If you have minimised all your windows, and you have _not_ installed
any additions to hide the cashew, it _should_ be at the top right
corner of your desktop background.

If it isn't I think it sounds like your KDE 4.2 instalation is a bit
sick.

If you minimise all windows and drive your mouse pointer all the way
up in the top right corner of the screen, as far as it can go, and
click the left mouse button, then do you get a small menu pop up?

Best regards )

Johnny )

Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings Steven.

lÝrdag den 28. Februar 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> There are no plasmoids on my desktop anymore. I guess I am not
> used to them, and didn't notice when they disappeared. Do you know
> how to make them reappear?

If you didn't remove the plasmoids from your desktop yourself, perhaps
you unknowingly changed to a new Activity screen.

It's like the well known virtual desktops, only different Activities
can hold different sets of plasmoids.

If you changed from your default Activity, with some plasmoids on your
desktop, to a new Activity, the new Activity has no plasmoids on its
desktop yet.
That would explain "vanishing" plasmoids.

You change between Activities by clicking the cashew at the top right
of your desktop background, and choose to zoom out.

That should present you with a view of your different Activities.
You use the Zoom in icon beneath the Activity you want to go to, to
change to that Activity.

Best regards )

Johnny )

Old 02-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Steven Vollom

> > There are no plasmoids on my desktop anymore. I guess I am not
> > used to them, and didn't notice when they disappeared. Do you know
> > how to make them reappear?

That must be what happened. I chose a different screen from downloading more
desktop screens. I was beautiful but had no plasmoids. I just realize that
screen is goneand the old one, blue with white dots is back and also the
plasmoids. I really like that new screen, I hope I can get it back.

> You change between Activities by clicking the cashew at the top right
> of your desktop background, and choose to zoom out.
I think I had Serenety. I just tried to get it back, but when I click on
apply, nothing happens.

steven

Old 02-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Ray Burke

> From: j_e_n_pub@yahoo.dk
> To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Arrangement of Icons on the panel, Intrepid KDE4.2
> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:36:45 +0100
>
> Greetings Steven.
>
> lÝrdag den 28. Februar 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> > There are no plasmoids on my desktop anymore. I guess I am not
> > used to them, and didn't notice when they disappeared. Do you know
> > how to make them reappear?
>
> If you didn't remove the plasmoids from your desktop yourself, perhaps
> you unknowingly changed to a new Activity screen.
>
> It's like the well known virtual desktops, only different Activities
> can hold different sets of plasmoids.
>
> If you changed from your default Activity, with some plasmoids on your
> desktop, to a new Activity, the new Activity has no plasmoids on its
> desktop yet.
> That would explain "vanishing" plasmoids.
>
> You change between Activities by clicking the cashew at the top right
> of your desktop background, and choose to zoom out.
>
> That should present you with a view of your different Activities.
> You use the Zoom in icon beneath the Activity you want to go to, to
> change to that Activity.
>
> Best regards )
>
> Johnny )
>
> Jonny,

What is the "You change between Activities by clicking the cashew at the top right
> of your desktop background, and choose to zoom out."
> as I am a newbie what the cashew????

ray