Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Alan Dacey

Default Arrangement of Icons on the panel, Intrepid KDE4.2

> What is the "You change between Activities by clicking the cashew at the
> top right of your desktop background, and choose to zoom out."
> as I am a newbie what the cashew????
>
> ray
> > --

The cashew is the little blob in the top right corner of the screen in KDE 4.
It controls adding and removing plasma-based applets.
KDE 3.5 does not use plasma so you will not see it there. You are running
Kubuntu 8.04 with the original KDE, right?

Alan

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated
concept. If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in

Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Ray Burke

*

> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:43:48 -0500
> From: GrokIt@ajinfosearch.com
> To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Arrangement of Icons on the panel, Intrepid KDE4.2
>
> > What is the "You change between Activities by clicking the cashew at the
> > top right of your desktop background, and choose to zoom out."
> > as I am a newbie what the cashew????
> >
> > ray
> > > --
>
> The cashew is the little blob in the top right corner of the screen in KDE 4.
> It controls adding and removing plasma-based applets.
> KDE 3.5 does not use plasma so you will not see it there. You are running
> Kubuntu 8.04 with the original KDE, right?
>
> Alan

*

Alan,

*

yes I am running K*8.04 with original KDE, am I able to upgrade to 8.10 without

any los of data?????????

*

ray

Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings Ray.

søndag den 1. Marts 2009 kvad Ray Burke:
> > > What is the "You change between Activities by clicking the
> > > cashew at the top right of your desktop background, and choose
> > > to zoom out." as I am a newbie what the cashew????
> > >
> > > Ray
> >
> > The cashew is the little blob in the top right corner of the
> > screen in KDE 4. It controls adding and removing plasma-based
> > applets.
> > KDE 3.5 does not use plasma so you will not see it there. You are
> > running Kubuntu 8.04 with the original KDE, right?
> >
> > Alan
>
> yes I am running K 8.04 with original KDE[...]
>
> Ray

I'm a bit confused now.

Exactly what KDE version are you running?

"kubuntu 8.04 with original KDE" would be KDE 3.5, but your subject
states "KDE 4.2"

Best regards )

Johnny )

Old 03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

lørdag den 28. Februar 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> [Plasmoids on the desktop]

We're drifting away from the subject.

Did you get your KDE 4.2 panel icons arranged?

Best regards

Johnny )

Old 03-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Ray Burke

> From: j_e_n_pub@yahoo.dk
> To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Arrangement of Icons on the panel, Intrepid KDE4.2
> Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 11:19:08 +0100
>
> Greetings Ray.
>
> søndag den 1. Marts 2009 kvad Ray Burke:

> > > The cashew is the little blob in the top right corner of the
> > > screen in KDE 4. It controls adding and removing plasma-based
> > > applets.
> > > KDE 3.5 does not use plasma so you will not see it there. You are
> > > running Kubuntu 8.04 with the original KDE, right?
> > >
> > > Alan
> >
> > yes I am running K 8.04 with original KDE[...]
> >
> > Ray
>
> I'm a bit confused now.
>
> Exactly what KDE version are you running?
>
> "kubuntu 8.04 with original KDE" would be KDE 3.5, but your subject
> states "KDE 4.2"
>
> Best regards )
>
> Johnny )
>
> KDE 3.5

ray

Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Steven Vollom

Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> lørdag den 28. Februar 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
>
>> [Plasmoids on the desktop]
>>

> We're drifting away from the subject.
>
> Did you get your KDE 4.2 panel icons arranged?
>
> Best regards
>
> Johnny )

Not really, but I think I am not able to explain myself, and I don't
want to frustrate you or anyone else, by making my problem so
important. I can live with the way things are. Either that, or I am
unable to enact your instructions. And I do appreciate your efforts
JohnnyO. When I see your signature, the smiley you chose kind of adds
itself to your name. My mind registers JohnnyOooooo.

If I remember your answers, they involved opening the cashew and
pressing Zoom out. That does some unusual things with my screen that I
don't know what to do with. I just did that and the screen has my
desktop occupying the upper left quarter of the screen; the balance of
the desktop is aa bunch of grey and white boxes. I can't see how that
affects my icons. Am I thinking about the right email? I may be
confused right now too. Old with a drifting memory.

Steven

Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Steven Vollom

Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> lørdag den 28. Februar 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
>
>> [Plasmoids on the desktop]
>>

> We're drifting away from the subject.
>
> Did you get your KDE 4.2 panel icons arranged?
>
> Best regards
>
> Johnny )

Johnny,

Do you consider 'the panel' the row of icons on the bottom of the
screen, or the 'plasmoids' on the desktop. If you are referring to the
bottom panel, that is what I am interested in moving Icons. Actually, I
would like to move the entire panel to the top of the screen. Then I
would like to have the Kmenu icon closest to the right corner of the
screen. Next, I would like to have the 'home/steven' icon. Then a
Konqueror icon, next a kmail icon, next a Dolphin icon, next Adept and
Synaptic, then Ktorrent then trash.

I am right handed and for years have set up my desktop shortcuts from
right to left, most used to least used on a hiding panel. I can learn
another way, but that is best for me.

When I use the plasmoid Zoom Out choice, I get a screen that I can't go
back from. I just shut the system down in frustration. What am I doing
wrong?

Steven

Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings Steven.

mandag den 2. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> Do you consider 'the panel' the row of icons on the bottom of the
> screen, or the 'plasmoids' on the desktop.

I consider "The Panel" the row of icons on the bottom of the screen.

> If you are referring to the bottom panel, that is what I am
> interested in moving Icons.

Then let's try to do that )

> Actually, I would like to move the entire panel to the top of the
> screen.

Click the cashew at the top right corner of your desktop, and choose
to unlock widgets.
That should put an additional cashew at the panel's right end.
Click the panel cashew.
That should open the panel settings.
In the panel settings you should see an item "Screen edge".
Click and drag the "Screen edge" item to the top of the screen to move
the panel to the top of the screen.

> Then I would like to have the Kmenu icon closest to the
> right corner of the screen.

I assume the K menu icon is already in the panel.
Widgets must be unlocked.
Click the panel cashew, to open the panel settings.
Drag the K menu button to whereever you want it.

> Next, I would like to have the 'home/steven' icon.

The one that pops a menu showing the contents of /home/steven, or the
one that opens /home/steven in Dolphin?

> Then a Konqueror icon, next a kmail icon, next a Dolphin icon, next
> Adept and Synaptic, then Ktorrent

You can drag and drop icons from the K menu onto the panel to add
extra icons on the panel.
Widgets must be unlocked.
If the panel settings are open, close them.
Then navigate the K menu to find the applications of which you want
icons added to the panel, and drag and drop from the K menu onto the
panel.
When all your icons are on the panel, open the panel settings and drag
the icons around in the panel, to arrange them in whatever order you
like.

> Then trash.

This has to be added a bit differently, in order for the trash can
icon to get the popup menu option of emptying trash, and in order for
the icon to change depending on whether there is something in the can
or not.
Widgets must be unlocked.
Open the panel settings.
Choose "Add widgets".
In the "Add widgets" window, find and select the Trashcan widget.
Click "Add widget".
That should place a trashcan icon on your panel.
Close the "Add widgets" window.
Open the panel settings, and drag the trashcan icon whereever you like
it.

> ...hiding panel.

I assume you want your panel to hide automatically.
Widgets must be unlocked.
Open the panel settings.
Choose "More settings"
Choose "Auto hide"
Close the panel settings.

Remember to lock the widgets when all your tampering is done.

> When I use the plasmoid Zoom Out choice, I get a screen that I
> can't go back from. I just shut the system down in frustration.
> What am I doing wrong?

You just need to click the "Zoom in" icon beneath the miniature of
your desktop.

How many miniature desktops do you see when zoomed out?

Feel free to ask additional questions.
We're here to help each other.

Best regards

Johnny )