Old 02-24-2009, 12:47 PM
"francesco@promotux.it"

Default nepomuk

Hi, is there an applet oa a widget or something for use nepomuk server?
in system setting i started the daemon but i don't know where i can make
a search

kubuntu jaunty kde 4.2

thanks

Francesco

Old 02-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Jonas Norlander

2009/2/24 francesco@promotux.it <francesco@promotux.it>:
> Hi, is there an applet oa a widget or something for use nepomuk server?
> in system setting i started the daemon but i don't know where i can make
> a search
>
> kubuntu jaunty *kde 4.2
>
> thanks
>
> Francesco

I'm looking for an answer to this to as for now I have deactivate
strigi and nepomuk as I don't see a use for it. Strigi is suppose to
be a desktop search engine but without the tools search for anything
what use is it then? In Gwenview there are some references and
Dolphine (i think) that you can use Nepomuke to add tags, komments and
rating to files but I have not tested it. For tagging my photos i use
Digikam as it will store the tags as metadata in the files.

/ Jonas

Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Ric Moore

Just what good is nepomuk and how come it eats up a fair percentage of
CPU, according to top, at around 10%? Will my addressbook blow up
without it? Can it be removed? I couldn't care LESS about some process
continually strolling around my file system looking to categorize
things. My brain suffices to keep track of my music. I'd really like to
blow it off. Ric

Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Clay Weber

On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 01:18:16 pm Ric Moore wrote:
> Just what good is nepomuk and how come it eats up a fair percentage
of
> CPU, according to top, at around 10%? Will my addressbook blow up
> without it? Can it be removed? I couldn't care LESS about some
process
> continually strolling around my file system looking to categorize
> things. My brain suffices to keep track of my music. I'd really like to
> blow it off. Ric

If you rely a LOT on desktop search, tagging files and folders/pictures,
then nepomuk is quite good, but it can take a fair bit to index everything
initially. It does shut off automatically if resources are too low. But
searches are quite fast.

Address book has nothing to do with desktop search. If you don't want
Nepomuk (tagging, categorizing) and/or Strigi (the file indexing) you can
disable them very easily in System Settings

Clay

Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Clay Weber said the following at 06/16/2010 11:37 AM :

> If you rely a LOT on desktop search, tagging files and folders/pictures,
> then nepomuk is quite good, but it can take a fair bit to index everything
> initially. It does shut off automatically if resources are too low. But
> searches are quite fast.

How long is it likely to keep running following an upgrade? (Yeah, silly
question because it probably depends on all kinds of imponderables, but
what have other users experienced?)

I seem to recall that it ran for a couple of hours when I moved to karmic.
I upgraded to lucid two days ago, and all four cores are pretty solidly in
use still, and the disk light is still on almost continuously. The (lack
of) responsiveness of the desktop is truly abysmal, so I'm wondering how
much longer this is likely to go on.

I don't like to remove something that KDE seems to expect to be running,
but when it takes 30 seconds just to start a program because the system is
so bogged down, that seems to me have passed the bounds of reasonable
behaviour, so if this is likely to continue much longer, I guess I'll be
switching off nepomuk, even though I very much like the idea of a desktop
search that actually works.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Clay Weber

On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 03:20:51 pm D. R. Evans wrote:
> Clay Weber said the following at 06/16/2010 11:37 AM :
> > If you rely a LOT on desktop search, tagging files and
folders/pictures,
> > then nepomuk is quite good, but it can take a fair bit to index
> > everything initially. It does shut off automatically if resources are
> > too low. But searches are quite fast.
>
> How long is it likely to keep running following an upgrade? (Yeah, silly
> question because it probably depends on all kinds of imponderables,
but
> what have other users experienced?)
>
> I seem to recall that it ran for a couple of hours when I moved to
karmic.
> I upgraded to lucid two days ago, and all four cores are pretty solidly
in
> use still, and the disk light is still on almost continuously. The (lack
> of) responsiveness of the desktop is truly abysmal, so I'm wondering
how
> much longer this is likely to go on.
>
> I don't like to remove something that KDE seems to expect to be
running,
> but when it takes 30 seconds just to start a program because the
system is
> so bogged down, that seems to me have passed the bounds of
reasonable
> behaviour, so if this is likely to continue much longer, I guess I'll be
> switching off nepomuk, even though I very much like the idea of a
desktop
> search that actually works.
>
> Doc

Don't remove it, just shut it off. You won't loose any functionality really,
unless you use desktop searches (which include file *contents* as well),
regular searches fork fine without it.

you can also tell it which folders to index, usually it is set to index your
entire /home folder, which could include email, photos, docs, music, etc.

I don't know how long it takes to finish as it depends on how much it
has to index. On my old laptop it doesn't have much to index, but it
does slow things down so I usually turn it off. Even so, it never ran
constantly after the first run, however. It does bog my 2.0 pentium 4
and 1gb ram down once in a while, though. I have not looked at how
much it sucks up , though.

I have a fresh install here, so i will see how it goes

Clay

Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 AM
"D. R. Evans"

Clay Weber said the following at 06/16/2010 04:39 PM :

> Don't remove it, just shut it off. You won't loose any functionality really,
> unless you use desktop searches (which include file *contents* as well),
> regular searches fork fine without it.

Well I would really like to have a usable desktop search, so I don't mind
putting up with a bit of initial pain. I think I'll give it until tomorrow
morning. If it's still consuming everything then, I'll switch it off.

I guess the nepomuk in lucid must be very different from the one in karmic,
since it seems to be re-indexing so much. But that's not a bad thing, since
desktop search in karmic was, unfortunately, laughable (if one was in a
laughing mood, which I admit I rarely was when desktop search returned no
hits for items that I knew existed -- or, worse, a random subset of files
with hits). I have some hope that after all this work, the result will be a
desktop search system that is useful.

I have it set up to index everything under ~, which comes to ~500GB of data
in about 1,000,000 files. That seems reaonable to me, but maybe I have a
different idea of reasonableness from the KDE developers.

I don't think I'd find it so annoying if nepomuk figured out that it was
consuming the machine and throttled itself back. I suppose I could force it
to do so myself with nice and ionice, but really a user shouldn't have to
be fiddling with changing the priority of daemons.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 17/06/2010 02:04, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Clay Weber said the following at 06/16/2010 04:39 PM :
>

>> Don't remove it, just shut it off. You won't loose any functionality really,
>> unless you use desktop searches (which include file *contents* as well),
>> regular searches fork fine without it.
>
> Well I would really like to have a usable desktop search, so I don't mind
> putting up with a bit of initial pain. I think I'll give it until tomorrow
> morning. If it's still consuming everything then, I'll switch it off.
>
> I guess the nepomuk in lucid must be very different from the one in karmic,
> since it seems to be re-indexing so much. But that's not a bad thing, since
> desktop search in karmic was, unfortunately, laughable (if one was in a
> laughing mood, which I admit I rarely was when desktop search returned no
> hits for items that I knew existed -- or, worse, a random subset of files
> with hits). I have some hope that after all this work, the result will be a
> desktop search system that is useful.
>
> I have it set up to index everything under ~, which comes to ~500GB of data
> in about 1,000,000 files. That seems reaonable to me, but maybe I have a
> different idea of reasonableness from the KDE developers.
>
> I don't think I'd find it so annoying if nepomuk figured out that it was
> consuming the machine and throttled itself back. I suppose I could force it
> to do so myself with nice and ionice, but really a user shouldn't have to
> be fiddling with changing the priority of daemons.

With a disc sufficiently much smaller than yours Strigi/Nepomuk is still
indexing a week down the line - however this laptop stays switched off
during nights (hmmm should perhaps leave it on to finalise?). I have
around 85 GB of data and have "unticked" nepomuk on about 10 of those

Sinclair

Old 06-17-2010, 03:27 PM
"D. R. Evans"

O. Sinclair said the following at 06/17/2010 01:32 AM :

> With a disc sufficiently much smaller than yours Strigi/Nepomuk is still
> indexing a week down the line - however this laptop stays switched off
> during nights (hmmm should perhaps leave it on to finalise?). I have
> around 85 GB of data and have "unticked" nepomuk on about 10 of those

Thank you for that information.

It was still consuming everything this morning, 2 days after the upgrade,
so I've turned it off.

Maybe I'll just run it at night for however long it takes. It sure seems
like the indexing daemon needs some work so that it isn't so intrusive (and
it would be nice if it was a lot faster, but I can see that maybe that's
not possible).

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Nigel Ridley

On 06/17/2010 06:27 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> O. Sinclair said the following at 06/17/2010 01:32 AM :
>

>> With a disc sufficiently much smaller than yours Strigi/Nepomuk is still
>> indexing a week down the line - however this laptop stays switched off
>> during nights (hmmm should perhaps leave it on to finalise?). I have
>> around 85 GB of data and have "unticked" nepomuk on about 10 of those
>>

> Thank you for that information.
>
> It was still consuming everything this morning, 2 days after the upgrade,
> so I've turned it off.
>
> Maybe I'll just run it at night for however long it takes. It sure seems
> like the indexing daemon needs some work so that it isn't so intrusive (and
> it would be nice if it was a lot faster, but I can see that maybe that's
> not possible).
>
> Doc

If you go to System Settings > Advanced > Desktop Search > Advanced Settings you can assign more
memory to NeoPunk so that it have a better performance.

Nigel