Old 06-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Clay Weber

Default nepomuk

On Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:48:19 am Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On 06/17/2010 06:27 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> > O. Sinclair said the following at 06/17/2010 01:32 AM :
> >> With a disc sufficiently much smaller than yours Strigi/Nepomuk
is still
> >> indexing a week down the line - however this laptop stays
switched off
> >> during nights (hmmm should perhaps leave it on to finalise?). I
have
> >> around 85 GB of data and have "unticked" nepomuk on about 10
of those

> > Thank you for that information.
> >
> > It was still consuming everything this morning, 2˝ days after the
> > upgrade, so I've turned it off.
> >
> > Maybe I'll just run it at night for however long it takes. It sure
seems
> > like the indexing daemon needs some work so that it isn't so
intrusive
> > (and it would be nice if it was a lot faster, but I can see that maybe
> > that's not possible).
> >
> > Doc
>
> If you go to System Settings > Advanced > Desktop Search >
> Settings you can assign more memory to NeoPunk so that it have a
better
> performance.
>
> Nigel

But that does nothing for the actual indexing part, just makes searches
faster

clay

Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 PM
"Helder Terra"

I've found where to assign more memory, but I can't find where to shut it
down or remove it completely.

It really does consume a lot of CPU.

Helder Terra

Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 18:39 -0400, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 03:20:51 pm D. R. Evans wrote:
> > Clay Weber said the following at 06/16/2010 11:37 AM :
> > > If you rely a LOT on desktop search, tagging files and
> folders/pictures,
> > > then nepomuk is quite good, but it can take a fair bit to index
> > > everything initially. It does shut off automatically if resources are
> > > too low. But searches are quite fast.
> >
> > How long is it likely to keep running following an upgrade? (Yeah, silly
> > question because it probably depends on all kinds of imponderables,
> but
> > what have other users experienced?)

I turned the damn thing off and don't miss it personally. Just maybe I
don't want a program to know where everything is, because it can tell.
My music and video files are my business, I put them where I put them
and I know where what is. Maybe I'm being paranoid <giggles inanely> but
I switch off all media features like album cover retrievals. It would be
a piece of cake for some nosy music-industry hack to find out what has
been retrieved with a court order. I look askance as "cloud computing"
too ...no telling who can snoop and what can happen with the
information, once it has left the security of my machine.

> > I seem to recall that it ran for a couple of hours when I moved to
> karmic.
> > I upgraded to lucid two days ago, and all four cores are pretty solidly
> in
> > use still, and the disk light is still on almost continuously. The (lack
> > of) responsiveness of the desktop is truly abysmal, so I'm wondering
> how
> > much longer this is likely to go on.
> >
> > I don't like to remove something that KDE seems to expect to be
> running,

Nary a whimper, after I turned it off. Now to dig around to find all
those files to delete them. Ric

Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 04:41:15 am Ric Moore wrote:
> I switch off all media features like album cover retrievals. It would be
> a piece of cake for some nosy music-industry hack to find out what has
> been retrieved with a court order

Interesting point
--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Old 06-18-2010, 01:38 AM
Nigel Ridley

On 06/17/2010 08:39 PM, Helder Terra wrote:
> I've found where to assign more memory, but I can't find where to shut it
> down or remove it completely.
>
> It really does consume a lot of CPU.
>
> Helder Terra

Go to System Settings > Advanced > Desktop Search > Basic Settings and uncheck the 'Enable
Nepomuk Semantic Desktop'.

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 12-17-2011, 04:50 AM
"O. Sinclair"

This is, for starters, not a rant. I have little use for the whole
concept of the semantic desktop but I do get the possible advantages of
it. Once it works.

At this moment however it seems lost. I open "find" in Dolpin and search
for "current" as in "current state" or whatever and get x number of mp3
files and such that has nothing at all to do with current. Have no idea
where Strigi and friends pick up "current" from Swedish band Kent and
their songs from the album "Röd" (red).

The other main complaint: why the constant reindexing? I just found
Nepomukindexer chewing 25% CPU indexing pdf files in a folder I have
named "manuals". Where I have not changed or even OPENED a file for
months. And that is despite the indexer claiming to be "done" now and then.

Can anyone please explain how it works and what is the main problem at
the moment? This is not "production ready" and I am not even making my
dear wife a candidate to try this out, on her computer I switch off all
desktop search functions.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Mark Greenwood

On 17 Dec 2011, at 05:50, O. Sinclair wrote:

> This is, for starters, not a rant. I have little use for the whole concept of the semantic desktop but I do get the possible advantages of it. Once it works.
>
> At this moment however it seems lost. I open "find" in Dolpin and search for "current" as in "current state" or whatever and get x number of mp3 files and such that has nothing at all to do with current. Have no idea where Strigi and friends pick up "current" from Swedish band Kent and their songs from the album "Röd" (red).

If you disable Strigi, the find functionality reverts to the way it used to do it which, unsurprisingly, works.

> The other main complaint: why the constant reindexing? I just found Nepomukindexer chewing 25% CPU indexing pdf files in a folder I have named "manuals". Where I have not changed or even OPENED a file for months. And that is despite the indexer claiming to be "done" now and then.

This simply has to be a bug. It does it to me too. I have disabled Strigi by simply disabling it in system settings and I haven't noticed it doing anything unusual recently.

> Can anyone please explain how it works and what is the main problem at the moment?

It is *supposed* to allow you to search file names, contents, metadata etc all from the same place - like a Mac does, only slower and less reliably. However at the moment it appears to be a disjointed hodgepodge of badly designed components that aren't finished and have never been tested. It simply doesn't work and should never have been included in a distribution release. This stuff ought to have been made available through a 'testing' ppa while the main release was released free from nepo-strigi-muk.

I'd like to add that of course, new features always seem to breed a lot of resentment, especially in the linux world - people don't seem to like change. However this nepomuk/strigi thing is not one of those times when people have a rant for a while and then get over it. This is pure and simple bad software that doesn't work properly and really screws up our systems for the things we do day to day. If there is anyone in the KDE world leading this whole project, then they should be thrown over a barrel and whipped with sticks.

Mark

Old 12-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Kaj Haulrich

On 12/17/2011 11:48 AM, Mark Greenwood wrote:

[...]

Once again: one can disable not only Strigi, but Nepomuk as well.
Eventually by unticking it in Service Manager. No need for the whole
Nepomuk / Akonadi / Soprano / Strigi rigmarole if you don't use KMail,
KAddressbook etc.. By doing so you'll get a system that runs faster than
a greased lightning.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.04 ---------

Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Mark Greenwood

> Once again: one can disable not only Strigi, but Nepomuk as well. Eventually by unticking it in Service Manager. No need for the whole Nepomuk / Akonadi / Soprano / Strigi rigmarole if you don't use KMail, KAddressbook etc.. By doing so you'll get a system that runs faster than a greased lightning.

That's fine, and useful. But the point is that this stuff should not be in a release of an operating system. It does not work, and deeply affects the performance of the entire system. It should not be necessary to switch off core features just to get a useable computer. KDE really messed this one up, and lessons must be learned.

Mark

Old 12-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:03:20 PM Mark Greenwood wrote:
> That's fine, and useful. But the point is that this stuff should not be in a
> release of an operating system. It does not work, and deeply affects the
> performance of the entire system. It should not be necessary to switch off
> core features just to get a useable computer. KDE really messed this one
> up, and lessons must be learned.

A few months back I saw a post on a nepomuk developers blog re the fact that:

- external interfaces were poorly or not documented and frequently changed

- return codes/exceptions were undocumented and frequently changed

- errors went largely unlogged and were ignored

- logging in general was almost non-existent

I commented that this was a recipe for disaster - in the large corporate
projects I worked on it was essential for core services to be well documented
and *essential* for them to log every error, especially unexpected ones. It
paid off in spades when you were trying to debug weird shit happening on the
various remote and obscure setups we had to work with.

Sure you have to keep service specifications flexible, especially in
development as new requirements/problem emerge, but you also have to be able
to say enough is enough and tie it down. And always always document and make
it transparent.

My comment was deleted.

--
Lindsay