Old 12-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Paul S

Default man pages in konqueror show 34 for quote

How can I get the konqueror man page to use the " symbol instead of
substituting the numbers 34?

Old 12-30-2007, 02:45 AM

On Dec 29, 2007 3:28 PM, Paul S <paulatgm@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I get the konqueror man page to use the " symbol instead of
> substituting the numbers 34?

Insufficient data

man konqueror

[snip]

SEE ALSO
Full user documentation is available through the KDE Help
Center. You can also enter the URL help:/konqueror/ directly into
konqueror or you can
run 'khelpcenter help:/konqueror/' from the command-line.

AUTHORS
David Faure <faure@kde.org>
Simon Hausmann <hausmann@kde.org>
Michael Reiher <michael.reiher@gmx.de>
Matthias Welk <welk@fokus.gmd.de>

Perhaps the terminal you view man pages in has trouble displaying
smart quotes ('...'). Perhaps changing your terminal's font settings
might correct that. Just guessing. Insufficient data.

Cheers,
Roger

Old 12-30-2007, 03:05 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 29 December 2007, Paul S wrote:

> How can I get the konqueror man page to use the " symbol instead of
> substituting the numbers 34?

I don't see any double quotes in that man page. Or any numbers 34 either.
OK, I do see `blah' in there, and maybe that's the set of quotes you're
talking about.

OK, it must be, because I see āk (a with a circumflex over it, followed by k)
there.

My Konsole is probably still set to ISO-88-whatever-1 instead of UTF-8. Let
me check... Yes. So I changed this to Default instead, so it will honor my
new UTF-8 locale (since a few upgrades ago) and presto, the quotes are normal
again.

(I figured out where the quotes were by using Konqueror to read the man page
the first time. Simply type Alt-F2 and enter "#konqueror" into the run box,
and presto. The graphicalized man pages are a little easier on the eye.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Sylviane et Perry White

On Sunday 30 December 2007 05:05, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> (I figured out where the quotes were by using Konqueror to read the man
> page the first time. *Simply type Alt-F2 and enter "#konqueror" into the
> run box, and presto. *The graphicalized man pages are a little easier on
> the eye.)
Or type Alt-F2 and enter "#ls" to have ls man pages

Great tip, thanks Perry

--
BOFH excuse #333: A plumber is needed, the network drain is clogged

Old 12-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Thilo Six

Sylviane et Perry White wrote the following on 30.12.2007 08:34

</snip>

>> Simply type Alt-F2 and enter "#konqueror" into the

</snip>

> Great tip, thanks Perry

dito

--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Thilo Six

>>> Simply type Alt-F2 and enter "#konqueror" into the

is there this kind of shortcut for info papes, too?

--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Paul S

roger@rogerchrisman.com said the following on 12/29/2007 10:45 PM:
> On Dec 29, 2007 3:28 PM, Paul S <paulatgm@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How can I get the konqueror man page to use the " symbol instead of
>> substituting the numbers 34?
>
> Insufficient data

Sorry, I just assumed everyone had this problem. I already knew about
using konqueror for viewing man pages. However, when I use
"man:/xorg.conf" in konqueror, I see the number 34 substituted for "

For example, if I use konsole and enter "man xorg.conf", I will see this
line as:

Section "SectionName"

But, in konqueror, I see the same line as:

Section '34'SectionName'34'

I suppose it's some character encoding issue, but don't know what to
check or change. I have selected United States under System Settings >
Regional & Language > Country/Region & Language > Country or region and
have rebooted.

What else do I need to set and to what?

TIA

Old 12-30-2007, 03:36 PM
"John DeCarlo"

On Dec 30, 2007 11:21 AM, Paul S <paulatgm@gmail.com> wrote:

For example, if I use konsole and enter "man xorg.conf", I will see this
line as:

* *Section *"SectionName"

But, in konqueror, I see the same line as:

* Section *'34'SectionName'34'

I can't get "man xorg.conf" to display anything like

Section "SectionName"

How do you get it to do that?

Now konqueror, will tell me that xorg.conf is in the

Section:* File Formats (5)

I don't understand your question.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Old 12-30-2007, 05:04 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

> I suppose it's some character encoding issue, but don't know what to
> check or change. I have selected United States under System Settings >
> Regional & Language > Country/Region & Language > Country or region and
> have rebooted.

It sounds like a locale problem. I'd rather not try to get into diagnosing
and correcting a locale problem, because I barely have any idea what the hell
I'm doing, and I'd have to do way too much homework to try to help you.

In the meantime, if you hit a man page in Konqueror with the weird quotes, try
going to View -> Set Encoding and try setting it to "Unicode (utf-8)" and see
if that cures the strange characters.

I'm not sure of a permanent solution.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Wulfy

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>> I suppose it's some character encoding issue, but don't know what to
>> check or change. I have selected United States under System Settings >
>> Regional & Language > Country/Region & Language > Country or region and
>> have rebooted.
>>

> It sounds like a locale problem. I'd rather not try to get into diagnosing
> and correcting a locale problem, because I barely have any idea what the hell
> I'm doing, and I'd have to do way too much homework to try to help you.
>
> In the meantime, if you hit a man page in Konqueror with the weird quotes, try
> going to View -> Set Encoding and try setting it to "Unicode (utf-8)" and see
> if that cures the strange characters.
>
> I'm not sure of a permanent solution.

I have the same "problem" as the OP. My locale is en_GB-utf8... I
tried changing the encoding to several others in the Western Europe
group and none made a difference. I do know that '34' is the hex code
for the ASCII double quote...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann