Old 12-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Donn

Default man pages in konqueror show 34 for quote

> I have the same "problem" as the OP. My locale is en_GB-utf8... I
> tried changing the encoding to several others in the Western Europe
> group and none made a difference. I do know that '34' is the hex code
> for the ASCII double quote...

If there are indeed seven shades of sh*t, then six of them are beaten out of
me -- I have one shade left:
Chr(34) decimal is a " character, and for the browser to display two
characters '3' and '4' instead sounds like a bug in the code or it can't find
the glyph for " and so it's printing the ASCII code instead. Given that, it
does seem to be a character-set/font issue.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Wulfy

Donn wrote:
>> I have the same "problem" as the OP. My locale is en_GB-utf8... I
>> tried changing the encoding to several others in the Western Europe
>> group and none made a difference. I do know that '34' is the hex code
>> for the ASCII double quote...
>>

> If there are indeed seven shades of sh*t, then six of them are beaten out of
> me -- I have one shade left:
> Chr(34) decimal is a " character, and for the browser to display two
> characters '3' and '4' instead sounds like a bug in the code or it can't find
> the glyph for " and so it's printing the ASCII code instead. Given that, it
> does seem to be a character-set/font issue.

Yet the man page displays perfectly in Konsole... I tried the <Alt><F2>
#xorg.conf but Firefox couldn't display the page - doesn't know man:/.
How does Konqueror normally display unknown glyphs? FF uses a box with
the unicode character code in it...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 12-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Donn

> Yet the man page displays perfectly in Konsole... I tried the <Alt><F2>
You could always check the settings for konsole and see what font it's
using...

> How does Konqueror normally display unknown glyphs? FF uses a box with
> the unicode character code in it...
That's what's weird to me. It's not like a quote symbol is anything new - and
to display the ascii char code smells like a bug.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:26 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 30 December 2007, John DeCarlo wrote:
> I can't get "man xorg.conf" to display anything like
>
> Section "SectionName"
>
> How do you get it to do that?

By RTFMing

Scroll down. It's there. I see this too, just like he said.

Section '34'SectionName'34'
SectionEntry
EndSection

Interesting. I didn't see it earlier today, but there it is, and my encoding
suggestion didn't do squat. Unless... Nope. Squat.

Weird.

OK, I don't know anything about man page programming, but here's the code for
that bit(/usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz):

.RS 4
.nf
.BI "Section *q" SectionName *q
.RI " " SectionEntry
.B EndSection
.fi
.RE

Looks like the *q" *q" syntax is for fancy quotes, and looks like
Konqueror's help browser mode is not interpreting this correctly. It doesn't
look like an encoding/locale problem after all.

But then... Further down in the page in Konqueror, I see quotes, smart
looking quotes:

Note: hex integer values must be prefixed with “0x”, and octal values
with “0”.

So where is that in the man source?

.BR "String " "a string enclosed in double quote marks (*q)"
.fi
.RE
.PP
Note: hex integer values must be prefixed with (lq0x(rq, and octal values
with (lq0(rq.

OK, the top example is another *q, and it shows up as another '34' in
Konqueror, but the bottom example with (lq0x(rq interprets as I pasted
above, with // // type quotes, which I think only exist in Unicode.

Anyway, it's all looking like a Konqueror bug. I tried to launch the bug
report wizard, and it's broken. A bug in the bug reporter too? Ah, glee and
jubilant exaltation!

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-30-2007, 09:48 PM