Old 12-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Donn

Default More on openoffice

Have you tried installing the OOO original - I mean not via apt-get? I tried
that a few years ago and it worked quite well. Go to their website and get
the Linux version.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Graham

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:17:48 +0100
Seakat <seakat@orange.fr> wrote:

> For OpenOffice, which previously I've used for about 2 years, I've
> solved the lack of icons by tinkering with permissions, but I still
> have the problems of not seeing all text on Write, Calc or Impress,
> and the tiny row heights in Calc. This makes it practically unusable.
> I've tried uninstalling-reinstalling and so on many times.
> Yesterday.....

Instead of Write, use Abiword.

Instead of Calc, use Gnumeric

There's no real equivalent to Impress, although you might like to take
a look at the KOffice suite, which includes KPresenter. It also
includes KWord (word processor) and KSpread (spreadsheet) but which
IMHO are inferior to Abiword and Gnumeric.

HTH

--

Graham Todd

Old 12-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Neil Winchurst

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:54:20 +0000
Graham <grahamtodd2@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Instead of Write, use Abiword.
>

> Graham Todd

Well, I would like to try it out. I have it installed but I cannot get
the default font to change from Times NR to any other one at all
almost. (I hate TNR). And yes I have followed the instructions in the
help file very carefully. Until I can get that sorted Abiword is out
for me.

Neil Winchurst

Old 12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
"Richard S. Crawford"

On Friday 28 December 2007 09:04:55 Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Well, I would like to try it out. I have it installed but I cannot get
> the default font to change from Times NR to any other one at all
> almost. (I hate TNR). And yes I have followed the instructions in the
> help file very carefully. Until I can get that sorted Abiword is out
> for me.

Neil,

Have you tried deleting the .openoffice.org2 directory from your home
directory, then reinstalling OpenOffice.org?

And just because I'm persnickiety, you should note that the official name of
the suite is OpenOffice.org, complete with the .org at the end.

--
Richard S. Crawford
Editor-in-chief, Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)

Old 12-28-2007, 06:01 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Friday 28 December 2007, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> And just because I'm persnickiety, you should note that the official name
> of the suite is OpenOffice.org, complete with the .org at the end.

Which is completely true, but also something of an embarrassment to me when I
tell people about the thing. I wish their name weren't so flamboyantly
goofy.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-29-2007, 06:16 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Seakat wrote:
> I've tried uninstalling-reinstalling and so on many times. Yesterday.....
Have you tried purging openoffice? if you just doing apt-get remove it
stores configuration files which could be the cause of your troubles.