Old 02-03-2009, 02:58 AM
Ian

Default IPv6

8.04

Is IPv6 "turned on" automatically upon installation? If so, how do you
"turn it off?"

Ian

Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Ian wrote:
> 8.04
>
> Is IPv6 "turned on" automatically upon installation?

Yes.

> If so, how do you "turn it off?"

There are multiple ways. One is given at
http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-disable-ipv6-on-ubuntu/

However, I don't recommend this.

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Ian

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Ian wrote:
>
>> 8.04
>>
>> Is IPv6 "turned on" automatically upon installation?
>>

> Yes.
>

>> If so, how do you "turn it off?"
>>

> There are multiple ways. One is given at
> http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-disable-ipv6-on-ubuntu/
>
> However, I don't recommend this.

Why? Please explain. Keep in mind, I know nothing about IPv6 other
than what I
read on Wikipedia. It states that less than 1% of the internet uses
it. I heard it can
slow down your internet connection. Again, since I am not familiar with
it, I don't
know how to verify those claims.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 09:04 -0600, Ian wrote:
> Keep in mind, I know nothing about IPv6 other
> than what I
> read on Wikipedia. It states that less than 1% of the internet uses
> it. I heard it can
> slow down your internet connection. Again, since I am not familiar with
> it, I don't know how to verify those claims.

It's a sure bet it will become more widely used in the near future.
Heck, if it were more widely adopted everyone could get a static IP
address at birth. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Ian

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 09:04 -0600, Ian wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind, I know nothing about IPv6 other
>> than what I
>> read on Wikipedia. It states that less than 1% of the internet uses
>> it. I heard it can
>> slow down your internet connection. Again, since I am not familiar with
>> it, I don't know how to verify those claims.
>>

> It's a sure bet it will become more widely used in the near future.
> Heck, if it were more widely adopted everyone could get a static IP
> address at birth. Ric

Will it eventually replace IPv4? Or will it always be a supplement?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Odd

Ian wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 09:04 -0600, Ian wrote:
>>
>>> Keep in mind, I know nothing about IPv6 other
>>> than what I
>>> read on Wikipedia. It states that less than 1% of the internet uses
>>> it. I heard it can
>>> slow down your internet connection. Again, since I am not familiar with
>>> it, I don't know how to verify those claims.
>>>

>> It's a sure bet it will become more widely used in the near future.
>> Heck, if it were more widely adopted everyone could get a static IP
>> address at birth. Ric
>>

> Will it eventually replace IPv4? Or will it always be a supplement?

Yes, it will replace IPv4, but not for many years. IPv4 will be gradually
phased out. In the meantime they will live side by side.

Odd

Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 1:00:13 pm Ian wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 09:04 -0600, Ian wrote:
> >> Keep in mind, I know nothing about IPv6 other
> >> than what I
> >> read on Wikipedia. It states that less than 1% of the internet uses
> >> it. I heard it can
> >> slow down your internet connection. Again, since I am not familiar with
> >> it, I don't know how to verify those claims.
> >
> > It's a sure bet it will become more widely used in the near future.
> > Heck, if it were more widely adopted everyone could get a static IP
> > address at birth. Ric
>
> Will it eventually replace IPv4? Or will it always be a supplement?

I had forgotten how buggy IPv6 was in a linux distro. A couple of years ago I
had disabled it in a Mandriva desktop and fixed the failure to resolve
certain URLs. I had also disabled it for a friend on his RedHat machine
which fixed the problems he was having at the time as well. Guess I'm
getting too old for this stuff as guess what my problem has been for the last
couple weeks? Yep! And now all the websites resolve again just fine! Worst
part about it is that it is actually written down in my computer ledger as
the fix for the symptoms I was experiencing!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
"D. R. Evans"

Pastor JW said the following at 02/03/2009 05:55 PM :

> I had forgotten how buggy IPv6 was in a linux distro. A couple of years ago I

??? Please describe the bugs that led to that statement. Seriously, I'd
like to know. I develop for IPv6 and I haven't seen any evidence of bugginess.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Ian wrote:
>>> If so, how do you "turn it off?"
>>>
>> There are multiple ways. One is given at
>> http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-disable-ipv6-on-ubuntu/
>>
>> However, I don't recommend this.
>>
> Why? Please explain. Keep in mind, I know nothing about IPv6 other
> than what I read on Wikipedia.

Well, maybe that's the problem. IPv6 is the future of the internet, but
it's also already here.

> I heard it can slow down your internet connection.

That's false. People who say this usually are confused by the fact that
a compliant IPv6 client must check for IPv6 DNS records when it sees a
new host. Once it's connected via IPv4, the speed is the same
regardless of whether IPv6 is enabled.

Disabling IPv6 for this reason is analogous to using a phonebook with
only land lines listed, instead of a phone book for cell phones and
another for land lines. Lookups will be faster for people without cell
phone numbers, but you'll never be able to contact people with only cell
phones.

You're limiting your computer's potential.

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Ian wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 09:04 -0600, Ian wrote:
>>
>>> Keep in mind, I know nothing about IPv6 other
>>> than what I
>>> read on Wikipedia. It states that less than 1% of the internet uses
>>> it. I heard it can
>>> slow down your internet connection. Again, since I am not familiar with
>>> it, I don't know how to verify those claims.
>>>

>> It's a sure bet it will become more widely used in the near future.
>> Heck, if it were more widely adopted everyone could get a static IP
>> address at birth. Ric
>>

> Will it eventually replace IPv4? Or will it always be a supplement?

Yes. In the future it will be impossible for every computer to maintain
an IPv4 address. There just aren't enough, even with NAT.

Matt Flaschen