Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Default IPv6

Pastor JW wrote:
> Guess I'm getting too old for this stuff as guess what my problem has
been for the last
> couple weeks? Yep!

I don't suppose you've actually filed a bug. That would require
demonstrating a real problem with the implementation.

Lots of people think things are buggy without knowing the correct behavior.

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 11:53:04 pm Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
> > Guess I'm getting too old for this stuff as guess what my problem has
>
> been for the last
>
> > couple weeks? Yep!
>
> I don't suppose you've actually filed a bug. That would require
> demonstrating a real problem with the implementation.

You know, because I did find it in my book later, I likely did file that bug
but it was of course the Mandriva distro. It seems they actually did a bit
in their errata page later about it for 2008.0 I think it was.

> Lots of people think things are buggy without knowing the correct behavior.

I think it is because people expect things to work, not just decide to not
allow an inet connected computer to never connect to a needed URL.
Personally, I thought it was likely a virus till this thread snapped my
memory back into place. If I remember correctly, the last time this happened
it was Yahoo that I couldn't connect to but I could connect to nearly
everything else I tried.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Pastor JW said the following at 02/04/2009 09:56 AM :

>> Lots of people think things are buggy without knowing the correct behavior.
>
> I think it is because people expect things to work, not just decide to not
> allow an inet connected computer to never connect to a needed URL.

So I'm still completely at a loss as to what this buggy implementation of
IPv6 is supposed to be. Please provide a detailed example of where the
current Linux implementation does not follow one of the pertinent RFCs.

I am only too happy to file a bug report on your behalf against the kernel
if you would only be precise. So far all I've seen is vague claims; the
kernel people will need a precise description.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 02-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Pastor JW wrote:
>>> couple weeks? Yep!
>> I don't suppose you've actually filed a bug. That would require
>> demonstrating a real problem with the implementation.
>
> You know, because I did find it in my book later, I likely did file that bug
> but it was of course the Mandriva distro. It seems they actually did a bit
> in their errata page later about it for 2008.0 I think it was.

I'm going to wait for an actual bug ID.

>> Lots of people think things are buggy without knowing the correct behavior.
>
> I think it is because people expect things to work, not just decide to not
> allow an inet connected computer to never connect to a needed URL.

Somehow I doubt the Linux IPv6 stack arbitrarily blocks IPv4
connections. You were likely dealing with a problem in a server's IPv6
configuration.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Øystein Dale

Can any one tell me how i can remove/disable ipV6 in Debian with Gnome

Ø.Dale

Old 03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Sjors Gielen

Øystein Dale schreef:

Can any one tell me how i can remove/disable ipV6 in Debian with Gnome

Ø.Dale

Remove IPv6? First of all, why? Second, from where?

Sjors

Old 03-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Øystein Dale

Debian it self is very slow on downloading files, so i wish to stop the
tcp/ip V6 support and just have the V4 in use as i have done for faster
browsing in both iceweasel and epiphany, since V6 is not supported all
over the nett yet

Ø.Dale

Old 03-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Sjors Gielen

Øystein Dale schreef:

Debian it self is very slow on downloading files, so i wish to stop the
tcp/ip V6 support and just have the V4 in use as i have done for faster
browsing in both iceweasel and epiphany, since V6 is not supported all
over the nett yet

Ø.Dale

There must be some kind of routing problem. For websites that do not
currently support v6, v4 is used automatically. If you are sure you
don't want IPv6 support in your system, add this line to
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:

blacklist ipv6

Then, to make the changes apply directly without a reboot, run:
# modprobe -r ipv6

Again - you should look into that routing problem, there's something
wrong there. Anyway, this should work as a temporary hotfix for you.

Sjors

Old 03-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Øystein Dale

thanks

Old 03-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Øystein Dale

thanks for mentioning routing problem, started in the front and found a
fw i had forgotten all about.