Old 02-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Derek Broughton

Default Last 100 changed files?

Paul Rumelhart wrote:

> John Culleton wrote:
>> On Saturday 31 January 2009 06:00:54 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way that a user can list the last 100 changed files in
>>> his home directory? I mean to do this _without_ resorting to the
>>> console? See the comments here for why I ask:
>>> http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/27/display-last-100-changed-files/
>>>
>> It would not be that difficult to write a program to do this. That is
>> what someone did for windows. But I don't know what the market for
>> such a program would be, or how slow it would run.
>>

> All the program would have to do is run the appropriate CLI command and
> splat the results into a window. Something similar to: "find ~ -ctime 1
> -printf "%CY-%Cm-%Cd %CH:%CM:%CS %p
" | sort -r | head -100".

There! You've done all the heavy lifting - the only problem is that this is
Gnu/Linux, FlOSS and all that, and there _isn't_ a market :-) But you're
right - there's not a lot to do after getting "find" to do all the work.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Is there a way that a user can list the last 100 changed files in his
> home directory? I mean to do this _without_ resorting to the console?
> See the comments here for why I ask:
> http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/27/display-last-100-changed-files/

Not that I know of. I'm not sure why one would want a quarter-meg GUI
app for such a limited purpose. (Though I do like how supporting two
OSes makes it "portable").

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Johnny Ernst Nielsen

Greetings Derek )

søndag den 1. Februar 2009 kvad Derek Broughton:
> Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:
> > We're drifting...
>
> How so? We' re still discussing exactly what was asked in the
> original post.

Sorry - my bad )

> > lørdag den 31. Januar 2009 kvad Derek Broughton:

> >> Sure - it just doesn't seem that important to use it if all you
> >> want is to look at the contents of your home directory.
> >
> > While it may not be important to me or you, it may be important
> > to the OP.
> > I just answer the OP's question as best I can. )
>
> As did I - he said he wanted to search his home directory, so kfind
> is overkill for that.

I will leave it up to the OP to figure out if kfind is overkill for
him. )

As far as I know neither Konqueror nor Dolphin has any means of
limiting the listed files to 100.

While kfind doesn't have a file number limit as such, one can make an
approximate limit through playing with the modification time limits.

Now the OP knows that there is an existing gui application he can try
out, to see if it's good enough for him )

Well, at least in KDE3. I don't know if kfind is in KDE4.

> >> Ah... I mistook your comment as applying to specific versions,
> >> rather than Kubuntu vs "standard" KDE (is there really such a
> >> thing?)
> >
> > I would say that the KDE source package that is released from the
> > KDE project, is considered "the standard KDE package", i.e.
> > "vanilla KDE".
> > I'm sure you know that different distributions then make more or
> > less changes to KDE when they integrate KDE into their particular
> > flavour of a distribution.
>
> Well, afaik they _all_ make changes, so I'm not sure anybody really
> runs a vanilla KDE.

I'm sorry, I was a bit short in my info.
I should also have said that the person who helped the new user, was
in the "I roll 'em mysef" league.
So while the KDE3 that came with the new user's distribution was
probably more or less different from vanilla KDE3, the helper's KDE3
was vanilla, and that was his foundation of help to give.

The point of all this is, that my understanding, based on the help
given back then, is that apparantly back then kfind was part of
vanilla KDE3, and it was in the K menu.

This is not my own personal experience, since I have never rolled KDE
myself. I just remember what others have once stated.

Sorry again for the missing info.

> > I simply recall a message on a list like this, helping a new user
> > finding "the search application" in the menu of "vanilla KDE3",
> > in the process telling that it was called kfind.
>
> Well, it's definitely worthwhile to mention that - I've been using
> KDE for over 10 years, and until 4.1, and no embedded kfind in
> konqueror, I had never actually known that kfind was a separate
> application. The embedded kfind may well be the thing I miss most.

I'm sorry, I was talking about an entry in the K menu - not in
Konqueror.

> > What KDE4 is like I have no idea, since I haven't used it yet.
> > (Plan to, though, when kubuntu 9.4 comes out ))
>
> And if you have managed not to switch yet, there's no good reason
> to until 9.04! I like what's there in 4.1, but it's just a crying
> shame that there isn't _enough_ in 4.1!

Which is why I have stayed with kubuntu 7.10 and KDE3 so far.
But I really do appreciate all the early adopters.
They are the ones who have filed bug reports to push KDE4 to where it
is today.
And I really appreciate all the work that the developers have done on
advancing KDE4 and fixing bugs.
KDE4 is for sure travelling in the right direction )
Thanks everybody )

Best regards

Johnny )